Hardwiring GPS to XR650R ED/DK Models

6 replies to this topic
  • Dune7

Posted January 29, 2006 - 04:08 AM

I am one of the spoiled ones who can buy an "uncorked" pig straight off the showroom floor! However it has additional wiring and headaches! What I am hoping is that someone on the forum has has some experience with hardwiring a GPS into these electrical harnesses (speaking of ED or DK models).
The essential difference is that the ED&DK models come complete with headlights, indicators and breaklights. I have noticed that there is a capacitor wired into the AC regulator but I do not see a bridge rectifier which should convert AC-DC or do I have my head up my arse?
If there is DC power available from the these models where do I tap into it and is it smooth enough to drive a Garmin 60cs GPS. I have bought a Touratech mount which allows for hardwiring. Batteries are okay for walking but on the bike the first good shock "bottoming" and the GPS dies! I hope someone can help. Thanks! :thumbsup:

• Dune7

Posted January 30, 2006 - 09:58 AM

Well....!!!! Looks like I've got you all stumped on this one...... :thumbsup:

• roadcam

Posted January 30, 2006 - 10:02 AM

no idea what an ED or DK model is, but I can tell you the GARMIN operates on a voltage other than 12V ... so, you need to purchase their 'cigarette-lighter plug' option that has a built-in voltage correction ... you can buy it directly from GARMIN, pricey, about $35, if I remember right .. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fingers

Posted January 30, 2006 - 04:45 PM

I have done this. On the DK/ED the headlights and turnsignals use 12V regulated ac power and will burn out the DC voltage regulator in the GPS after a short period (don't do it). The Brake light and horn use regulated DC power but the capacitor is too small to run the GPS and the horn/brakelight at the same time, so that if you tap into that when the brakelight comes on the GPS will shutoff. What you need to do (if you just want to run a GPS) is buy a 12 NICAD pack from BAJA Designs or similar and wire in place of the capacitor. I would also replace the DC regulator/rectifier with the higher quality and capacity BD unit (around $35). I did all this with a stator rewind fron Ricky Stator so I could power other accesories.

• loufish

Posted January 30, 2006 - 08:24 PM

Here's some info you might want to read:

http://www.cycoactiv....html#dirtbikes

http://www.cycoactiv.../gps/powint.htm

• Fingers

Posted January 30, 2006 - 09:10 PM

Loufish,
Exactly, that is where I got all the info on the "dirty" 12v power that requires the mods. I forgot where that website was.

• Dune7

Posted February 01, 2006 - 02:21 AM

Guys , thanks for all the input, I think I might look at the little "black box" available from Touratech which will clean up the power and make sure its DC. Crazy price though @ $60 odd for a DC-AC converter!!!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.