Bottom filter bolt

7 replies to this topic
  • k69mj

Posted February 01, 2006 - 02:02 AM

The thread in the case where the bottom filter bolt (Allen head) goes, seems to be going south. I have to retap the threaded hole every time I replace the oil filter, because I feel a lot of resistance when I try to thread the bolt in the hole. Anoyne tried to replace the tree bolts that hold the cover with threaded studs and then use some spring washers and nuts to hold the filter cover ?

• boer

Posted February 01, 2006 - 02:04 AM

That sounds like a good idea. Threadlock the studs in and use spring washers for the nuts. :thumbsup:

• Indy_WR450

Posted February 01, 2006 - 06:20 AM

I agree with your concept just put in a small length of all thread cut to the correct length and red loctite her in. Then the filter cover can be held on with a nylon lock nut and washer. :thumbsup:

• 642MX

Posted February 01, 2006 - 11:47 AM

Awesome idea. I just repaired the allen bolt on my fiancee's 250F, I used Permatex's stripped bolt repair kit. If I would have thought about the stud thing I might have tried that instead.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • moach1

Posted February 02, 2006 - 03:38 PM

great idea. will keep it in mind

• bg10459

Posted February 02, 2006 - 04:59 PM

The only drawback I see is that oil may not drain well from the filter cavity, leaving the potential for a messy oil change.

• GCannon

Posted February 02, 2006 - 05:06 PM

:thumbsup: How about you install a thread insert Helcoil and a new bolt as long as you can get the Tap in there and still turn it you should be good. You can even count the threads so you don't run the insert in too deep. One of these day you are going to have to strap on the "Big Balls" and fix it right. The tap you are cleaning the threads with now is just taking more and more metal out of the hole. :thumbsup:

• DPW

Posted February 02, 2006 - 05:13 PM

The only drawback I see is that oil may not drain well from the filter cavity, leaving the potential for a messy oil change.

That's the problem. When you use that bottom hole for a drain all the dirt and crude drains out the hole and some of it gets in the threads and dada over time the threads get funked up.

When I change the oil filter on my bike I lay the bike over to the left so no oil drains out the bottom filter hole.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.