getting an 06 yz450f to 96db or below?

18 replies to this topic
  • velosapiens

Posted February 01, 2006 - 03:10 PM

one of the many new bikes i'm considering is a yz450f, to set up for enduro and dezert. for enduro (and also because i hate noisy bikes), it's GOTTA test at 96db reliably. anyone else done this to a recent yz?

i really like the idea of the yz weight, suspension and motor, but i'm not sure the noise and the inconvenience of no e-start or lights is worth it. maybe i'd be better off with a wr or husky and getting some suspension work done and living with the weight.

• yz250ftony

Posted February 01, 2006 - 03:16 PM

FMF Q2 pipe slip on is rated undert 96. I'm getting one for my yz because the Dr. D isn't sound legal here.

• RacersRefuge

Posted February 01, 2006 - 05:12 PM

If you add the Pro Moto Billet spark arrestor to your stock pipe, then you can use their silent insert which is guaranteed to be 96 DB or lower. Plus, their new design, which is coming out for release soon(it's already out for the crf250), is sweet looking!

• darth

Posted February 01, 2006 - 06:03 PM

You could put a $299 ti-power core slip on from FMF, then spend 30 bucks on the insert, and its under 96db. Not too much performance loss either.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted February 01, 2006 - 09:31 PM

Velo, after reading many of your posts, I am sure you can handle any bike. However, I am just coming off a WR to my YZ and there is a huge difference. I am thinking for the way I understand that you ride, go with the YZ. In addition to the suggestions you have already got on the 96db, I have heard that Pro Circut and CRD both have 96 db options. I got the silent insert for my DR.D but havent tested it yet. Good luck man.

• aford541

Posted February 01, 2006 - 11:21 PM

one of the many new bikes i'm considering is a yz450f, to set up for enduro and dezert. for enduro (and also because i hate noisy bikes), it's GOTTA test at 96db reliably. anyone else done this to a recent yz?

i really like the idea of the yz weight, suspension and motor, but i'm not sure the noise and the inconvenience of no e-start or lights is worth it. maybe i'd be better off with a wr or husky and getting some suspension work done and living with the weight.

the dirt rider test rates the 06 450's like this

Yamaha 95.9 DB
KTM 96.7 DB
Suzuki 96.4 DB
Kawasaki 96.8 DB
Honda 95.4 DB

It seems like any one of them with a FMF power bomb header would consistently pass 96 db the power bomb is supposed to be good for 1.5 DB.

• djo269

Posted February 02, 2006 - 01:22 AM

What about a set-up like...the FMF Q2 silencer with the megabomb header?
That could cut down on your noise and wallet some.

• ovrrdrive

Posted February 02, 2006 - 02:15 AM

If you add the Pro Moto Billet spark arrestor to your stock pipe, then you can use their silent insert which is guaranteed to be 96 DB or lower. Plus, their new design, which is coming out for release soon(it's already out for the crf250), is sweet looking!

Actually, the 250f has a 96db insert that says it will beat the 96db test, but the QI for the 450 still says "your PMB spark arrested YZ 400/426/450F, KTM, Husaberg, Cannondale, VOR, or TM by 4-5 db. "

This 4-5db reduction is 4-5 less than the PMB insert without the QI, it's not compared to the stock pipe.

I have it in my PMB end cap and am pretty happy with it, but last I heard the 450 with the QI blows around 100db. I didn't see on their site where it was guaranteed to pass the 96db test...

• velosapiens

Posted February 02, 2006 - 09:24 AM

the dirt rider test rates the 06 450's like this

Yamaha 95.9 DB
KTM 96.7 DB
Suzuki 96.4 DB
Kawasaki 96.8 DB
Honda 95.4 DB

It seems like any one of them with a FMF power bomb header would consistently pass 96 db the power bomb is supposed to be good for 1.5 DB.

i hadn't seen this info. is it in the newest issue?

i'm hoping to avoid spending $400 or so for a new exhaust (what a freakin' ripoff) if possible, so one of those aftermarket insert gizmos might be the ticket. i'm just being greedy about the weight and suspension. heck, i'd probably be happy with the power of a wr450f with the free mods, and those things are supposed to be extremely quiet.

thanks for all the info.

-mark

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KTMKarl

Posted February 02, 2006 - 10:14 AM

I've been bitten by the insert game before. Drove from southwest MO to Idaho for a qualifier with a $400 quiet Doma pipe and a pro-moto insert and if it weren't for creative CHEATING I would have had to put my 04 YZF 250 on the truck! Wierd though cuz riding with it you would swear it was way less noisey than stock but the Db meters consitently put it at the same or even louder during several tests. Be very careful putting a cork in the back of a pipe does not always make it quieter (to a meter) nor does it keep anywhere near the same performance as stock and/or a properly designed Q series (baffles and chambers) type can FMF/ CRD ect..
Ironically with my 250f experience came the knowledge that the High RPM power isn't usually where you will notice a power loss with a cork it is the throttle response that will usually suffer. Hence the dyno charts that show little or no power loss, however most folks will feel the loss at the Butt-o-meter as a loss of response/slow power build. You can't go wrong with the FMF Q's they aren't nesecarily sexy looking but they work with minimal losses.

• RacersRefuge

Posted February 02, 2006 - 01:25 PM

Doma's are WAY loud pipes. My friend had one on his 03 YZ250F and I had a Yoshimura tri oval on my 03 YZ450. I couldn't hear my bike when I was next to him. KTMKarl, where were you at in Idaho? If you have any problems with anything from Pro Moto Billet, talk to Randy at that same company. They are really good about making things right.

• velosapiens

Posted February 02, 2006 - 01:41 PM

KTMKarl, where were you at in Idaho?

i'm guessing he was at idaho city, home of the western isde qualifier. they are pretty finicky about sound regs there. they even have a secret sound check part way through the race, to get the guys who try the steel wool trick. i will be doing that race and probably the colorado isde qualifier as well, which is one of the reasons i'm so concerned that bike be absolutely below 96db. my 2stroke tests at 93.

• KTMKarl

Posted February 02, 2006 - 02:49 PM

Yep that was the place! made it up there in 04. Never seen so many P'd off CR500 owners in one place before! They were cutting laps around the sound test area, packing this here and that there, foam on the skid plate the whole deal just praying to get in the race!
Yeah the Doma was loud and late I might add, My running buddy had the cash options so he ordered a Doma and a FMF Q, he ended up with the Q and an extra Doma! I waited till the last couple of days for my Doma to come in and by then it was too late too turn back.
The folks at the race were exceptionally helpful, I learned a lot from them in a couple trips through and we came VERY close to getting through with out resorting to the scotch brite pads in the pipe trick! I was sweating bullets all day long worried about another sound test, so much that I was constantly adjusting my fuel screw to keep her running clean.
the pipe did perform well but it was bought with the sole intention of getting past a 96db test and it failed that miserably, in fact for the BJEC races I always tried to run the stock pipe as it was consitently more responsive and just as quiet. I had a buddy with a stereo shop and access to some high dollar sound measuring equipment we played around with some stuff and found that the "cork" caps were comparitively ineffective next to a chambered muffler. In fact more than one test resulted in NO change with or without a cork! part of that is the carb tuning needed to compensate for the cork but it happens just the same. I had better results playing with TP settings and pilot/needle combos than corks.
Another amazing factor that will likely come into play on the new Alloy bikes is the noise of the engine itself ie; clutch clatter, piston noise ect.. it really gets amplified by skid plates, carbon in particular will affect sound tests, acoustically "dead" foam is your best friend here or in a pinch look for some thick wet mud to pack into the skid plate area (one reason it is usually easier to get by a sound test post race) Another reason to look towards a pipe that is TOO quiet to begin with.

PS: nothing against Pro-moto their part of the product was by far higher on the quality scale, I just have issues with the basic technology used.

• RacersRefuge

Posted February 02, 2006 - 02:51 PM

Never raced over there. I'm a "moto baby" a you guys would say. Well, mostly at least. I did a desert race and a WORCS style race. I rode in the hills around Boise and Mtn Home. Never had to worry about sound in my races.

• DaveJ

Posted February 02, 2006 - 02:57 PM

Mark,

By law, your bike had to ship with a system that would meet a 96dB requirement.

Additionally, the test standard allows a 1.5 variance, when tested as a means of enforcement.

After market systems could lower this value, but only by way of replacing the existing muffler.

Lastly, if you have the means, you can also modify mufflers in various ways to reduce noise or shift the power range.

I'm surprised that so many TTers jumped at telling you that you would have to replace the factory system. :thumbsup:

• CISCO

Posted February 02, 2006 - 07:38 PM

Q2 and power bomb header. The power is very nice for offroad as well with that set up and the cool bronze pipe matches the anodize color of the 06 triple clamps :thumbsup: like that really matters but hey it looks good.
Hows it going anyway Mark? Freezing to death out there in BFE?

• aford541

Posted February 02, 2006 - 09:17 PM

i hadn't seen this info. is it in the newest issue?

i'm hoping to avoid spending $400 or so for a new exhaust (what a freakin' ripoff) if possible, so one of those aftermarket insert gizmos might be the ticket. i'm just being greedy about the weight and suspension. heck, i'd probably be happy with the power of a wr450f with the free mods, and those things are supposed to be extremely quiet.

thanks for all the info.

-mark

Yes 2-21-06 issue my 06 didn't seem that much quieter than my 05 with the carbon pro but who knows maybe I'm already deaf

• 08greenbike

Posted February 02, 2006 - 10:30 PM

Your Abslutley Correct.i Was 2 Db Over With That Set Up.park Ranger Says 05's Will Pass And None Of The 06 Have Passed Yet Hear In Hollister Hills,ca.
I Made A Little Insert To Slip In The Muffler.i'm Back To Re-test This Weekend.

• aford541

Posted February 02, 2006 - 11:24 PM

Someone needs to make a flow master type muffler for these things, I think that would work great, I think they used a simliar muffler type on some of those xr750 harleys to get them quiet.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.