My sag is right so now what, duct tape bricks to my boot??? HELP!!!

10 replies to this topic
  • steve lemley

Posted January 29, 2006 - 08:02 AM

The suspension gods told me to post this question in the WR area just incase someone can help so here it is. 99 WR400. I set my bike, race, and rider sag today thanks to all the helpful threads and all is good except for one big problem. I now cant touch the ground, not even close . I had to increase the rear shocks tension and inturn it raised the rider sag almost two inches to be correct (thats how loose the spring was) The suspension feels geat now that its all correct but I just cant even come close to touching the ground now. The forks are almost bottomed out on the bars so no easy fix there??? Help guys do I have to buy a new spring? :thumbsup: :bonk: :thumbsup: :eek: :p :worthy: :cool: :prof: :lol: :lol:

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted January 29, 2006 - 05:53 PM

If all the sag settings are indeed correct, then a new spring won't do anything for you. You probably need a lowering link to lower the overall height of the rear end while still maintaining the proper sag settings.

• Matty05

Posted January 29, 2006 - 06:12 PM

Get the suspension lowered correctly, it is better and cheaper than new link which changes geometry. I have got the WR250F lowered 2" professionally for the missus.

All they do is add spacers which can be taken out again, completely reversable.
The shock has a spacer that limits the travel about 5mm, which equals about 2" height! The forks have spacers on the top out springs that pull the forks down by the length of the spacer. It only cost me like $60 Australian which is like $45 US. This is what they do for super moto bikes. Look at racetech for "reactive suspension mod".

The lowering link costs about 6 times more!
http://www.mountainm...oweringlink.php

The lowering link is very expensive and only lower the back of the bike, and you know how it felt before you set the sag right. The forks work much better now huh.

You could get your forks revalved while you are at it.

• dbailey223

Posted January 30, 2006 - 09:32 AM

I went to a stiffer spring because of my height and weight, and then set the sag, and my WR is tall now too! At 6'4" with a 34 inseam, I can almost have both feet flat on the ground when sitting on the bike. That is a first for me on any bike, well, at least since I was 8 and tried to ride my Dad's Honda XL 100

• steve lemley

Posted January 30, 2006 - 11:45 AM

The set up I baught the bike with I thaught was great until I started ripping my plate off when I jumped. I knew it was to loose but If I want to keep the plate on I knew I had to stiffen it up. Now its way to high. Im 5'10" 200lbs and my feet are two inches from touching the ground now. Im screwed!!!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CISCO

Posted January 30, 2006 - 12:39 PM

Not trying to be a pill, but really...how many times do you have BOTH feet on the ground at the same time? I hardly ever do, and if so tippy toes work fine. I lean the bike to one side and rest on one foot or another.

Im barely squeeking in at 6' and never found a bike too tall. My inseam is 30-31" Granted 5'10 is a tad shorter, but I thought Id toss that out there. Id say if your 5'9 or taller the WR should be ok.

You setting the sag correctly? 98mm is what seems to be the happy place on the 05-06 WR.

:thumbsup: AND how far up do you have the forks? (You said they are against the bars) It may sem trivial, but if the rake of the bike is now shifted forward with the front lowered and the rear stock, then the weight is also shifted forward. Thus your "unloading" the rear and not compressing the spring as far as it should. Your bike is unbalaced. Check it out....

Kouba makes a good lowering link if you must lower the bike.

• steve lemley

Posted January 30, 2006 - 02:33 PM

The bike isnt unloading, I checked. I dont know how else to say it other that at leverl at rider sag my tippy toes are still two inches from touching the ground. Makes it a little hard to kick start!!! any incline is impossible. I guess the example is better said this way. Put your bike up on a stand and see if you would be confortable riding it that heigh? Its pretty bad man honestly.

• dbailey223

Posted January 30, 2006 - 04:02 PM

Not speaking from experience but based upon the postings, but sounds like you need the lowering link or having your suspension lowered.

• steve lemley

Posted January 30, 2006 - 08:15 PM

Thats really my question I guess, do I buy a lowering kit or have it done by a shop and set up for me again, what will they do? What will the shop do differntly than the lowering kit will do and what are the pros and cons of each method. Ive never had to lower a bike in my life. I love my WR to much to get rid of it cause its to high but I dont want to sacrifice any suspention either... Help??

• Matty05

Posted January 30, 2006 - 09:04 PM

Thats really my question I guess, do I buy a lowering kit or have it done by a shop and set up for me again, what will they do? What will the shop do differntly than the lowering kit will do and what are the pros and cons of each method. Ive never had to lower a bike in my life. I love my WR to much to get rid of it cause its to high but I dont want to sacrifice any suspention either... Help??

Read my post! Search for suspension lowering! Search for supermoto suspension mods!
It is not hard mate!

• steve lemley

Posted January 30, 2006 - 09:34 PM

Thanks again Matty, you are a big help no matter the question :thumbsup:))

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.