Just bout a Hour Meter.. now what?

15 replies to this topic
  • duke2au

Posted January 29, 2006 - 09:00 PM

Hi all... I, like everyone is interested in keeping the bike (WR450) with the best oil. :bonk: :thumbsup:
This meter I bought will let me choose the service interval. I just do trail riding and no racing at all, so with that in mind, my question is what would be the best interval??
I have read alot about how many miles or Klms but nothing specific in hours. If there is it seems to be "racing hours"...

Can anyone help me out here? :thumbsup:

• Matty05

Posted January 29, 2006 - 09:14 PM

I change mine about every 4 to 5 hours, that usually = about 500kms for me.
4 is exellent, but I can get itchy and go for that one last ride!

Use the racing hours only as a guide also, my neighbours YFZ quad manual recommends every 10 hours. Way too long also.

Manual recommends every 1000kms, but stuff that! Oil is spent long before that if you actually ride.

• duke2au

Posted January 29, 2006 - 09:33 PM

where do you ride Matty?

I ride the wattigans and most of the time only hit about 50 to 90K's before its hometime.. I wonder how much actual engine running time that will be? I have set that meter to ten hours (its not installed yet). You think ten is way too much?
I want to get an average before I change the oil and install the meter.

• Matty05

Posted January 29, 2006 - 09:54 PM

where do you ride Matty?

I ride the wattigans and most of the time only hit about 50 to 90K's before its hometime.. I wonder how much actual engine running time that will be? I have set that meter to ten hours (its not installed yet). You think ten is way too much?
I want to get an average before I change the oil and install the meter.

Kms not important, engine hours is. Kms not a reflection of load put on motor.
Machinery go off engine hours for example, so do boats.

These engines run hot, 10 hrs is way too long. Just because you don't go so fast, you are placing a great load on it, more so than say me doing 170km/h runs. Example, a highway country car with high kms will still be better than a city car, low kms, same age.

Set it at 5 hrs, drop the oil after that. If still good, go to 6. If bad, go to 4.
Oil is cheap, new parts are not!

I am up the top of the NT, far far away from you!

• YamahaWR450FMike

Posted January 29, 2006 - 11:12 PM

I change mile about every 500 miles.

• pclans

Posted January 30, 2006 - 12:10 AM

My bike mechanic friend told me to change oil every 6 hrs. Judging by look of oil this is about right. Bike doesnt hold a lot of oil so change it often,

• nqglen

Posted January 30, 2006 - 01:13 AM

Oil doesn't go bad or go off. Oil becomes contaminated with wear metals and by-products of the combustion process. Your filter will remove most of the contamination but not the smaller particulate contamination which passes through your filter and discolors the oil. To remove this you must replace the oil with new clean oil. The change intervals given by people at this site are rule of thumb. That is, if you change your oil at 500 Kms or 5 Hrs you should never get excessive wear from the abrasive particulate contamination. To find out for sure you need to take an oil sample from your engine and get it analised. Cost about $20 to $35 in Oz. This will tell you exactly what condition the oil is in and when to change it.

• duke2au

Posted January 30, 2006 - 12:14 PM

thanks for the info.. I will reset the meter to about 6 hours...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ToooFaarOutt

Posted January 30, 2006 - 05:20 PM

What every 6 hours? That would mean I would have to take oil and filter with me when ever I ride so I could do a change on the trail. Sometimes I would have to take 2 sets of oil and filters. Can anybody say Paranoid.

• nqglen

Posted January 30, 2006 - 07:03 PM

I do mine every 500 Kms or there about and have a good look at the filter paper. The thing is there would probably be very little difference in engine wear if you went 1000 Kms. It's up to you, it's your bike, you should know what your oil looks like and performs like, and change it accordingly.

• ncampion

Posted January 30, 2006 - 07:48 PM

Keep in mind that Yamaha WR/YZ engines are low pressure oil systems. All bearings are ball bearings that are not as sensitive to pressure oil systems as plain bearings, the only plain bearing is on the back end of each cam. The main cause of piston ring/cylinder wear is contaminants from the intake, not the oil. I think 10 hours is a very reasonable oil change interval on these engines. The biggest oil contaminant is from the clutch fibers, which is not abrasive at all. I have an 89' WR 400 with at least 10,000 miles (98% dirt) with original piston, valves and lower end. Still great compression and runs strong. Pay more attention to your air filter for the best bang for your bucks.

• nqglen

Posted January 30, 2006 - 09:02 PM

Your certainly right with regards to air contamination. But, your bearings and piston rings are just two areas inside your engine that may have metal to metal contact. There are other critical areas like gears and cams. Theoretically there should be a film of oil between all moving parts in your engine and therefore it relies on the shear strength and stability of this oil. This is addressed by the viscosity index(VI) and VI improver's in the oil. As you probably know viscosity of oil normally drops when it gets hot, it also drops when under pressure like when it is between gears or cams and valve lifters. When oil gets older it also looses its viscosity and therefore allows more metal to metal contact creating wear. The $64,000 question is when is the right time to change oil? You find that 10 Hrs is good. I personally want to change it earlier to keep an eye on the way my engine is running by looking at oil and the filter. I also believe this is fairly inexpensive to do so.

• duke2au

Posted January 31, 2006 - 12:16 AM

6 hours engine time dude.. not trail time

• Matty05

Posted January 31, 2006 - 12:46 AM

What every 6 hours? That would mean I would have to take oil and filter with me when ever I ride so I could do a change on the trail. Sometimes I would have to take 2 sets of oil and filters.

You must have a friggin huge 30 gal tank if you can ride for 12 hrs straight.

My stock 8L tank lasts me about 100kms, if I average 100km/h, that means that the tank only provides me with about 1 hour riding time. That also means that I change oil every 5 or so rides, which also means about every 500kms.

So how do you ride 1000kms in a day? :thumbsup:
And how the :thumbsup: do you spend 12hrs riding around on a trail in a day?
Shit, you must stop a hell of a lot. Most of my riding trips seem to be about 2 - 3 hours long from when I leave to when I get back, and that is stretching it out. I ride from my doorstep too.

Can anybody say Paranoid.

You don't know what you are talking about!
:eek: Engine time, not time looking at your bike. :bonk:

• ToooFaarOutt

Posted January 31, 2006 - 08:09 AM

You must have a friggin huge 30 gal tank if you can ride for 12 hrs straight.

My stock 8L tank lasts me about 100kms, if I average 100km/h, that means that the tank only provides me with about 1 hour riding time. That also means that I change oil every 5 or so rides, which also means about every 500kms.

So how do you ride 1000kms in a day? :thumbsup:
And how the :thumbsup: do you spend 12hrs riding around on a trail in a day?
Shit, you must stop a hell of a lot. Most of my riding trips seem to be about 2 - 3 hours long from when I leave to when I get back, and that is stretching it out. I ride from my doorstep too.

You don't know what you are talking about!
:eek: Engine time, not time looking at your bike. :bonk:

Well lets see maybe you should really ride instead of talking about it. I would not get out of bed for a 3 hour ride. My bike has a 3.4 gal tank with 130 mile range. I pack an extra 1/2 gal and make a stop at a gas station going out and on the way back. Maybe you should think about things before you spout your mouth off. We start riding when it's dark and finish when it's dark. No it is not 12 hours of straight ride time we stop for an hour for lunch and to figure which direction we need to be going. But remember your oil does not get changed when you stop the motor :p it is still the burned out stuff that you had when you stopped.

As for your 8 litre tank they designed that tank for women with no stamina.
When I leave camp I have almost 15 litre of fuel with me and use a gas station twice putting in about 2 1/2 gallons each time. So by the time we finish I have burned about 33 litres of fuel.

I change my oil after every 3rd ride which comes out to about 800 miles.

Oh and 30gal to go a 1000 kilometers must be that Australian math. I came up with 80 litre to go 1000 kilometers which is only 21 gallon DOH!!

• duke2au

Posted February 01, 2006 - 12:22 AM

Well lets see maybe you should really ride instead of talking about it. I would not get out of bed for a 3 hour ride. My bike has a 3.4 gal tank with 130 mile range. I pack an extra 1/2 gal and make a stop at a gas station going out and on the way back. Maybe you should think about things before you spout your mouth off. We start riding when it's dark and finish when it's dark. No it is not 12 hours of straight ride time we stop for an hour for lunch and to figure which direction we need to be going. But remember your oil does not get changed when you stop the motor :bonk: it is still the burned out stuff that you had when you stopped.

As for your 8 litre tank they designed that tank for women with no stamina.
When I leave camp I have almost 15 litre of fuel with me and use a gas station twice putting in about 2 1/2 gallons each time. So by the time we finish I have burned about 33 litres of fuel.

I change my oil after every 3rd ride which comes out to about 800 miles.

Oh and 30gal to go a 1000 kilometers must be that Australian math. I came up with 80 litre to go 1000 kilometers which is only 21 gallon DOH!!

I thought this thread was about hour meters.. not how far you can ride on your bike.. Anyone can ride in the desert in a straight line.. you sound like the Street racers on their GSXR's that "hit over 200klms an hour".... ooohhhhh. Over here, (where we do "australian math") real riders are getting muddy and pushing over trees to climb hills and ride down the other side.

this thread was supposed to be informational.. not about YOU!
:thumbsup: :bonk: :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.