Clutch basket replacement

8 replies to this topic
  • jerryls

Posted February 01, 2006 - 09:58 AM

I'm replacing the clutch basket on my '04 WR. The manual shows a special tool needed to hold the basket when removing/installing it. What is everybody using instead of the special tool? Any install tips besides what's in the manual?

By the way, don't use Tusk clutch plates. One hour of riding after a fresh install, and the inner most friction plate self destructed and grooved the basket terribly. The $20 bucks I saved by using Tusk plates is now going to cost $200 for a new basket and $90 for OEM plates :thumbsup: . Expensive lesson.

Jerry

• GCannon

Posted February 01, 2006 - 01:51 PM

Use an air or electric impact wrench hold the clutch basket with a rag. Don't forget the washer tab. BTW have you checked out the Barnett clutch kit with the stainless steel wear guards that thing looks killer and the magazines (dirt rider) gave it a good review. Since you are replacing the basket you should consider the Barnett kit basket plates springs the whole deal.

• jnybbad1l40

Posted February 01, 2006 - 01:51 PM

This may be a stupid question, but did you pre-soak your plates in oil before you installed them? Putting in dry plates will do this. As far as the tool goes, they are cheap and work . You risk breaking the basket if you try and hold it another way. I have jamed wedges in the gears before to get them off but it isnt worth the risk.

• jerryls

Posted February 01, 2006 - 03:24 PM

This may be a stupid question, but did you pre-soak your plates in oil before you installed them? Putting in dry plates will do this. As far as the tool goes, they are cheap and work . You risk breaking the basket if you try and hold it another way. I have jamed wedges in the gears before to get them off but it isnt worth the risk.

Yeah, I soaked them. Not my first clutch replacement. The basket was in perfect shape when I changed the plates out. It was definitely the Tusk plates :thumbsup: .

Thanks for the tip.

Jerry

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Indy_WR450

Posted February 01, 2006 - 04:25 PM

Great point about the aftermarket plates. Sorry you had to learn the hard way. :thumbsup: It is very well known that the stock plates are unbeatable on all of the WR's and YZ's. :thumbsup:

• yamwr426

Posted February 01, 2006 - 04:34 PM

I use Tusk plates in my 426 with a Rekluse, no problems. I have used them in other bikes as well. Just my .02.

• RCannon

Posted February 01, 2006 - 05:47 PM

Jerry, if you ever have the chance, I would love to see a picture of the torn up plate. No special reason other than to see if it looks liek an ebc plate. Several have claimed the two are identical.

Rocky Mountain will give you a refund on the clutch kit. I have had to return several items to them. They have no problems giving you your money back on the stuff your not happy with.

• Alabama_Rider

Posted February 01, 2006 - 07:55 PM

I have been running Tusk on my WR for 2 months now and haven't had a problem.

• jerryls

Posted February 04, 2006 - 09:49 PM

Update: My inner clutch hub was also severly grooved at the base :thumbsup: . Add another $275 to the damages. :thumbsup: Thanks Tusk!

Jerry

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.