Changes to YZ 450 for smaller rider?

4 replies to this topic
  • DEX

Posted January 30, 2006 - 06:57 AM

I currently race a 2005 YZ 125, with extremely modified suspension including 1.5 inch lowering front and rear and valving and spring rate for a 115 pound riider, a cut seat and a bunch of other mods that arent pertinant to this post.

I weight 115 pounds and am around 5'4. My step father has recently picked up a 2006 YZ 450 for himself so he can practice with me and maybe after a while MAY try a race or to. However he has offered to have the bike setup for me and allow me to race it, this is good as I amke the payments myself on my 125 and couldnt afford to get the YZ 250 I wanted.

The thing is the 450 is huge and has tons of power. What are some basics mods that are done to this bike. I have heard about the tires, was thinking Michelin Starcross which I run or maybe Dunlop 756 RRs. And moving the forks around is another mod I have heard was neccesary. Is the turning issue enough to justify a aftermarket triple clamp? I run the Applied top and bottom on my 125 (wish I had of spent the extra 100 to get the RG3).

Anything else?

He thinks a Rekluse clutch would be good so that in the event of a crash the bike will stay running with no need to restart. I have heard bad things about them and have never seen one actually being used in my area. What is the pros and cons of this setup?

• kawirider

Posted January 30, 2006 - 03:07 PM

Wow, 5'4 115lbs, and you are trying to ride a 450? I am 5'7 and I tippy toe it most of the time. I also weigh about 55 lbs more than you and most of the time the bike rides me, not the other way around. You may want to gear it longer so that the power is not as strong. Shaving the seat will definately be a must as will lowering the forks, but when you lower the forks you could run into headshake problems. 115lbs and on a 450? If you have any skill, you could seriously own.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • djo269

Posted January 31, 2006 - 02:20 AM

Sounds like you should invest in a "gripper" seat. Your boney little ass won't stay on that thing!
Your best modification would be to lift weights and pack on a few pounds of muscle.

Please take my suggestions lightly, I mean no offense. :thumbsup:

• jjjyz450f

Posted January 31, 2006 - 08:46 PM

You can also lower the sub frame or have someone lower it for you. I wouldn't go too far up with the forks you would probably have a bike that goes from super stable ( from what I have read ) to super sketchy in the whoops and braking bumps. They say its good to raise the forks up to the 1st line on them. Don't too much about the 2006's have not ridden one "yet" . I would definitely lower the seat foam. Good luck with this one

• yamajoe

Posted January 31, 2006 - 09:08 PM

Man I really don't mean to burst your bubble or anything but the yz450 is a very powerful race-bike, it can hurt you much faster than a 125. These bikes are loved by heavier people because the power gain makes up for the extra weight to carry. Well all I'm trying to say is that I would almost pay to see a 115lb. rider ride a yz450 especially the new ones, not saying that it can't be done but you might want to pray to the bike gods before and after each ride!

P.S. the 125 is like a scooter compared to the 450.

Related Content

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.