06 YZ450 for woods?

11 replies to this topic
  • KillerHiller

Posted January 31, 2006 - 12:08 PM

Just curious if there is any first hand experience yet with the 06 in the woods. It seems like the bike has potential even in stock form with minor changes. Smooth power, plush suspension and light feel all add up to a fun woods bike on paper.

Looking for feedback. Thanks!

KH

• liv2ride

Posted January 31, 2006 - 02:06 PM

bought mine to ride in the woods and she does great!!!
it is geared a bit tall for the tight stuff i ride in but put a 52 tooth sproket on last night and am hoping that helps.
love the bike though!! :thumbsup:

• KTMKarl

Posted January 31, 2006 - 03:14 PM

Got to rag mine a little sunday here at a Hillbilly GP in Missouri, I got smoked in the PRO class (Oh I got tons of excuses!) but the bike is wonderful. The hardest part for me is figuring out HOW to ride it! By that I mean that the motor is SO versatile you can rev it, lug it or hit it anywhere in between. In the last few years I have raced a KTM 520 (lug only) and a YZF 250 (rev-only) Now I got it all and my mind is reeling from the possibilities! LOL
I dropped to a 50 in back but I'm heading the other way after this weekends run, I'll trade a little dead stop power (too me first feels too low?) for a longer spread so a 48 is going on to play with this weekend. Gotta bolt up my stabilizer as well, haven't yet and head shake is a non-issue but when you have rode with one for 8 years you kinda get used to them and a few things caught me by suprise sunday.
I don't know where the suspension is headed yet I'm big (6'3"#240) and believe it or not I THINK the boingers are gonna end up stiffer! Kinda wierd for a my tastes and a MX bike ecspecially a big one but the rear was riding a little too low in the stroke, I aggravated the problem by backing off the high speed and I felt it in the second moto, with the track rough she was bottoming regularly in the faster stuff. I'll be re-checking the sag too see if it has started too settle it has been staying spot on though. Forks are dreamy though, I haven't had any issues at all with the front end sticking, and the action fits me too a tee. May end up with some stiffer springs once the rear is dialed we'll see.
I'm anxious too see what comes of the lighting capabilties, she is set-up with an inverted ignition ala: KTM rfs but the flywheel diameter looks smaller and there aint a whole lot of room for poles and windings. Hope somebody gets a solution so I can get her night ready. It is a shame to have all this cool lighting stuff and no power to drive it.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted January 31, 2006 - 07:42 PM

I have ridden the woods on mine. That is mostly what I do, just not in the winter because the woods are under snow. Anyway, I went 12-50 gearing, that helped a ton. I also shaved my seat just a hair, wow, that was a great move, helps the bike feel even smaller. I will toss on a Utah Sport skid plate and some unabikers and be set. I am also putting the proper springs in it to account for the wieght of my fat azz. A Clarke tank will also be mounted on it when they come out( I was told March). She will be a woods weapon. I cant believe how much less work it is to ride than my WR. Feels like I can ride all day. :thumbsup:

• KillerHiller

Posted January 31, 2006 - 08:55 PM

Thanks for the feedback!

Couple things I was wondering.

Does it feel as light and nimble in the tight stuff as the current 250f's, as described in MXA? The big bore inertia must come in to play somewhat.

Is there an off idle hicup like past YZ thumpers? I realize that it was managed with proper jetting in the past, but I've heard from a friend that the Kawi is ultra clean running way, way down low. It would be nice if they have cleaned up the YZ down low.

I've been back on smokers for the last year or two, but getting the itch to get on a light, plush YZ 450. I still love the track, but live much closer to tight woods and high desert single track.

Thanks and keep the feedback coming!

KH

• KTMKarl

Posted February 01, 2006 - 10:17 AM

Lighter on the pegs and wiggleing than my 04 YZF250! She'll dart through the 30" trees way quicker than I thought possible from a big bore. Good thing too cuz we have a BUNCH of 30" tree sections in these parts.
Motor is WAY smooth at LOW throttle openings regardless of RPM. Crack her past 1/4 and she lights up just as hard as an 03, you just have that small throttle cushion to ride around in. Makes it way easier for me cuz I don't like to chop the throttle closed while wiggeling I try to keep it opened slightly to make the bike lighter feeling, previous YZF's have been very hard for me to ride this way. (more on/off only) I THINK the compression braking is lessened as well but that may just be a side-effect of being able to leave the throttle slightly open.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gholt651

Posted February 01, 2006 - 12:56 PM

Got to race mine at a local benefit race that was a mixture of MX and tree sections.I had a wonderful time on the bike! It took me a couple of laps to get used to it on the trails ( only had about an hour practice on it), but once I got used to using the power, it was smokin'. I raced a two hour race and was not near as tired as I used to be on my 02 250 2 stroke ( AMAZING! ). The most exiting thing is I have not even messed with the suspension yet! All I did was soften up the front forks a couple of clicks. GREAT BIKE, woods or MX. :thumbsup: No head shake,i did'nt notice a push,( could be my point and shoot riding style ),the bike feels lite,it has good manners,and starts very easy!!!! :thumbsup:

• zcookie49

Posted February 01, 2006 - 05:24 PM

I too agree with the laziness feel on operating the bike. It just feels soo easy. I was on the track and staying in 2nd, to 3rd gear, thats it.I probably could've stayed in 2nd the whole time, revving it up, but was breaking it in the old way.
I think it feels lighter than the 250F and I have ridden mine since 2001.
I am also waiting for a works connection skid plate and rad braces, should be out soon.

• mtrdrms

Posted February 01, 2006 - 05:47 PM

I have ridden the woods on mine. That is mostly what I do, just not in the winter because the woods are under snow. Anyway, I went 12-50 gearing, that helped a ton. I also shaved my seat just a hair, wow, that was a great move, helps the bike feel even smaller. I will toss on a Utah Sport skid plate and some unabikers and be set. I am also putting the proper springs in it to account for the wieght of my fat azz. A Clarke tank will also be mounted on it when they come out( I was told March). She will be a woods weapon. I cant believe how much less work it is to ride than my WR. Feels like I can ride all day. :thumbsup:

12-50?!? wow that thing must be a tank. I agree tho, stellar woods bike even right out of the crate! I AM SO HAPPY WITH THIS BIKE!! :thumbsup:

• gdbarr1976

Posted February 01, 2006 - 08:37 PM

At 180lb after backing off the high speed comp I can say the suspension for me, in the woods is perfect. After putting a rekluse clutch on, going to a 48 pilot and 170main, and 50 teeth in the rear the engine is perfect. I did'nt think it could be better then my 250f in the woods but it is.

• retro450

Posted February 01, 2006 - 08:48 PM

Wow seeing what everyone says about this bike just rocks. I've ran setra hare scrambles for a few years now and know what true single nasty track is all about and this thing is heaven to me. I ran mine in the super tight this weekend and I was all over it couldnt get enough of it didnt get my bark busters on but could not resist is was worth the pain on the fingers. This bike will do it all and I believe better than all, but definetly a superb woods bike and how couldnt it be as light as feels and with the best suspension ever put on a production bike. Plus I believe yamaha has always had the best cross-over bikes and now they've taken it to another level.

• KillerHiller

Posted February 02, 2006 - 05:34 AM

Man, great writeups! Nothing like getting real feedback from TT members.

Now I really have "New Bike Fever". That was exactly what I wanted to hear. Sounds like Yamaha really did thier homework.

Time to start shopping! 300 Pumkin for sale!

Thanks,
KH

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.