LED tail/stop light bulb conversion query

10 replies to this topic
  • Bogieknight

Posted January 30, 2006 - 07:16 PM

Hi there!

I'd like to change my normal tail/stop bulb to an LED type either by buying an LED cluster bulb for it or by buying an LED light unit.

I was wondering whether anyone had any problems or experiences with these types given that the lighting circuit is AC? I'm sure the led lighting will work okay with the AC forward voltage except that it may pulse to the frequency of the engine speed. Has this been a visible problem for any of you?

I know that if if I place a diode in parallel to the LED bulb it should stop the pulsing but we're now talking about over-engineering a small light that really doesn't warrant that level of modification.

If you've got any experiences, tips or recommendations I'd be pleased to read them.

Thanks in advance.

Bogieknight

• ncampion

Posted January 30, 2006 - 07:39 PM

I don't think you can power an LED with A/C flicker or not, but I might be wrong. I diode is a simple fix. Check this site for a source of bulbs. They make an exact replacement. My WR is converted to DC so I don't have a problem.

http://superbrightleds.com/

• trailordune

Posted January 30, 2006 - 07:53 PM

I Replaced My Tail Light Bulb With A Red Led Bulb, Works Great! I Have A Brake Switch For Dual Sport And Stock Tail Light Was Hardly Visible (brake Light Not Much Better). Very Happy With Bulb, Bought It At Autozone (2 Pack For Like $12). Searching Led Sights I Found Out You Should Use A Red Led Behind A Red Lens For Best Results.

• ddialogue

Posted January 30, 2006 - 07:55 PM

I've been running a 1157 LED lamp (picked it up at the local auto parts store) in my WR for three years now without a problem. :thumbsup:

• Gadsen

Posted January 30, 2006 - 08:41 PM

Ah, well, your right, the tail lamp is AC, but a "diode" is a "rectifier", be a "half wave rectifier" to be exact, so technically, works fine and converts it to DC all in one swoop. I run the cluster LED 1157 in my bike. Some will vary in brightness, get a good one.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • steve lemley

Posted January 30, 2006 - 10:00 PM

Im the same, running led 1157 without insident on stock tailight assb. with Baja Designs street legal kit. I was told to watch out for cheap bulbs seeing the lil chip inside vibrates and stops working if its not quality construction?? Dont know how true it is mine is working fine with no flicker!!! :thumbsup:

• Bogieknight

Posted January 31, 2006 - 07:12 AM

Thank you all for the advice.

I've ordered myself a 24 LED 1157 bulb. Hopefully should be able to squeeze it under the lens cover.

Excellent! Cheers now!

:thumbsup: :bonk: :thumbsup:

Bogieknight
:eek:

• steve lemley

Posted January 31, 2006 - 07:28 AM

I had to shave the metal reflector a little to make mine fit. I am switching over to a complete LED tail light system from Baja Designs. Ill let you guys know if there is any problems!!!

• wickedsprint

Posted January 31, 2006 - 08:16 PM

I don't think you can power an LED with A/C flicker or not, but I might be wrong. I diode is a simple fix. Check this site for a source of bulbs. They make an exact replacement. My WR is converted to DC so I don't have a problem.

http://superbrightleds.com/

I am running dual 194 LEDs on my 650R with AC power no problem, I wasn't sure either so i just plugged em in and it worked. Hopefully they last.

• Bamster

Posted January 31, 2006 - 08:43 PM

I've ordered myself a 24 LED 1157 bulb. Hopefully should be able to squeeze it under the lens cover.

I had to open up the receptacle on mine but it was much brighter than the element joby.

• steve lemley

Posted January 31, 2006 - 09:28 PM

Same thing as the Bamster for me!!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.