Did I see Andy Grider on a KTM?

13 replies to this topic
  • Jayzonk

Posted January 29, 2006 - 09:31 PM

I'm catching some footage on this year's Paris-Dakar race, and Andy Grider is in it, running a KTM Adventure bike (must be an LC640?). Is this right? Is he out of Honda? Or is he just riding KTM for Dakar? Couldn't you mod an XR650R to do Dakar? Has anyone tried?

• mikekay

Posted January 29, 2006 - 10:59 PM

I'm catching some footage on this year's Paris-Dakar race, and Andy Grider is in it, running a KTM Adventure bike (must be an LC640?). Is this right? Is he out of Honda? Or is he just riding KTM for Dakar? Couldn't you mod an XR650R to do Dakar? Has anyone tried?

Yes
Yes
Yes
No
Yes
Yes, but the airbox and or stator usually fail.
www.photobucket.com/albums/y129/brrrpr/dakarbike002.jpg

• BajaBoundMoto

Posted January 30, 2006 - 08:16 AM

At the end of '04 Grider went to KTMs. Rode 'em almost thru '05. Did a 1 race deal on a Suzuki in Nov. '05. Got called back to KTM after Walch got injured to take the Dakar Team spot. Currently is recouping from injuries sustained in Dakar. And for 2006 he will be riding.....

• XR4DEZ

Posted January 30, 2006 - 08:02 PM

Didn't Johnny Campbell do the Dakar on a 650 a few years back and finish around 5th?

• uszler

Posted January 30, 2006 - 09:52 PM

Didn't Johnny Campbell do the Dakar on a 650 a few years back and finish around 5th?

yes. i think he finished 7th or 9th, but highest finishing rookie.

• wr450fyamaha

Posted January 31, 2006 - 07:48 PM

Yes
Yes
Yes
No
Yes
Yes, but the airbox and or stator usually fail.

honestly, what is with that bike?

• mikekay

Posted January 31, 2006 - 08:31 PM

almost every XR650r that has entered the Dakar has DNF'd.

Its almost always:
-The airbox sucks sand/silt at the bottom and this leads to a dead motor.
-The stator is not vented/sealed, condensation and or water at the deep water crossings leads to a dead electrical system.
-The Acerbis fuel tank cracks at the seems and the bike either catches fire (several times now!) or just looses fuel...

Also--if you have ever tried kickstarting a XR650r 2/3rds the way up a 80 ft sand dune--when you are on an angle going up such that the kickstarter side is facing the dune...you know why estart is the norm on the dakar bikes. The 650 has been very good in baja. But not at dakar.

IMHO a 650L engine in a XR650 frame would be much better way to go...

OR--just do Dakar on a team with a bunch of Husqvarnas.. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jayzonk

Posted February 23, 2006 - 08:02 PM

Okay, so it's the airbox or the stator - I can understand the stator problem in Dakar b/c Baja doesn't have the water issue. But the airbox with sand in it - you'd think that that would also be a problem at Baja.
...and that doesn't explain why KTM can't win at Baja....

• wr450fyamaha

Posted February 23, 2006 - 08:18 PM

I have seen that bike over and over, what the hell is it? I dont understand.

• bork

Posted February 23, 2006 - 08:27 PM

honestly, what is with that bike?

The makings of a batmobile. :thumbsup:

• hill5150

Posted February 23, 2006 - 11:36 PM

I have seen that bike over and over, what the hell is it? I dont understand.

It is something you will never understand............ :thumbsup:

• wr450fyamaha

Posted February 24, 2006 - 12:03 PM

It is something you will never understand............ :thumbsup:

but what is it?

• Modsport02

Posted February 24, 2006 - 05:33 PM

Its almost always:
-The stator is not vented/sealed, condensation and or water at the deep water crossings leads to a dead electrical system.
-The Acerbis fuel tank cracks at the seems and the bike either catches fire (several times now!) or just looses fuel...

Also--if you have ever tried kickstarting a XR650r 2/3rds the way up a 80 ft sand dune--when you are on an angle going up such that the kickstarter side is facing the dune...you know why estart is the norm on the dakar bikes. The 650 has been very good in baja. But not at dakar.

There are e-start kits for the xr650r? and for the rest of the problems im sure they can be fixed with some extra money, not like todays dakar teams are broke.

• Jayzonk

Posted February 24, 2006 - 07:10 PM

Its almost always:

So the L would be better JUST because of the e-start? You'd get enough power after Dave's Mods?

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.