Message to Taffy

4 replies to this topic
  • Brett_Green

Posted September 16, 2001 - 09:25 PM

Taffy

Seems that you've got UK settings for a '99 sorted !!!!

Anyway, I was hoping to do some changes last week - but never got chance. I've just spent an hour reading various posts on jetting and am going to order the bits tomorrow.

This is what I'm going with. Love to hear your thoughts........

EKN #4
170 MAIN
48 PILOT
100 PILOT AIR
1-1.25 TURNS

I've got some 'gentle' trail riding planned for Sunday afternoon, so I'll be sticking with the 'CRD' enduro pipe and header (the std Yamaha kit doesn't stand up to a 50mph up-in-the-air loop-out!!). I'm on YZ timing with airbox cover removed.

Look forward to hearing from you.

• Taffy

Posted September 16, 2001 - 09:56 PM

brett

yep it's really singing at the moment. i get really busy this week but i would love to try a bit more.

my 165 MJ on a closed pipe and your 170MJ on an 'open' sounds right/close.

your 100PAJ dnd 48 PJ sounds a bit rich, especially with the APJ (accelerator pump jet). the EKP clip 4 is either a tad rich or spot on. i'm trying to jet my bike with no APJ and at some point my jetting and yours are going to be too far apart.

i'm giving you indicators here. so i hope this helps.

if you get slow revving and a muffled sound from the exhaust-you're rich. try the pilot screw in a .5 turn at a time. i would think that the 48 is good but a 45 might help it clear it's throat better!

i've been running virtually your set up with no APJ. my EMM and your EKN are very close. when i've finished this i'll give you all the word. if you're ordering bits tomorrow get yourself the PILOT AIRJET SCREW this replaces the PILOT AIR JET. get a 45+42 PJ.

that's it really. you've read 'jetting q' for the latest. the way things are headed i will be using a 40PJ soon.

good luck.

Taffy

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Brett_Green

Posted September 16, 2001 - 10:35 AM

Taffy

Thanks again for the assist. Just one thing to ask for now......what do you mean by this ?
"if you're ordering bits tomorrow get yourself the PILOT AIRJET SCREW this replaces the PILOT AIR JET. get a 45+42 PJ."

What should I be asking Allens R&D for?

Cheers

• Brett_Green

Posted September 16, 2001 - 10:51 AM

Taffy
Thanks again for the assist. Just one thing to ask for now......what do you mean by this ?
[QUOTE]"if you're ordering bits tomorrow get yourself the PILOT AIRJET SCREW this replaces the PILOT AIR JET. get a 45+42 PJ."[QUOTE]

What should I be asking Allens R&D for?

Cheers

------------------
'99 WR400 (UK), YZ timing, renthals, CRD enduro pipe & header,

• Taffy

Posted September 16, 2001 - 12:37 PM

in the front face of your carb, in a little pillbox type slit, you have a pilot jet and this is one of the variables. instaed of buying countless jets you can buy a screw that obviously enough can be wound in or out to be the equivelant of various sizes of jet. it's called the pilot air (jet) screw.

also while there you need to get one or two pilot jets and i recommend a 45 and 42. the next step if your going to attempt to follow my jetting eventuually is to get a 40.

don't follow me for now unless you're prepared to learn the hard way etc and do a lot of changes. wait until it's all done.

Taffy

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.