Fork leg protectors

13 replies to this topic
  • ktmmax

Posted February 01, 2006 - 10:13 AM

My friend has a 2002 650 and wants a set of lower fork leg protectors. He has pictures of the 650's Hionda had at the Baja 1000 and it looks like they have a hard plastic type of protector. Does anyone know of a company that makes these type of protectors?

• nate992v

Posted February 01, 2006 - 10:34 AM

Acerbis makes covers.

• TimBrp

Posted February 01, 2006 - 10:48 AM

Not for the 650R they don't...or didn't. XR's only sells them but it's only a modded pair of XR400 ones. Get the XR400 set and you can mod them right up. Just have to add two wholes on the caliper side for a new ziptie.

• emyhrer

Posted February 01, 2006 - 12:32 PM

You mean like these from Precision Concepts?

XR650R Carbon Fiber Fork Guards

• ktmmax

Posted February 01, 2006 - 01:27 PM

Yes. I believe those are what he is looking for.

Thanks

• scooter1100

Posted February 01, 2006 - 02:58 PM

I saw a set on another forum, He took the right diam pcv pipe and notched and split it with a jigsaw in all the right places and snapped em on. cheap and bullet proof IMO

• wr450fyamaha

Posted February 01, 2006 - 07:28 PM

I saw a set on another forum, He took the right diam pcv pipe and notched and split it with a jigsaw in all the right places and snapped em on. cheap and bullet proof IMO

thats actually a good idea....it would cost about 50 cents...if ya broke one, make another.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Potts228

Posted February 02, 2006 - 11:36 AM

You mean like these from Precision Concepts?

XR650R Carbon Fiber Fork Guards

The PC ones are very cool but break easy. They are also $65.00 a pair so when they break it doesn't feel very good.

• needsprayer

Posted February 03, 2006 - 06:04 AM

How about a little overkill with ABS Schedule 40 pipe. I've been told I could cut through barbed wire.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• FOUR STOKED

Posted February 03, 2006 - 11:29 PM

Those look great needsprayer! I wonder if you could get away without the stock fork boots when the new protectors are on? :thumbsup: I think I may try it. :thumbsup:

• needsprayer

Posted February 04, 2006 - 07:08 AM

I figure the stock fork protectors keep alot of sand dust off the tubes. The homemade ABS fork protectors keep the tubes from being dinged.

I used flat bar aluminum to attach the ABS to the triple clamp. Requires some twisting of the flat bar to get the right setup. The reason I put on the Race Tech stickers is to cover up some holes. Being a prototype I found I had to redrill the ABS to get the best fit.

They are also attached to the fender. You can see a black spot on the inside of the fender. That's a nut covered with black silicone.

Did you notice the bottom of the stock protectors. That's a homemade seal saver. Thin rubber sheet (gasket material) cut to wrap around the forks. The strap at the bottom is of the same material. Velcor is used to hold the pieces together. It's bulky and ugly but is works well. I lift up the stock protector, pull the strap off and remove the rubber protector to clean around the fork seals. Has held up very well.

• sgifford

Posted February 04, 2006 - 08:11 AM

I made a set like this for my 650L. The instructions are on 4strokes.com. They look nice, and they're very tough. Not to mention cheap! :thumbsup:

• oldturtle

Posted February 04, 2006 - 09:30 AM

I make lower fork guards for every conventional fork bike I own, see my sig. I use very thin wall plastic pipe, whatever I can find. Schedule 40 is a too thick and heavy IMO. A favorite of mine is vacuum cleaner plastic piping available in most big box home improvement stores. All you need is felt tip marker, tape measure, hack saw, files, and patience.

• sgifford

Posted February 04, 2006 - 10:15 PM

Here are a couple of pics with the homemade protectors. They are very tough.

http://image57.websh...40HvOhca_fs.jpg
http://image53.websh...40BCGnll_fs.jpg

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.