Grease Fittings in Rear Linkage and Swingarm

5 replies to this topic
  • AlabamaWR

Posted January 30, 2006 - 09:12 PM

Has anyone tried installing grease fittings in the rear shock linkage and swingarm on a WR?

:thumbsup:

• Matty05

Posted January 31, 2006 - 12:20 AM

It would be piss easy to drill then tap in some nipples.
I would be worried about cracking happening if you did do it, as well as the dirt and dust that makes it's way past the seals.

• Joe_dirtbiker

Posted January 31, 2006 - 10:23 AM

The rear linkage has some sort of oil-impregnated plastic bushings in it I believe. The manual said something or other about them. On my xr600 there were grease fiitings, I was somewhat aghast my WR had no fittings. But then when I went to grease them I found out I didn't really need to do such very often.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • deadeye1340

Posted January 31, 2006 - 10:33 AM

I thought about doing something similiar to the steering head bearings at one time, I opted against it due to the amount of grease that it would take to fill that void. Not to mention that all of that grease would act as a steering stabilizer. Anyhow, the roller bearings inside of your swingarm ARE in fact incased in a plastic type material. So adding a grease zerk to that probably isn't a good idea. BUT you could get rid of all that plastic stuff, then your needle bearings become "free floating" so to speak. I had a four wheeler once where I installed a grease zerk into the swing arm, where the axle went through it. In this case, although it may seem like a great idea (even I like it) I think that the engineers would have put one of them in there when building the machine. I have a WR 250F, I'll just stick to pulling it all apart periodically. Cheers!

• BEAN329

Posted January 31, 2006 - 07:43 PM

yes i have. The problem with putting grease fittings on the shock linkage is that the bolts and the collars are made of very hard steel. I had my local machine shop cut very small holes on both, about 1/16 of an inch holes. I have grease fittings on my rear brake pedal, both swingarm bearings and all 3 pivot points of the linkage. I used a small grease gun loaded with moly grease. Make sure you take your time aligning the point where you place your holes in the linkage bolts and collars so they are placed in the center area of the bearings. Oh yes one more thing, the linkage bolts are already drilled out and I tapped the open end of the linkage bolts and used a large grease fitting. Good Luck. :thumbsup:

• tshe1

Posted February 01, 2006 - 10:58 AM

yes i have. The problem with putting grease fittings on the shock linkage is that the bolts and the collars are made of very hard steel. I had my local machine shop cut very small holes on both, about 1/16 of an inch holes. I have grease fittings on my rear brake pedal, both swingarm bearings and all 3 pivot points of the linkage. I used a small grease gun loaded with moly grease. Make sure you take your time aligning the point where you place your holes in the linkage bolts and collars so they are placed in the center area of the bearings. Oh yes one more thing, the linkage bolts are already drilled out and I tapped the open end of the linkage bolts and used a large grease fitting. Good Luck. :thumbsup:

can you show some pics?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.