K&N air filter?! yes or no???

16 replies to this topic
  • boer

Posted February 02, 2006 - 03:27 AM

What are your opinions on the K&N air filters?? :thumbsup:

• Matty05

Posted February 02, 2006 - 03:45 AM

Seems like a big waste of money to me (says the guy with the expensive exhaust! :thumbsup: ), you could buy 5 or so twinair's for what they want for the K&N. Less fiddling around too.

I am sure they are great, I am sure that they work, but they are a big no no for dusty conditions as fine particles go straight through. I ride dusty conditions half the year, wet conditions the other half. You can get "filter chargers" for them which stops most of the crap and all the water though.

I had a K&N rampod intake on my Honda Accord Euro (Acura TSX in USA), it really kicked ass, but personally I wouldn't get one for the bike. That is just me.

• boer

Posted February 02, 2006 - 04:05 AM

So Matty, in your opinion are the twinair filters the best currently available. As you can imagine the desert dust/sand is bad here in Dubai and I want the best for my baby! :thumbsup:

• Matty05

Posted February 02, 2006 - 04:44 AM

So Matty, in your opinion are the twinair filters the best currently available. As you can imagine the desert dust/sand is bad here in Dubai and I want the best for my baby! :thumbsup:

I wouldn't say that twinair's the best, but that is what I use.
They really last a very very long time, I have mates that wash theirs in petrol and it doesn't harm them one bit. The glue that they use to bond the filter together is what seems to be the best. Foam is foam.

They provide way more surface area than K&N to trap dust.

In dusty conditions, I use a airfilter oil that you have to squeese through. In the wet, I use an aerosol spray oil that you spray on thinly, because you don't have to deal with dust and it is 10x easier to use and 10x less messy.

For dusty conditions I highly recommend "filter skins". They are a pre-filter, somewhat like a stocking cover, that you spray on some filter oil. When they get dirty, just pull it off and presto, brand new filter. You can keep some in your bag if it is really dusty to change now and again on your ride. I don't change my filter half as much as I used to, and they are a crap load easier to clean.

I could post pics if you really really like.

• boer

Posted February 02, 2006 - 05:19 AM

Could I use a stocking as a prefilter or filter skin??

• Matty05

Posted February 02, 2006 - 05:59 AM

I guess, the filter skins are thicker therefore trap a heap more dirt.

This is what I am on about:
http://www.pcracingu...filterskins.php

• bluethundaaaa

Posted February 02, 2006 - 03:56 PM

For the money and the ease of use I use Ready racing filters. At $8 or $10 a pop I just toss them. No more cleaning. I have checked my carb and the airway from the filter to the valves and they seem to work very well for me. I have 3 UNI's that are cleaned and ready to use in case I run out of Ready Racing filters but as I said for ease of use you can't go wrong. :thumbsup:

• WildRide

Posted February 02, 2006 - 05:38 PM

Look here http://home.usadatan...5011/SPICER.htm
it is a truck filter test but it kinda shows how well the K&N filters out dust(or doesn't). IMHO I thought the test was well done.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Matty05

Posted February 02, 2006 - 06:20 PM

Look here http://home.usadatan...5011/SPICER.htm
it is a truck filter test but it kinda shows how well the K&N filters out dust(or doesn't). IMHO I thought the test was well done.

I have seen similar tests in some 4x4 magazines here in Australia. Also lots of articles on how they pass dust. The gause is just not thick enough.

Just google K&N and dust! You will be suprised!

• Blutarsky

Posted February 12, 2006 - 09:42 PM

Ok...here is my question. The UNI filter passed more dirt/dust than the K&N. So how do stock and/or Twinair or other foam filters compare to the UNI Comparing the K&N or UNI to multi-layer dry element filters is really not a valid comparison....as we can't use those in dirt bikes. Seems to me that the UNI and the K&N both suck. I am not sure that the UNI is that much worse than the other foam element fileter (ie stock, etc....)...meaning all our choices are less than great...

• Matty05

Posted February 12, 2006 - 10:52 PM

Ok...here is my question. The UNI filter passed more dirt/dust than the K&N. So how do stock and/or Twinair or other foam filters compare to the UNI Comparing the K&N or UNI to multi-layer dry element filters is really not a valid comparison....as we can't use those in dirt bikes. Seems to me that the UNI and the K&N both suck. I am not sure that the UNI is that much worse than the other foam element fileter (ie stock, etc....)...meaning all our choices are less than great...

What was your question again?

That's why we have to use filter oil! The gause on the k&n type filters is not thick enough to trap the dirt particles, the foam types are. The stock filter is fine for the job, but it is crappy and won't last long.

• 642MX

Posted February 13, 2006 - 11:25 AM

I wouldn't run a K&N either. I've seen intake boots full of dirt particles because of them. My personal preference is UNI, they come a part in 2 pieces and I think you can get them cleaner than a filter that is glued together.

• SJMC_DON

Posted February 13, 2006 - 12:32 PM

I was not impressed with the sealing of the Twin Air on my 04', it just did'nt seem to seat properly. I have two OEM's and I feel that they are about the best fit you can get and offer more surface area than twin air or uni :thumbsup:

• Blutarsky

Posted February 14, 2006 - 10:41 AM

What was your question again?

That's why we have to use filter oil! The gause on the k&n type filters is not thick enough to trap the dirt particles, the foam types are. The stock filter is fine for the job, but it is crappy and won't last long.

My point is that you are all comparing the K&N to a multi-element traditional dry automotive filter...and the K&N is not nearly as good...so you declare that it sucks.

But the UNI filter sucks even worse. I assumed that the UNI filter for the test was properly oiled. If so....it is clear that is also is not too great. So my question was with regards to other foam element filters like TWin Air or stock. I really don't think they are that much better than UNIs. That means NONE of our dirt bike filters work very well compared to std automotive filters.

• Matty05

Posted February 14, 2006 - 07:36 PM

My point is that you are all comparing the K&N to a multi-element traditional dry automotive filter...and the K&N is not nearly as good...so you declare that it sucks.

But the UNI filter sucks even worse. I assumed that the UNI filter for the test was properly oiled. If so....it is clear that is also is not too great. So my question was with regards to other foam element filters like TWin Air or stock. I really don't think they are that much better than UNIs. That means NONE of our dirt bike filters work very well compared to std automotive filters.

Yep, foam is foam, it is the glues they use to hold them together that is the difference.

It sounds like the unifilter was not oiled. :thumbsup:
If you don't oil you filter, what is the dirt and dust going to stick too?

Foam just works better than gauze (when oiled) because it is thicker, air doesn't have a clear path to flow through and more surface area for oil to sit and catch the dust.

* The GYT-R filters look remarkably like a unifilter to me!!!!!

• BajaFool

Posted February 14, 2006 - 09:16 PM

I insisted on a genuine Yamaha air filter when I ordered a spare for a trip down the Baja pennisula on my 2003 WR450F. The filter had TwinAir printed on it and it came in a Yamaha part bag. A number of my friends and I have had bad luck with Unifilters on our motorcycles over the years, they are too restrictive and make the engine run rich. I had the same problem with a Unifilter on my 1999 Ford SuperDuty F250 truck. The Unifilter, freshly serviced out of the box, measured very restricted on the air intake vacuum gauge installed on the truck. I removed the Unifilter and installed a paper filter. The high vacuum reading disappeared.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted February 15, 2006 - 05:56 AM

I've been using UNI's for quite a long time. I think they do a great job, the seal area is real nice. I use a generous amount of grease around the seal and I use Motorex oil, no problems.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.