06 subframe

6 replies to this topic
  • yzf_guy

Posted January 31, 2006 - 08:45 PM

Has anybody else hard a hard time puting their subframe back on? Also the carb is a pain to take off as well. :thumbsup:

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted January 31, 2006 - 10:14 PM

You know, I heard someone else say they had a hard time and I was prepared for the worse. It really wasnt too bad. I left the whole air boot on the subframe, and it slide right back on. Just like that. Maybe I just got hella lucky. :thumbsup:

• yzf_guy

Posted January 31, 2006 - 10:35 PM

Coming off is smooth as ice and twice as nice, but installing and lining up all the holes for the bolts is a pain in the a$$. I was doing all this so I could install a new MSR fuel screw. I figured out that I had to take the shock off to move the carb enough.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Troutman

Posted February 01, 2006 - 07:36 AM

Coming off is smooth as ice and twice as nice, but installing and lining up all the holes for the bolts is a pain in the a$$. I was doing all this so I could install a new MSR fuel screw. I figured out that I had to take the shock off to move the carb enough.

NO, NO! To get to the carb just remove the tank then unscrew the hot start valve on top of the carb and remove it! that is the key. Once the hotstart is out you tilt the carb to the side and you have very good access to the bottom of the carb for your jetting needs and fuel screw. Also as far as the sub frame goes leave the air boot attached to the sub frame and loosen it at the carb, then remove it all as one piece and then install it again as 1 piece slipping the air boot over the carb. These tips make this bike easier to work on than my 426. A total re-jet with fuel screw took about 10min. Try it!! :thumbsup:

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted February 01, 2006 - 07:40 AM

Also as far as the sub frame goes leave the air boot attached to the sub frame and loosen it at the carb, then remove it all as one piece and then install it again as 1 piece slipping the air boot over the carb.

:thumbsup: Thats what I did, piece of cake. :thumbsup:

• yzf_guy

Posted February 01, 2006 - 06:27 PM

Thanks guys I will try that next time. I do leave the boot attached and take it of as an assembly though.

• Troutman

Posted February 02, 2006 - 12:26 PM

Thanks guys I will try that next time. I do leave the boot attached and take it of as an assembly though.

The boot does take a little maneuvering, assuming that you have the pipe off, (the can not the header), it will be a nightmare if you don't remove the pipe. I loosen the carb air boot clamp as much as possible without the screw falling out and then i spray a little WD-40 on my finger and swipe a very small amount on the end of the boot that will touch the carb first, (the very small 45 degree lip on the end of the boot, about 1mm wide) as you try and slide it back on. It took about a minute to connect. I have also heard that heating the end of the boot up with a hair dryer before install works as well. This is just what worked for me. :thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.