05 yz 450

4 replies to this topic
  • realRage

Posted February 01, 2006 - 02:47 PM

I have a few questions that maybe you guys could help me out with. I'm looking for a bike to race for two seasons. I'm from canada so that's about seven months per season, and I'll race every weekend. I have limited income to spend on repairs thus the 250 two stroke was my bike of choice. However, I found an 05 yz450 with 15-18 hours on it at a pretty decent price, 5300 canadian. So my questions would be, (cause I don't know anything about fourstokes) how much repair and maintenance do you think I'd have to do to make it last one or two seasons. Also what is the worst case scenario for cost repair? I'd like to know realistically how much a blown 450 would set me back, that's worst case. Lastly, how do you think this bike would fare over a season, more preferably two seasons. I've never owned or raced a four stroke and I'm really concerned that I'll get burned by it financially. Sorry for the long drawn out post, your response would be :thumbsup: sweet.

• flintlock28

Posted February 01, 2006 - 04:38 PM

Hi,

I don't race, but I do have a 2004 Yz 450f.

I bought the bike back in May 2005, with about 45 or 50 hours on it (off road riding only, no MX time) and I have put about 35 hours off road, and about 10 hours MX track on it.

So far I have had Zero problems......the Yamaha's probably have the most durable, least problematic valvetrain compared to any other MX or off-road bikes. The Titanium 5 valve setup, allows the use of lighter valves, and lighter springs which results in more durability because you're not putting as much strain on the valvetrain, compared to 4 valves that are heavier, and thus tax the valvetrain more.

I'm getting ready to check the valve clearances soon......I have never checked them yet, and I don't think the previous owner did either. I have heard of some individuals checking them with even 300 hours or so runtime, and they were right on spec.

If you get the bike, one of the most important things to do is to change the oil frequently....remember, the transmission and engine share the oil, so it's in your best interests to change it often. I do every 10 hours of runtime, but if I were going to race, I'd probably do it after every 2 races or so.

Sorry I can't help about the costs etc., somebody will chime in soon though.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • riderman329

Posted February 01, 2006 - 05:41 PM

the motors are so damn reliable, that it almost unlike for the bike to have motor problems

you'll just have your normal parts the wear out, but now you also need oil fliters and it's always good to have extra around!!!

• Butta

Posted February 02, 2006 - 07:09 AM

It's a great bike and the perfect choice for what you want....competitive and dependable. I've got over 45 hours on mine since new and the valves are in spec as of last week. Change the oil (I recommend every 5 hours or 2 races) keep the filter clean (air and oil). "An ounce of prevention is a pound of cure" holds true.....

• KillerHiller

Posted February 03, 2006 - 09:22 PM

As stated, the things are bullet proof, but to answer your question to fix a blown topend/ valve train failure, $1000 to $3000. Thats a broad range, but it can get up there. There are many CRF horror stories that have fallen into that range. Not nearly as many YZF misfortunes.

As you know, the 2-smoker would be in the $200 to $500 range.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.