1987 XL600!! Need Help!!!!!!!

6 replies to this topic
  • soccermania688

Posted January 31, 2006 - 05:45 PM

I just got a 1987 XL600 and i was trying to get it started, but it would'nt so i checked if it was getting spark but its not. When i kick start it the headlight does go on a little and then goes off if that means anything. what do you reccomend trying to do or change! Thanks i really need your help!

• JohnBG

Posted February 01, 2006 - 11:38 AM

Check the wiring connections to the CDI and coil under the gas tank.

• HawkGT

Posted February 01, 2006 - 12:39 PM

Also, check your plug boot and wire. I was working on a friends 88' CR250 and the plug boot was barely connected to the plug wire. The boot would pull straight off the wire with almost no force. Also, plug wires can get burned-up at the junction of the boot and wire. Sometimes trimming the plug wire back a bit can restore the connection on a burned-up wire.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CrackiN

Posted February 02, 2006 - 04:35 AM

I had a problem with the plug on the CDI on my 86 XL..I am not sure if it was the male ends on the harness or the female end on the box or a combination of the 2 but it would loose connection and the bike would shut off or refuse to crank until I wiggled the plug and got connection back...I ran a zip tie around the box and plug to keep it from moving and that pretty much solved the problem....Also try to get someone to check the pickup coil..The wire comming out of the case on the right side to ensure that it isn't going bad...

• soccermania688

Posted February 02, 2006 - 03:31 PM

How could i check the pick up coil?

• CrackiN

Posted February 02, 2006 - 04:19 PM

You will need an ohm meter...Pull the plug. It only has 2 wires, then kick the motor over and see if you get any sort of a pulse....

• Todd Wright

Posted July 30, 2008 - 01:31 PM

the reasone the light is coming on is the light is hooked up to the altinator so when you kick it generates enough current to light it for a second....also check your ignition switch(when you turn the key it comleplets the circuit).

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.