XT350 Engine Problems.

1 reply to this topic
  • mtrehy

Posted January 31, 2006 - 11:11 AM

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but there doesn't seem to be one set aside for the Yamaha XT350 or TT350.

I just bought a 1993 TT350 from a guy who said "clutch basket cracked, cam chain has jumped and timing needs sorting".

I got a replacement clutch basket, timed the engine up and no compression. Head off and I have 2 bent inlet valves. Not too much of a problem as I have a spare head etc.
However, my main concern is what would have caused the chain to jump in the first place, there is nothing obviously wrong with the chain,or sprockets. The tensioner seems to be functioning correctly (it screws in and then flicks back out) and the guides aren't too obviously worn. I am worried that if I rebuild it, the chain might jump again and I'm back to square 1.

I would be much happier if I could see why the chain had jumped in the 1st place.
Would people recommend renewing the chain guides, tensioner etc? These are quite expensive and I was hoping not to spend too much!

Should I put it back together and hope for the best? Any ideas why the chain jumped in the 1st place?

Sorry for all the questions...

Thanks.

Matthew

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YamahaWR450FMike

Posted January 31, 2006 - 11:39 AM

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but there doesn't seem to be one set aside for the Yamaha XT350 or TT350.

I just bought a 1993 TT350 from a guy who said "clutch basket cracked, cam chain has jumped and timing needs sorting".

I got a replacement clutch basket, timed the engine up and no compression. Head off and I have 2 bent inlet valves. Not too much of a problem as I have a spare head etc.
However, my main concern is what would have caused the chain to jump in the first place, there is nothing obviously wrong with the chain,or sprockets. The tensioner seems to be functioning correctly (it screws in and then flicks back out) and the guides aren't too obviously worn. I am worried that if I rebuild it, the chain might jump again and I'm back to square 1.

I would be much happier if I could see why the chain had jumped in the 1st place.
Would people recommend renewing the chain guides, tensioner etc? These are quite expensive and I was hoping not to spend too much!

Should I put it back together and hope for the best? Any ideas why the chain jumped in the 1st place?

Sorry for all the questions...

Thanks.

Matthew

That's strange, I used to have a 1984 TT600 with 1000's of miles on it. Probably close to 30,000 and never had a proplem. I the chain jumped it's caused by either the chain be to stretched out or not properly tentioned. That's my guess.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.