New 06 YZ450F help/advice

13 replies to this topic
  • NYMXer

Posted January 27, 2006 - 01:28 PM

OK, I am getting a new 06 YZ450F and it is my firsrt 4 stroke. I want the bike right ASAP because getting adjusted will on my mind and not imporvements.
So, what should I do right away, soon after break in and what should I leave alone?

I've read about changing out the front tire, some jetting issues and differant bars. Besides the normal set up of sag, etc..........what else do I need to do?
Thaks in advance for your input. :thumbsup:

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted January 27, 2006 - 02:00 PM

Check here:

http://www.thumperfaq.com

Oh, and do a search if you want more specific posts. This has been discussed at length.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted January 27, 2006 - 02:08 PM

Check here:

Was there anything about a 06 450 F on there. I didnt see it.

• NYMXer

Posted January 27, 2006 - 02:28 PM

Check here:

Oh, and do a search if you want more specific posts. This has been discussed at length.

Your link was about older 250F's. I was seeking input on a specific year and model. I am sorry if my questions were redundant to you. Maybe others out there will be a little kinder and more helpful to a 4 banger and TT newbie. :thumbsup:

• zcookie49

Posted January 27, 2006 - 04:58 PM

I've read to make sure that the forks are slid thru the top triple clamp to the 1st etched line on the fork. Also, that the protaper bar has a low rise, if this is a problem, instead of buying high bend bars, they recommend going up 10mm in bar riser height. Pro taper sells them for $60, 35mm, 45, 55 mm risers.. I need to figure out what is the stock height, probably 35mm, anyone know? I will ride mine at the track for the first time tomorrow. If I have a problem with the front end, I am going to get the risers.

• NYMXer

Posted January 27, 2006 - 05:10 PM

Thanks for the info zcookie49. Keep me posted as to your findings either here or PM please. Thanks and have fun tomorrow.............I wish I was riding too. Darn snow!

• DPW

Posted January 27, 2006 - 06:40 PM

keep an eye on the rear sprocket bolts...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 2012 450 xc-w

Posted January 28, 2006 - 05:12 AM

aftermarket fuel screw is important (I think), make certain to change your oil after a ride or two and check valve clearances. Dunlop 755 is a GREAT front tire.

• NYMXer

Posted January 28, 2006 - 02:36 PM

Thanks all...................any more?

• DPW

Posted January 28, 2006 - 02:46 PM

Thanks all...................any more?

an hour meter will help keep track of oil changes.

Sears Lawn and Garden section $29

http://www.thumperta...achmentid=11616

• j33716

Posted January 28, 2006 - 04:57 PM

Most people need more info...

Rider level
Track or trail
Conditions
Normal Climate

All of these have major differences

Mine is great!

I choose a 50 tooth sprocket,lowered the forks to the first line, set the suspension for my size and weight and that's about it.

I am a C class rider in Florida. Lots of sand and loose tracks as well as clay hard pack.

• cubera

Posted January 28, 2006 - 05:07 PM

FWIW, I'd ride the crap out of it as a new bike then dial it in as best you can before thinking you need to change anything. Have the dealer mechanic dial it in for your weight and riding ability. Make sure bolts are tight everywhere before every ride and just enjoy the bike. You'll have plenty of time to make changes specific to your needs as things wear out. If you are all set to make a bunch of changes on a brand new bike before you spend some time on it you should buy a different bike IMHO.

• zcookie49

Posted January 28, 2006 - 09:21 PM

rode the bike today..Phenominal.
My forks were set up with the tops of the fork meeting top of triple clamp. I raised them up to the 1st etched line on the top of the forks. I didnt notice any problems with turning whatsoever.
read the post about the hour meter, I have to redo mine.

• NYMXer

Posted January 29, 2006 - 06:44 AM

If you are all set to make a bunch of changes on a brand new bike before you spend some time on it you should buy a different bike IMHO.

I wouldn't call changing bars, a chain and a tire a bunch of changes. I know that EVERY bike has little things that the rider should look into ASAP and those are the heads up I am looking for. I can tell you that I WILL be adding a quality chain, and let a ride decide if a front tire and higher bars are needed. The hour meter advice was good and I liked the one about checking the sprocket bolts, amongst others. That is what I was asking for, not exaggerated remarks. :thumbsup:
BTW..............I love this smiley guy :bonk: :thumbsup: :eek: :p :worthy:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450FX OR YZ450F by MESSMAKER

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  30 replies
Forums
Photo

05 yz450f not fast enough by RedeyeYZ

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  38 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.