long or short WR450 maintenance intervals?

7 replies to this topic
  • Velocibiker

Posted February 01, 2006 - 12:38 PM

I'm thinking of picking up a 450 and plating it. How are the "routine" maintenance schedules on these?

Oil:
Valves:

What about other stuff like shock linkage...

Anything a real PITA to service?

For comparison, my KTM Adventure is 5K between oil changes. Uses two filters & 3 drain plugs. Takes me about 20 minutes for an oil change. Valves are also every 5K or once a year. Takes maybe 5 minutes to actually check and adjust, but another 1/2 hour to tear it all down to get access to the valves, then put it all back together. Everything else is pretty basic. Nothing harder or easier than any other bike I've owned....

• tigerowner_ut

Posted February 01, 2006 - 03:50 PM

The oil capacity of the WR is way less than your 640. I would use synthetics and change every 1000 miles. Valves don't move much after breakin. Service the chassis like any other bike. The WR is near bulletproof but regular fluid changes are required.

• Beejay

Posted February 02, 2006 - 02:04 AM

Yes I agree change oil every 1000km's but use a semi synthetic otherwise you might experience clutch slippage. The rest is not required as often as some would claim, I'd check the valves every 5000km's or so.

• Matty05

Posted February 02, 2006 - 03:55 AM

The oil capacity of the WR is way less than your 640. I would use synthetics and change every 1000 miles. Valves don't move much after breakin. Service the chassis like any other bike. The WR is near bulletproof but regular fluid changes are required.

You calling 1000 miles regular??? :bonk:

:thumbsup: That is way too long to go with out changing oil.
The manual states oil changes every 1000kms (~600 mile), which is way too long if you actually ride the bike. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Matty05

Posted February 02, 2006 - 04:29 AM

Valve adjustment takes way longer on these bikes, not half as easy as the KTM's. We have to pull the head apart to do it!

Checking them is about a 1/2 an hour job from start to finish. Valve clearances on Yamaha's are very notorius for not moving much at all if any for 1000's of kms after break in, so adjustment is some what very rare.

Oil changes are piss easy, I stick to 5 hrs engine time (~500 or so kms for me) with a new filter every change too. It always has a bit of a metallic shimmer to it, I would really hate to see it after 1600 kms (1000 miles). Some people here would only change their oil once every 2 years if they stuck to that! :thumbsup:

Fresh oil is cheap and the bikes really like it. We only have 1 filter and 3 drain points too.

Your adventure is some what of a touring bike, the WR's are way more race orientated. We have higher comperssion and higher rev limit on our bikes and as a result, more frequent services are needed. Our bikes hold less oil with 1.2 litres. Saying that, they are very very reliable, as everyone here will actually all agree on.

Have a look at the KTM 450 and 525 exc? They are better than the WR in many ways, and you are used to orange. They just cost more for parts. These also require about the same maintenance as the WR's.

• tigerowner_ut

Posted February 02, 2006 - 11:50 AM

You calling 1000 miles regular??? :bonk:

:thumbsup: That is way too long to go with out changing oil.
The manual states oil changes every 1000kms (~600 mile), which is way too long if you actually ride the bike. :thumbsup:

I am assuming that he is replacing his adventure and Dual Sporting the WR. If all dirt then after every couple of full trail days. If on dunes, racing or other engine stressing ride then change after the ride. All rides are not the same.

• Matty05

Posted February 02, 2006 - 01:31 PM

I am assuming that he is replacing his adventure and Dual Sporting the WR. If all dirt then after every couple of full trail days. If on dunes, racing or other engine stressing ride then change after the ride. All rides are not the same.

:thumbsup: - I still would hope you would hope that he at least would follow the bare minimum recommendations in the manual!

• Velocibiker

Posted February 07, 2006 - 01:47 PM

Thanks everybody.

Little more educated. Hmmmm....

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.