WR or X?

21 replies to this topic
  • santacruzr

Posted January 28, 2006 - 11:53 AM

Selling my wr250....want 450 power...my kid likes his Honda 250x....the 450x is sweet looking, but my WR has been awesome....comments?? :thumbsup:

• Bamster

Posted January 28, 2006 - 12:15 PM

Would like to get rid of my big bore WR and buy a 250.

• JSanfilippo

Posted January 28, 2006 - 12:59 PM

Get the WR

• clark4131

Posted January 28, 2006 - 01:19 PM

I suggest going over to the Honda board and checking out all the wonderful little glitches they're writing about. Trannies and valves seem to be the biggest worry. The only disturbing issue I've ever seen with the WR is the '03 starter and Woodruff key issue. After that was addressed, the 04's and beyond have been rock solid. Had Honda been able to transplant the XR's reliability into the CRF line, they would have becomes the kings of the universe. I guess 5-valve technology was the key to that question...SC

• pkcof

Posted January 28, 2006 - 02:29 PM

'05 WR450 here and loving it ... maybe think about an 'X' in a another year or TWO !!

• TWILES

Posted January 28, 2006 - 02:48 PM

I was bricking the local Honda dealership owners addition and he said that the "X" wasn't that great. It was brought up because I told him that I had a 05 WR450 and he said that the Yamaha would be better anyway because the "WR line" has been around longer and has had a lot more research put into them. My wife was working there at the time and she said that 2 guys bought them and brought them back saying that they were junk. I looked at both HARD before I picked and the Honda just doesn't "look" like it would handle good. The WR stands more like a MX bike. I love mine. It just takes forever for it to get hot. I don't like Honda's though.

• jwriott

Posted January 28, 2006 - 03:54 PM

The chassis and suspension on the CRF250X smokes the WR250F. I don't see why it would be any different with the 450's.

The engines on the WR's just flat our rule in comparision for reliability. Until Honda figures out why they keep eating valves, it's either Yamaha or KTM's for me. The KTM thumpers are also very reliable. You do have to stay on to of the fork seal maintenance though.

• Matty05

Posted January 28, 2006 - 08:18 PM

The chassis and suspension on the CRF250X smokes the WR250F. I don't see why it would be any different with the 450's.

The '05 suspension was litterally the same, ever heard Yamaha's suspension called Shoyaba's? The '06 SSS suspension is definately superior to what Honda has to offer.

As for handling, that is alot different. The Honda works a lot better than the Yamaha, that is all about to change at the end of the year when the '07's come out. :thumbsup:

• WheelsUp

Posted January 28, 2006 - 08:26 PM

Ya' wanna ride or ya' wanna wrench?

Go blue and ride. :thumbsup: :bonk: :thumbsup:

• freestyle250

Posted January 28, 2006 - 09:44 PM

There are pros and cons to both of them. but just look at the overall experience, yamaha has had the four stroke so much longer than honda. and honda just came out with the X last year. if you ask me you are better off with the WR. and you dont have to keep adjusting valves like you would on the CRF

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YamahaWR450FMike

Posted January 28, 2006 - 11:58 PM

two letters WR

• TWILES

Posted January 29, 2006 - 11:30 AM

I don't think there will be a bike out that will really compare to the WR untill the rest of the companies start focusing on a 450 woods bike. Most of the GNCC pro's are still on 2-strokes. Yamaha is running a YZ250 as far as I know. Scott Summers is supposed to be running an X. I think in a couple of years there will be striaght competition 450 woods bikes from all the manufacturers like the MX bikes are now. KTM would be a great bike but the closest dealer to me is 2 hours away.

• jwriott

Posted January 29, 2006 - 02:44 PM

The '05 suspension was litterally the same, ever heard Yamaha's suspension called Shoyaba's? The '06 SSS suspension is definately superior to what Honda has to offer.

As for handling, that is alot different. The Honda works a lot better than the Yamaha, that is all about to change at the end of the year when the '07's come out. :bonk:

Literally the same and the same are 2 different things. This isn't horseshoes. Additionally, chassis dimensions can make the same suspension feel completely different between 2 bikes.

I also haven't read anywhere that said the Yamaha's suspension is better this year than the Honda's, just the opposite. I'm sure the rest of the field will just wait for Yamaha to come out with a bike that handles better than theirs for 07'. :thumbsup:

The ultimate bike would be the Honda's chassis suspension with the Yamaha WR engine for reliability.

Until then, I'd stick with the WR over the X any day.

• Matty05

Posted January 29, 2006 - 03:46 PM

Literally the same and the same are 2 different things. This isn't horseshoes.

You would think so wouldn't you? You are wrong!
Showa twin chamber forks and the '05 Kayaba AOSS forks, you could swap stickers and couldn't tell the difference internally and by feel.

Just like every 250 2 stroke has an identical cylinder to the Yamaha's.

Additionally, chassis dimensions can make the same suspension feel completely different between 2 bikes.

That my freind is called handling. Suspension and handling are two different things.

Yes, the Honda CRF450X handles better than the WR450F.

I also haven't read anywhere that said the Yamaha's suspension is better this year than the Honda's, just the opposite. I'm sure the rest of the field will just wait for Yamaha to come out with a bike that handles better than theirs for 07'. :thumbsup:

Are you saying that yamaha's '06 "works" shock is worse than the Honda's?
The forks were identical in '05, Honda changed nothing for '06 and the yamaha's SSS forks are the best forks on a production bike.

WR's suspension is better than that of the X, handling is not. As you know, WR's follow the YZ's by a year, look at the YZ for next years WR.

Until then, I'd stick with the WR over the X any day.

Amen to that FOREVER AND EVER! :bonk:

• jwriott

Posted January 29, 2006 - 05:40 PM

That my freind is called handling. Suspension and handling are two different things.

Sorry but dimensional changes on a chassis have a huge effect on the way the suspension works. You can't just swap parts from bike to bike and expect them to behave the same way. Linkage lengths, wheelbase, head angle, etc. all effect the way the suspension works. Like I said, I've only ridden the 250F's but the suspension AND handling of the Honda are much better than the Yamaha. The bike feels like magic in both handling and suspension.

You were missing my point which is that the suspension doesn't work as well regardless of whether or not they are of the same quality.

• Beejay

Posted January 29, 2006 - 06:30 PM

I took a 06 450x for a ride last saturday & was surprised how well the suspension handled, much smoother than my 06WR450F, but then I still have'nt got my suspension dialed in like I want it.
I'm happy with my WR, the reliability is the deciding factor here.

• Matty05

Posted January 29, 2006 - 06:34 PM

Sorry but dimensional changes on a chassis have a huge effect on the way the suspension works. You can't just swap parts from bike to bike and expect them to behave the same way. Linkage lengths, wheelbase, head angle, etc. all effect the way the suspension works. Like I said, I've only ridden the 250F's but the suspension AND handling of the Honda are much better than the Yamaha. The bike feels like magic in both handling and suspension.

450's handle WAY different to 250's. Couldn't be more apart. I got both, I know. Yes you can swap suspension, what do you think factory teams do to improve handling? I got both bikes suspension revalved and new springs, oh my god, because the suspension improved, the handling improved. I didn't change frame, wheelbase, head angle, linkage lengths..........

The forks and shock is suspension, the way the suspension works is handling!
The suspension is better on the Yamaha's, the handling is better on the Honda's. :thumbsup:

• bluethundaaaa

Posted January 29, 2006 - 07:53 PM

another vote for the WR! :thumbsup:

• D Trider

Posted January 29, 2006 - 08:55 PM

honda's going to handle better but yamaha's going to work better especially if your going to pipe them.

• Lewis_YFZ_450

Posted January 30, 2006 - 07:43 AM

I've heard that the X is a quicker bike, i dont know if its true, but what good does it do anyway if u ride it for an hour and then work on it for an hour? I would never buy a honda, I have had far to much reliability with yamaha quads and bikes to think about switching brands, buy the WR its a great, reliable bike :thumbsup: I even take mine on the MX track every now and then

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.