help, new bike with problems

8 replies to this topic
  • JOELB

Posted January 27, 2006 - 06:41 PM

2006 wr 450, grey wire & throttle stop screw only, only been 15 miles
bike made loud pop sound & died. started back up but will not rev. even in first it luggs like your in 5th. whats up?

• new2blu

Posted January 27, 2006 - 07:40 PM

Since you did the gray wire mod the jetting may need to be changed. When you say the bike luggs in first gear---do you mean there is a big bog while in first? If so that usually means the bike is running lean. The jetting will need to be richened.

• clark4131

Posted January 27, 2006 - 10:13 PM

Are you sure you cut the right wire? I suggest re-connecting it to see if that's the problem...SC

• Matty05

Posted January 27, 2006 - 10:36 PM

I would say you need to have a serious look at jetting.
Have a look at Indy's jetting specs in the jetting sticky.

You need a 48 pilot jet for starters, a JD jetting kit is good (2 needles and 4 main jets), and an adjustable fuel screw is worth it's weight in gold.

A good place to start is with the GYT-R AIS removal kit. This will stop a lot of popping on decel. It has a 48 pilot jet, an adjustable needle to start with, a yz throttlestop and the block off parts.
http://www.yamaha-mo...0/0/detail.aspx

* May I be the first to say WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF MODIFYING YOUR BIKE! *
You definately came to the right place!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • snakesausage

Posted January 28, 2006 - 12:02 AM

Jetting should not cause a sudden change in acceleration capability.

It sounds like you may have one of your jets plugged or something wrong with your fuel.

First drain some of your fuel into a container so you can inspect what comes out. There could have been some debris that was in your tank or carb that finally made it into one of your jets (start with your main jet).

Also check your exhaust and intake for blockage.

Where in Texas are you located?

• Matty05

Posted January 28, 2006 - 08:44 PM

Jetting should not cause a sudden change in acceleration capability.

It certainly would if jetting was lean (stock is way lean) to start with, he did the mods (derestricting means more fuel in = more power out!) and now unrideable.

You tell me what going from the long to short throttle stop does, and how this would effect jetting? I will tell you. Being able to open the slide fully doubles the volume of air available to the engine. It the fuel supply doesn't match the air supply, guess what...........

I am guessing he has to rase the needle (can't do it with stock!) 2 or so clips, bigger pilot and bigger main.

• pops 56

Posted January 29, 2006 - 03:19 AM

Joelb. Check the timing you might have done in a keyway ?.

• snakesausage

Posted January 29, 2006 - 10:29 PM

Matty05,

His post was not very clear and could be interpreted more than one way.

The way I read it:
he did the mods > went 15 miles > heard a loud pop > poor acceleration.

I rode my bike 400 miles before re-jetting with same mods he had. Besides very poor idle when ambient temperatures were less than 15°C and a little bit of bog during hard acceleration, it was ok, no dieing, no popping, and adequate acceleration (for a noob like me).

It looks to me that something suddenly changed after riding 15 miles and the loud pop.

I agree with you that his jetting does need to be changed as you suggested, but he may have something else going on here.

• Matty05

Posted January 29, 2006 - 10:56 PM

I agree with you that his jetting does need to be changed as you suggested, but he may have something else going on here.

Definately, like a leaky exhaust!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.