EMP #2 Question

7 replies to this topic
  • TeamScream

Posted September 15, 2001 - 03:01 PM

Ok fellas, I have taken my scoot for its first MAJOR canyon rip this weekend (I ride SuperMotard style) and I was very impressed with my blue thumper to say the least.

I was still plagued by the hesitation and missing at 1/8-1/4 (constant) throttle.

After I got home I pulled the needle (EMP) and raised the clip to the #2 spot and went out for a spin around the hood and the problem seems to have gotten alot better, but its still not cured, I have deternmined that the bike was running RICH at the previous setting (clip pos #5)at some point due to the black soot around the muffler and the tip of the spark plug.

SO here are my SPECIFIC questions:
What order do the needles go from LEAN to RICH? is there a spread sheet or a way to know specificly?

Also here are the needles I have:
EMM , EMP , EFN
Out of these three needles which would be the leanest and which the richest? would it be advisable to get an EKN like everyone raves about here to cure this problem once and for all? And finally am I sacrificing mid range power by using this needle (EMP) at clip #2? I mean if I use the EKN will I be able to dial it in to have the same or better pull from mid range through WOT ?
Thanks for all the help.

------------------
01' WR426,YZ timing,EMP #2,#48Pilot,#100PAJ,#172 Main,BK mod,stock pipe-no baffle, open airbox,Gray-Wire Pulled,K&N Filter, throttle stop mod,CA Street Legal,Pure SuperMotard 17 in. wheels, 15/46 gears,ProTaper bars,

• Taffy

Posted September 15, 2001 - 03:15 PM

i think that you're rich in the overlap between your needle and the pilot system. i would try a 45 pilot jet next and turn the pilot screw progressively in.

Taffy

• TeamScream

Posted September 15, 2001 - 05:51 PM

Thanks Taffy, I will try that tonight before I go for a ride tomorrow morning again!
Thanks!

------------------
01' WR426,YZ timing,EMP #2,#48Pilot,#100PAJ,#172 Main,BK mod,stock pipe-no baffle, open airbox,Gray-Wire Pulled,K&N Filter, throttle stop mod,CA Street Legal,Pure SuperMotard 17 in. wheels, 15/46 gears,ProTaper bars,

• James_Dean

Posted September 15, 2001 - 07:32 PM

Rich to lean-
EMM#4...EFN#1...EMP#4

This is only at 0-1/4 throttle, they are identical above 1/4 throttle in these clip positions. EKN is the same as EMN and EFN, shifting the clip positions. (EFN#1=EHN#2=EKN#3=EMN#4) So, the EMP is leanest and EKN would only be richer. How many turns out is the pilot screw using the #48?

With a #45, expect it to be out about 1 turn more.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TeamScream

Posted September 16, 2001 - 02:58 PM

Cool you guys.
JAmes the screw is 1 turn out with the 48 as you suggested earlier in another thread. I did run it today back up in the canyons and it seemed to run really really good with a LOT LESS sputtering and hesitation at 1/8 - 1/4 throttle with the EMP at clip #2.
I am waitning for a Kouba T-Handle to show up sometime soon, so I can adjust this thing alot easier. (THANKS WR4FUN).

------------------

• James_Dean

Posted September 16, 2001 - 07:53 PM

Your setting of EMP#2 & #48/#100 matches a KTM520 I tuned earlier this year. He runs a smaller main though. I'm still a little surprised the needle clip position is so far from that of the YZ426. EMP#2 = EJP~#1 versus stock EJP#4.

• WRFUN

Posted September 17, 2001 - 11:04 AM

TeamScream,

I was wondering if you got my E-mail. I'm waiting for the T-Handles to arrive. I'll call you when they come in.

Pete

• slashman

Posted September 18, 2001 - 07:17 PM

if you guys want a copy of the magic decoder for all of the FCR needles go to carbparts.com and you can print out a decoder that tells all of the letters and what they mean in each position.

------------------
wr42601
not yz timmed yet
some mods

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.