Questions for race preparations?

16 replies to this topic
  • OleFortThumper

Posted January 31, 2006 - 06:45 PM

I have a 2002 WR 426 that is for the most part bone stock (I've added a few cosmetics, ACERBIS handguards, UNI Filter, plastic...). I have been riding my whole life and raced motocross when I was younger. Growing up I didn't pay much attention to aftermarket mods; I just rode. I will be entering the AHSC series this year with this bike. A few years ago I raced an AHSC race on a DR 250 but at 5'11 205lbs I needed a bigger bike and also needed to get in better shape. After taking up mtn biking and dropping about 15lbs I'm ready to try it again. This is what I'd like to know: Can any of you enduro/harescramble guys tell me what I need to do to this bike before racing it. I will be ordering an exhaust system soon, and am looking at a White Bros. E-series S-Bend with the tapered head pipe. Is this a good system? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. PS-Nothing too fancy please; I am on a budget.

• 642MX

Posted January 31, 2006 - 07:25 PM

The 2 best mods you can do to a 426 are: install an automatic decompression cam, and install a Rekluse auto clutch.

• GCannon

Posted February 01, 2006 - 01:58 PM

:thumbsup: Do the free mods the Grey wire and remove the air box snorkel. Since I am 210lbs I cannot reccomend highly enough that you save the money and have the suspension resprung and revalved by someone who knows what they are doing. You will have more energy at the end of the race and your body will not HURT as bad. :thumbsup:

• CAVSCOUT96

Posted February 01, 2006 - 02:10 PM

:p Do the free mods the Grey wire and remove the air box snorkel. Since I am 210lbs I cannot reccomend highly enough that you save the money and have the suspension resprung and revalved by someone who knows what they are doing. You will have more energy at the end of the race and your body will not HURT as bad. :bonk:

:thumbsup: :bonk: :thumbsup: :eek:

1. ditch the pipe!!!! get the suspension setup properly first. Much better use of your cash.

2. I'm waiting for an '03 exhaust cam to arrive for my 400. It was $175 with shipping hereColumbus Cycle Shop

Seriously forget the pipe and go with these first.

BM

• SJMC_DON

Posted February 01, 2006 - 02:20 PM

Another vote for suspension :thumbsup: I have done just about everything in terms of mods to my 450 and 3 weeks ago I installed the correct springs per race tech's calculator (I weigh 220lbs) and I cannot say enough about the overall improvement in handling :bonk: The first race of the season is Saturday and I can't wait, at 39 yo I am the grandpa in my class but I think the new suspension is going to help me out at that 90 minute mark when all of those 30 year olds are just starting to break a sweat :eek:

Other must do's -

Make sure your runnin' HD Tubes, a flat in a race will piss you off :thumbsup:

Check your master link, a broken chain will also piss you off.

Any simple single point of failure is not excusable! Of course things will happen but if you pay attention to the little simple things that can end your day and make sure they are in good working order before the race your chances of finishing and ultimately winning are alot better :bonk:

Good Luck :p

• OleFortThumper

Posted February 01, 2006 - 06:46 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. Can my local Yamaha dealer do the suspension? So the suspension before the exhaust?

• CAVSCOUT96

Posted February 01, 2006 - 08:19 PM

definitely the suspension first. Where in AR are you located? The guy who did mine is in Austin, TX and he is a great suspension tuner. Give him a call, and maybe he can give you some details. He's a race tech certified tuner:

Dave Lampmann at Full Circle Cycle

He's also a HS MXer I took my ride in when I was at FT. Hood I'm sure you can UPS or FedEX yours in if you want.

Good luck!!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted February 01, 2006 - 08:36 PM

Suspension 1st. Just had mine redone and can't believe the difference. I don't wear down nearly as quick. A rekluse clutch is next once I have the $$'s. However, I have found that nothing better prepares for a race than being in shape...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • steve lemley

Posted February 01, 2006 - 09:40 PM

If you are doing enduros and scrambles I would say the best mods in this order are Suspension, then steering stab for the flats where you are wide open and an oversized tank, screw the pit stop, pass um all up I do. In my eyes the larrger tank allows me one free screw up on the track. See almost all pit to get gas so if they are going to stop for sure once and you dont have to with the larger tank then if you screw up once on the track you still have an equal time on the guys that must pit. And if you dont screw up, you are ahead of all of them on time!!! Then the pipe and perf. mods later. By that time your bike will feel like a cadallac and the additional power of the perf. mods will feel welcome and controllable over a long race. Just my opinion...

• Beejay

Posted February 02, 2006 - 02:13 AM

It's all been said by SJMC DON & steve lemley, couldn't agree more.

• OleFortThumper

Posted February 02, 2006 - 09:24 AM

Cavscout96; I'm located in Fort Smith, AR.

I checked with Pro-Action earlier today. The guy I talked to told me that they could do my suspension (front and back) for about $600. Is that a fair price?

• TWILES

Posted February 02, 2006 - 10:35 AM

My friend got his done for a couple hundred bucks. I wish I knew who did it. He's in western kentucky. If you are willing to ship your stuff, call one of there dealers here and mabey they could put you on someone. This area is full of good bike surgens.

• steve lemley

Posted February 02, 2006 - 11:00 AM

Seems pretty high man, it should be in the area of 100 for forks and 100 for spring and maybe 100 more for the complete bike set up in a shop with you on top of the bike adjusted to you perfect. 300 at the most any more than that is to much in my mind..........

• CAVSCOUT96

Posted February 02, 2006 - 02:24 PM

600 seems a little high, but 300 seems low to me. Dave at FCC did mine for about 425 which included new shock and fork springs,a complete shock rebuild, new Frok seals, adn setting up the sag. He gave me a 10% discount for military so I guess reg price was about 475. But it did include new spring which you might not need. Shop around a little and check shipping rates good luck!!

• CAVSCOUT96

Posted February 02, 2006 - 02:30 PM

600 seems a little high, but 300 seems low to me. Dave at FCC did mine for about 425 which included new shock and fork springs,a complete shock rebuild, new Frok seals, adn setting up the sag. He gave me a 10% discount for military so I guess reg price was about 475. But it did include new spring which you might not need. Shop around a little and check shipping rates good luck!!

I forgot.... he lowered my bike 1.5" too so that was a little more work included in the 425 so maybe 300-400 is a good number. Whatever you do make sure you can get it fined tuned at no charge. a really good tuner will even go to the track/trail with you and make sure you're good to go.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• bluethundaaaa

Posted February 02, 2006 - 03:44 PM

I had my suspension done by Enzo Racing, they specialize in Kayaba suspension. Maybe I got screwed paying $675 with shipping but I have to say I am very impressed....it is like riding a brand new bike. As everyone else has said besides being in shape, suspension is the best bang for your buck. I have an 02 wr426.

• SJMC_DON

Posted February 03, 2006 - 02:44 PM

You guys paying $600+ did not get screwed. If the shop does good work and they re-valved, total shock rebuild, new springs, new gas in the rear and set your pre-load on the rear, and did it all with quality parts - $600.00 would be expected.

I just re-sprung my self, the installation was easy, it only cost me $200.00 and the sprig rate decision was made easy with Race Tech's calculator. I did not mess with any valving but I went to a 5W in the forks.

It is by far the best $200 I ever spent on my bike :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.