93 XR650L vs 96 XR600R - HELP !

37 replies to this topic
  • BOLT Performance

Posted January 26, 2006 - 06:37 PM

Hi gang:

I have a 96 XR600R that I love... Had since new... gonna keep forever ! But like an idiot I did not plate it. This is her all washed up. Not bad for an old broad.

Posted Image

An opportunity to buy a friends 93 XR650L comes along for $1,200. He is young, bought it used and it may or may not be in good condition internally. I should get a chance to ride it in Cal City this weekend.

If I buy the 93 650L, I will put a paddle on my 600R for Glamis and Dumont and use the 650L for Ocotillo, Cal City etc, and the occasional dual sport trip or to run from camp to town in Big Bear, Mammoth or wherever.

My Questions:
  • How similar are these two bikes in performance ?
  • Is the weight difference huge?
  • Besides some wiring, starter, battery and lights whats the real differences in the motor/carb/intake on the two bikes?
  • Should I be looking for anything particular when checking out the bike regarding motor fitness?
I know there are some old skewl Honda guys on here and I appreciate your input!

Jeff

• Mountain Road Madness

Posted January 26, 2006 - 06:49 PM

Man that is a sweet bike you have. Test ride the L you'll like it. I say theres only one thing better than owning a Honda. Its owning two of them LOL. :thumbsup:

• goblin127

Posted January 26, 2006 - 09:04 PM

I have seen it said here on TT that the 600 has a is higher compresion and has a cam to compliment it.

• snaggleXR650

Posted January 27, 2006 - 05:09 AM

I'm pretty sure the 600 makes about the same, or a bit more HP than the 650L. The L's are tuned pretty mild. Also, I think the L has a good 30-40lbs on the 600. I believe the piston compression is higher on the 600. Other than that, I think the 650L and 600's share many of the same parts (like exhaust) and such. Others will know more surely. Nice bike by the way. For $1200 you can't go wrong with the L. However, if you want it to perform like your 600 offroad, you will have to sink some more $ into it I believe. Good luck.

• Wheels up

Posted January 27, 2006 - 06:34 AM

An uncorked 650 L would make same power and more torque. Throw in a cam and higher compression on the 650 L you may see more power than the 600.

• Wheels up

Posted January 27, 2006 - 06:36 AM

The carb on the 650 L is like a........... piece of **** if you know what im saying. But if you tinker with them correctly they perform well.

• oldturtle

Posted January 27, 2006 - 06:50 AM

The 650L has a much heavier front end feel to me. You really notice this when getting front end over water bars, logs, and other trail obstacles. I believe you can still get your XR600 street registered. I received this info from Baja Designs recently and I plan to do this with my XR400. I just don't see much sense in getting a used 650L of questionable condition when you have a perfectly good 600.

• Motosprtman

Posted January 27, 2006 - 06:53 AM

Very similair except for the adidtional weightof street legal equipment. The XR600R is lighter of course and I would think feels a bit faster... rememeber that all the XR650L really is, is an XR600 with a NX650 motor stuffed in it and it has remained that way since it's inception. Therefore gearing is taller on the XR650L (for street use) and weight as I mentioned is a bit heavier. I would think that an uncorked 650L would be equal to the XR600R in a flat out drag.

• scooter1100

Posted January 27, 2006 - 07:53 AM

ratios in tranny are slightly different, The HRC hop up kit for the 600 is a 650L basket and primary gear, cam and intake/exhaust mods

• EMathy

Posted January 27, 2006 - 10:35 AM

I don't know if it's still for sale, but there *was* a bitchin' street titled XR600 up here for sale all this month. You could sell yours and move over to that one.

http://www.craigslis.../127046410.html

- Erik

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BOLT Performance

Posted January 27, 2006 - 11:17 AM

Thanks for all the replies guys...

I'm no longer interested in trying to slip my R through the cracks at the DMV... I believe this will come back to haunt people that have done it... Just like the folks that got green stickers and then the DMV mails them RED stickers upon renewal...

On top of that, I can have this 93 L for about the cost of a Baja Designs kit, a desert tank and a nobby... Having a dedicated Dunes bike with green sticker... and a dedicated Dual Sport that is unquestionably LEGAL for street use that also has the bonus of a magic button all sounds pretty good to me...

Let's talk about the carb...
  • Whats the difference on the two carbs...?
  • Is the 93 L one of the vacuum operated jobs?
  • Would I be better served to slap an R type replacement on the L ?
My 600R is fast... But could use more top end speed in the wide open areas... I'm always trying to shift up and surprised to find I am out of gears...
  • Does anyone know specs on the difference in tranys on both bikes ?

• LotsOfBikes

Posted January 27, 2006 - 11:26 PM

The carb on the 650L is a Constant Velocity Carburetor. Very efficient, not really responsive in stock form, but can be modified easily!

The only difference in internal gearing between the XR600R and the XR650L is first gear. The L has a lower first gear. If you were to put a 15-tooth front sprocket on your XR600 (Like what is on the stock 650L,) You'd have identical gearing in every gear to the 650L from second on up. A stock XR600R should be able to go 115 mph at the top of fifth gear with a 15/45 combination.

You could put an XR600R gear set in a 650L if you also replace the Main shaft and countershaft, but the individual gears are not interchangeable between bikes.. The 650L tranny is not as robust as the 600R.. Why Honda did it this way is a mystery to me.

I have raced an XR600R in Motocross and Desert. I have raced my ’95 650L in the desert (not fun.) The XR600R is far more capable in both arenas. But there is nothing like the expressions on the faces of fellow riders when they see my 650L loft over a huge triple jump! :thumbsup:

• BOLT Performance

Posted January 27, 2006 - 11:57 PM

So if the motor is same... carb is doable... gearing same except 1st gear... and you strip off all non essential weight... what makes your L so much worse that the R in the desert... A little weight... vacuum delay on carb and different first gear that I would rarely use seems a subtle difference... especially if I throw an XR carb on there or do the mods...

From a ridability stand point whats diff...?

You seem to know the bikes pretty well... Thanks for helping me out...

• LotsOfBikes

Posted January 28, 2006 - 12:26 AM

I've ridden a 650L that had been stripped down. The XR600R still feels lighter. It is easier to shift through the gears without using the clutch. The engine on the 600R doesn't have as heavy an alternator, or the gobs of weight associatied with having the electric start.

The 600R climbs hills better. The gap between first and second on the 650L is horrendous, sometimes hideous. You can damage/wear out second gear by shifting out of first gear with the engine at the rev-limiter. Also, the 650L finds neutral between any gear.

If you could relocate the battery box, and the guts to somewhere towards the front of the bike, it'd help considerably. There is too much weight in the back of the 650L.

But that said, my 650L is still my favorite. Very long legs for extended trips. Kept stock, if you throw a set of good knobbies on it, and with a little finesse, it'll go nearly every place that I can take an XR600R.

Claimed dry weight of the XR600R was around 271lbs. Claimed dry weight of the 650L was 328 lbs. The XR400R was 254lbs.

My porky 650L with a full 6.0 gallons tipped the scales at 364 lbs.

• BOLT Performance

Posted January 29, 2006 - 11:35 PM

Thanks Sean...

To improve carburation... would you prefer:

• A properly jetted cable driven R carburetor?
  • a properly Modded Vacuum delayed Constant Velocity stock carb?
I'll be posting pics and stats as I develop both my beloved 96 XR600R and the new purchase of the 93 XR650L... I think it will be interesting what I come up with on final weight, gearing and horsepower comparison.

• LotsOfBikes

Posted January 30, 2006 - 05:38 AM

There are that you can do to make your 650L rip.

This link has been posed on this forum before, and it kicks a$$ !!!

http://4strokes.com/...xr650lcarbmods/

• BOLT Performance

Posted January 30, 2006 - 01:22 PM

There are that you can do to make your 650L rip.

This link has been posed on this forum before, and it kicks a$$ !!!

http://4strokes.com/...xr650lcarbmods/

Thanks... I plan to do that mod... I am still worried about the delay... I just don't like the idea of having motor vacuum being responsible for opening the slide... I'm tempted to do the MOD... and then swap my R Carb set up onto the bike to see how that changes performance...

Although laziness could prohibit that test... LOL

• rmhrc630

Posted January 30, 2006 - 03:42 PM

The carb on the 650L is a Constant Velocity Carburetor. Very efficient, not really responsive in stock form, but can be modified easily!

The only difference in internal gearing between the XR600R and the XR650L is first gear. The L has a lower first gear. If you were to put a 15-tooth front sprocket on your XR600 (Like what is on the stock 650L,) You'd have identical gearing in every gear to the 650L from second on up. A stock XR600R should be able to go 115 mph at the top of fifth gear with a 15/45 combination.

You could put an XR600R gear set in a 650L if you also replace the Main shaft and countershaft, but the individual gears are not interchangeable between bikes.. The 650L tranny is not as robust as the 600R.. Why Honda did it this way is a mystery to me.

I have raced an XR600R in Motocross and Desert. I have raced my ’95 650L in the desert (not fun.) The XR600R is far more capable in both arenas. But there is nothing like the expressions on the faces of fellow riders when they see my 650L loft over a huge triple jump! :thumbsup:

hey lots of bikes can you shed some light on the ease of fitting electric start to the XR600?

I have bought all the parts - I am already aware in getting the stator rewound for DC power to charge the battery, but from the sounds of it, it wouldnt be too hard??

are there any "gotchas" from your point of view as far as things which aren't compatible between the motors? Is there anything down that side of the motor you've seen that made you think gee that is vastly different between the models?

• LotsOfBikes

Posted January 31, 2006 - 10:24 PM

You don't need to rewind your stator. The 650L does have a voltage regulator/rectifier that the 600R does not have. Both bike have a 190 watt stator, stock! You may want to see about getting an aftermarket voltage rectifier/regulator. The XR650L and the XR600R have a different way of generating spark. You'll discover this too.

I have never installed an XR650L starter on an XR600R. I don't know if there will be any funky differences. The crank shaft on the 650L may be longer, I don't know. You'll clear those hurdles when you get to them with $$$$$ :thumbsup:

The funkiness I discovered is that the gear sets are different. You could take an entire XR600R transmission, with the mainshaft and coutershaft and install them on an XR650L engine, but the individual gears have a different design, even though they have identical numbers of teeth, except for first. :thumbsup:

• LotsOfBikes

Posted January 31, 2006 - 10:27 PM

BOLT Performance,

From what I understand, there will be no delay in throttle response after the modification. It'll never be like it could be with a pumper carb, but you'll still get better mileage out of a CV.

You won't discover the BIG problems until you take you 650L into some sand :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.