Fuel Filter for 650L

5 replies to this topic
  • Fio

Posted January 29, 2006 - 06:24 AM

Is there a fuel filter or a type of fuel filter recomended for the 650L?:thumbsup:

• goblin127

Posted January 29, 2006 - 07:25 AM

Just go to your nearest bike shop and get one of those in line filters that are clear and kind of a triangular shape. the parts guy will know what you need. It may be a good time to replace the fuel line with some of that clear or yellow I can't think of the name of it stuff,the parts guy will also know what you want. If you don't have a shop neer buy just go to rocky mountain and search they have everything. Hope that helps.

• oldturtle

Posted January 29, 2006 - 07:51 AM

Your bike has a very adequate gas filter built into the petcock. I generally never get into this for cleaning unless I am switching tanks and need the petcock/filter on big tank. So this is one belt plus suspenders item that I do not prescribe to.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • roadcam

Posted January 29, 2006 - 08:47 AM

I ALWAYS run an inline gas filter ... be sure to look for the little arrow designating the direction of flow .. :thumbsup:

• roadcam

Posted January 29, 2006 - 08:53 AM

sorry to double-post ... the reason I dont rely on only the petcock filterscreen .. it doesnt trap water, and you have to get the wrench out to open it up, and check for contaminents ...the clear plastic filters trap water, are visible for instant verification you are getting fuel, and can see if its dirty ... also can be changed out in seconds :thumbsup:

• Dual_Dog

Posted January 29, 2006 - 12:51 PM

Is there a fuel filter or a type of fuel filter recomended for the 650L?:thumbsup:

Not specifically. And be aware most M/C inline fuel filters are for 1/4" O.D. fuel lines and the XRL's is 5/16" O.D. I went to Napa and picked up a Napa Gold P/N 3006 inline fuel filter with 5/16" nipples for about $4 bucks. I put this on when I installed the Clarke 4.0 on my '98. It even has a 90 degree offset which is fine for making the turn from the petcock to the carb. It's just a little bit of a tight fit and I had to cut down one of the nipples but it's working fine.

My DS $0.02.

Related Content

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

• Hot  37 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.