Need help on 05 WR450 exhaust

7 replies to this topic
  • nqglen

Posted January 27, 2006 - 07:43 PM

I have an 05 WR450 and I am tossing up between the Bills and Micron exhaust systems. Does anyone anyone have any thoughts on which one would be better?

• CISCO

Posted January 27, 2006 - 08:41 PM

Every Micron system Ive ever seen stinks. Bills pipes makes a WR pipe?

Go with a DRD if they are available in AU. thats my .02

• nqglen

Posted January 27, 2006 - 08:57 PM

Every Micron system Ive ever seen stinks. Bills pipes makes a WR pipe?

Go with a DRD if they are available in AU. thats my .02

I believe Micron are only new to the dirt bike scene. Have you experience with them in dirt bikes?

• CISCO

Posted January 28, 2006 - 05:40 AM

Nope. their street systems are garbage unless your into bling. Typically heavy and poor fit for starters. Buy an exhaust for the right reasons, not because its a pretty color. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • OneToGo

Posted January 28, 2006 - 06:27 AM

Your in Aus. I was just down there and had a look around for a pipe for my 06 WR (basically the same for as a 05) so we are looking at the same thing. There are a bunch of threads on this already on this site and I can honestly say NO One has mentioned Micron. Even for a road end can they dont rate very highly or am I missing something?
I suggest you have a browse around in the WR forum and get an idea from the many, very knowledgable people who contirbute here - you may not get too many replies to this post as this topic crops up a lot, but I will give you my .02 worth.
Personally, depending on how much noise you can tolerate, the neighbours, police , park rangers etc. can also tolerate, I suggest you look at GYT-R, FMF, Staintune, Dr D., Big Gun and Procircuit for starters. They all have a multitude of options. (Excuse me if you have already done so). FMF and GYT-R are popular in AUS, easily obtainable and good products. Staintune also rate well down there and I have firends that attest to the Aussie brand. I have personally gone for FMF Q2 and Powerbomb header, but, its horses for courses.
Good luck, so many options can be confusing!
:thumbsup:
Happy riding :bonk:

• nqglen

Posted January 28, 2006 - 04:16 PM

Your in Aus. I was just down there and had a look around for a pipe for my 06 WR (basically the same for as a 05) so we are looking at the same thing. There are a bunch of threads on this already on this site and I can honestly say NO One has mentioned Micron. Even for a road end can they dont rate very highly or am I missing something?
I suggest you have a browse around in the WR forum and get an idea from the many, very knowledgable people who contirbute here - you may not get too many replies to this post as this topic crops up a lot, but I will give you my .02 worth.
Personally, depending on how much noise you can tolerate, the neighbours, police , park rangers etc. can also tolerate, I suggest you look at GYT-R, FMF, Staintune, Dr D., Big Gun and Procircuit for starters. They all have a multitude of options. (Excuse me if you have already done so). FMF and GYT-R are popular in AUS, easily obtainable and good products. Staintune also rate well down there and I have firends that attest to the Aussie brand. I have personally gone for FMF Q2 and Powerbomb header, but, its horses for courses.
Good luck, so many options can be confusing!
:thumbsup:
Happy riding :bonk:

Thanks for the tips. I'll go with one of what you suggest.

• Matty05

Posted January 28, 2006 - 08:05 PM

staintune are good mufflers, never have to repack, come with a "quiet insert" choker, but they are horribly long and prone to damage. Ballards use them on their race bikes and would be the ones to see about them, they are the cheapest I have found and their service is the best in the country. Best of all they know what the f*** they are talking about!

Not sure but the GYT-R mufflers might be cheaper than staintune, especially the propower one that comes in the 94db and 98db versions.

I highly recommend the 98db one, I have got one on the WR250F. It isn't really that loud at all. The GYT-R headers fit it, the propower full systems are just the header and slip-on, it cost the same to buy them together or separately. The stock header is great, I would only change if I wreck it. I haven't seen anyone with the 94db one but I suspect it would be great also. Quality of the GYT-R stuff is exellent, not to mention the full Yamaha dealer support. Performance matches the quality.

• Duke9

Posted May 01, 2008 - 05:35 AM

I know this is an old thread but i just picked up a 06 WR450 and it has full Micron system. The header pipe where it wraps from the head seems to be flat and about half the size (inturnal diameter) than the rest of the system. It doesn't look like it has been damaged as the bend is consistent. I am confused as to why the system would be restricted. Wouldn't this cause a loss of power or is some backpressure beneficial?
BTW This is my first real post and im from Australia
Chris

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.