Removing corrosion on bare aluminum

7 replies to this topic
  • EricZ

Posted January 30, 2006 - 09:41 PM

I was too lazy to clean all of the mud off of my bike over the winter. :thumbsup: Now I noticed some corrosion and spotting on some of the bare aluminum. What is the best way to remove it? I want to detail the bike to possibly sell it.

• clark4131

Posted January 30, 2006 - 10:37 PM

Try some 0000 steel wool and a mild aluminum polish...SC

• Matty05

Posted January 31, 2006 - 12:15 AM

Where are the stains / corrosion?

An aluminium polish (not acid cleaner!) as Clark mentioned, should do the trick, you can get some really good ones with a sealer, my mates 1999 CR250 frame still looks the same as the day he polished it, which was years ago. If on the wheels, try not to rub through the anodizing.

If you don't have steel wool, a scotch brite pad might be the ticket.

I get some very mild corrosion on the cylinder, from the caustic based detergent I use (chemtech CT18 truck wash), I just give it a little bit of a scrub with a little wire brush I have, that is just a bit bigger than a tooth brush. I must change detergents, but NOTHING gets mud and dirt off easier and quicker.

• Indy_WR450

Posted January 31, 2006 - 04:40 AM

Here is what is best for aluminum car wheels and should work for our parts as well:
Posted Image
This is the legendary metal polish. Mothers®' secret formula balances a brilliant shine with easy use for aluminum wheels and parts, brass, alloys and accessories. Application is just a matter of a clean cloth and a little elbow grease. Mothers® Mag & Aluminum polish is strong enough to put a shine to the most neglected metals and gentle enough to use on a regular basis.

http://www.mothers.com/products/

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • unabiker

Posted January 31, 2006 - 05:02 AM

Here is what is best for aluminum car wheels and should work for our parts as well:
Posted Image
This is the legendary metal polish. Mothers®' secret formula balances a brilliant shine with easy use for aluminum wheels and parts, brass, alloys and accessories. Application is just a matter of a clean cloth and a little elbow grease. Mothers® Mag & Aluminum polish is strong enough to put a shine to the most neglected metals and gentle enough to use on a regular basis.

http://www.mothers.com/products/

Best stuff for aluminum ever.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted January 31, 2006 - 06:07 AM

I love Mothers... I like to polish my levers with the stuff...

• gmoss357

Posted January 31, 2006 - 06:47 AM

Mother's works great for soap scum on shower glass also! :thumbsup:

don't ask how I know. :bonk:

• TWILES

Posted January 31, 2006 - 09:52 AM

These will work best but you'll have to stay on the polish once you've done this.

There are velcro pads for 4" and 90 griders that are for shining things like alluminum. You can get them at Fastenall stores. They called them " scotchbrite " pads where I used to work. We used them to clean up he alluminum blocks they would weld up from an alluminum plant. You can get a few different grades. I would buy one of each. You could take the stock swingarm and make it look like chrome. If you have ever seen stainless or alluminum peices that look like they have a bunch of circles on them, thats the rough pad. I think the grey one is the one you would want. It will be SLICK when you are done. Some of the oxidation won't come out with polish. If you use the pads you have to polish it GOOD when you are done.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.