Stock exhaust question....

4 replies to this topic
  • Scott_in_KC

Posted September 16, 2001 - 08:13 AM

Taking the end cap off and looking inside it appears to be a straight shot right through the can, with only the huge spark arrestor in the way. Is there something inbetween the header pipe & silencer, in that flanged area right before the silencer that I can't see, internal baffle or something? Just curious. I have read all the exhaust posts in the archives. Just seems like there should be an easy way to slip a different core in there and add some packing perhaps? Just thinking. I thought if nothing else that spark arrestor could be cut down by half and get rid of the solid end piece.

• Scott_in_KC

Posted September 17, 2001 - 02:53 AM

Never mind. I got a flashlight and probed around in there, I see the baffles back in there.

Has anyone tried drilling these out (like the DRZ guys do?)

Probably grasping at straws...might as well just get the e-series if it's gonna be this loud.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wayneoXCF

Posted September 17, 2001 - 03:26 AM

Some guys go with the vortip, although I dont think the difference is that great. It is kind of loud, but you should see the 2 smokes scrambling to get out of the way!
I have drilled the sh** out of my stock baffle, but only use it when Im putting around the neighborhood.

• mcarp

Posted September 17, 2001 - 03:26 AM

People just don't fuss with the stock anchor too much. They are just WAAAY to heavy to consider a permanent addition to the bike, so folks investment in personal R&D with it isn't much!

With YZ timing, the shape of this pipe is off by a longshot-performance will not be nearly the same as if using a stock YZ pipe.

The baffles are there to help increase backpressure slightly for good low end performance. Take those away and so does your low end.

• Scott_in_KC

Posted September 17, 2001 - 03:37 AM

Sooo...if I keep the WR timing so I want a different pipe?

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.