Red hot header

7 replies to this topic
  • Trench digger

Posted January 28, 2006 - 12:02 PM

Yesterday, I've started my WR400 for the first time in a month, it was about 30 degree Fahrenheit outside (I live in Canada!) after 2-3 minutes at idle the header turned red hot. I switched off the engine immediately.

I taught it could be an air flow restriction problem at the exhaust pipe. Does anyone know how to check an exhaust pipe the air flow? Mine looks OK but how can I know for sure?

Could my problem be related to the fuel mixture? or something else?

Thank you,

• Bamster

Posted January 28, 2006 - 12:11 PM

In the dark an idling WR's header will glow .
The question is is how many times has it been asked?

Where are you in Quebec?
Ever ride in Greenville?

• Trench digger

Posted January 28, 2006 - 12:29 PM

I'm in Granby area (1 hour east of Montreal).
Never rode in your area! How is it?
Here it is not easy all the trails are for quads only, we have to ride further north (or buy a quad!).

Thanks for the answer, this is the first time I notice my header turning red hot like that. My fuel mixture may be a little lean with the cold air.

• Trench digger

Posted January 28, 2006 - 01:08 PM

I am new to thumpertalk and never taught of doing a search for red hot header! I wish I did it before posting this thread! Pretty much every thing has been said!

Next time I will search a little more... :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bamster

Posted January 28, 2006 - 03:49 PM

I have been your way before but only to go to the zoo.
You mean to tell my you can't ride the trails on two wheels, Quads only?
If it's public land and you have a plate and insurance I would ride it.

We have some good riding over here. The best being an hour past Ottawa,
a place called Calibogie.
You should do the boogie that falls on the weekend after Labour day.

• Trench digger

Posted January 28, 2006 - 04:36 PM

Yes, riding in Quebec on two wheels is a bit tricky. The land is mostly public (part of it is private) but the government didn't want to maintain the trails so they mandate the quads associations to do it for them. They also gave them the right to limit the trails access for quads only. They claim we are going too fast and disturb the neighborhood. To some extend I agree with them, some of us are ridding without any respect for others (as usual, the good people pays for few bad guys!) This is getting pretty serious in my area, they patrol the trails and will not hesitate to call the police if they catch you.

My WR is street legal and the only reason for it is to step out of the trails if an hostile quad is after me!

Thanks for the ridding suggestion, it look interesting. Is it possible to ride these trails outside this event?

By the way, I fully support the 96 Db rule! :thumbsup:

• Bamster

Posted January 29, 2006 - 07:37 AM

Yes you can ride Calibogie outside the Boogie event.
It's just to know where all the good trails are and not get lost.
We also ride in Greenville Quebec just north of Hawksbury Ontario but trails have
been getting shut down up there. Very easy to get lost if you don't know the trails. Another good spot we ride is Limerick forest. Just north of Prescot Ontario and very easy to find. Our club the BMA take care of these trails and cut them only so wide to keep the Quads out and only so high to keep the horses out. It's all very tight single track and is a real workout to ride there. It would take you about 2 and half hours to get there. Get a couple of friends together this summer and make a day trip out of it. There are always people there riding on Sundays. You must have a plate and insurance and a quite bike.

• Trench digger

Posted January 29, 2006 - 12:21 PM

Thanks again for the ridding suggestion.

I will certainly consider riding in your area this summer! I will let you know if we get there.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.