H.I.D. Lighting Sys. Has anyone tried one?

6 replies to this topic
  • Dan_Lorenze

Posted September 12, 2001 - 10:05 PM

Guys, Im getting ready to race the "Best in the Desert" Vegas to Reno race in a couple of weeks. From what I understand It will take me at least 12-14 hours to finish. (I hope), this means that there's a good chance that I'll be riding at night, my eye sight isnt the greatest and I'll need all the help I can get. I've heard that this might be a good alternative for me. Does anyone out there have any expierences with the system? How about on a WR426?? Thanks

• sirhk

Posted September 13, 2001 - 05:46 AM

I don't see why there would be any problem with an HID system except for the cost. Those lights and the ignitor system are spendy. You might want to get in touch with Baja Designs cause I'm sure they have experience with them and could get you all the info you need.

"What's that?"
"It's a Yellow 99' YZ400!!"

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted September 13, 2001 - 06:45 AM

Khris, Thanks for the info, It's already on the way and I will be putting it on, just wanted to know if anyone has one on their bike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sirhk

Posted September 13, 2001 - 06:57 AM

Have you seen HID lights? they are awesome!!! So much brighter then a standard light and use less power from the charging system. Eventually once I get my truck built up the way I'm dreaming I'm going to run 3 Hella HID across the front. How's the temps in your area recently? Aren't you in the high desert? Is it cooling down at all yet?

"What's that?"
"It's a Yellow 99' YZ400!!"

• Chris_C

Posted September 13, 2001 - 09:48 PM

I spoke with Ben at Baja Designs, he is very knowledgable and helpful. He doesn't think you will necessarily need to do the stator mod we talked about - it depends on how the ignitor is configured for a HID system or how you ground for a higher wattage "conventional" headlight. Apparently the stator mod only makes a really significant difference on the '98 and '99 WRs due to the way they were wound.
I would suggest talking to Ben at Baja Designs. Good luck and keep me posted on your progress.

Take Care,

• Pepe-Baja

Posted September 13, 2001 - 12:53 PM

[QUOTE]Guys: I have been using Baja Designs HID setup and it does make a huge difference. Originally it was setup on an xr400 that had the PIAA fog beam h4 light pattern. When I sold the bike I kept the light and moved all the hid components to the CIBIE superoscar driving beam pattern with the Baja designs quick release frame. Cibie has a better beam for long range. It is a very good light for off road. Talk to Chad or Ven at Baja Designs..tell them Pepe Said hola...

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted September 13, 2001 - 06:13 PM

Thanks guys for the info.
Chris, I'll give Baja Designs a call tomorrow regarding our floating ground mod. If I dont need it I wont bother with it. Thanks

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.