YZ400 popping on decel

8 replies to this topic
  • theclone

Posted January 26, 2006 - 02:02 PM

I know I need to adjust the pilot jet, but that's as far as my knowledge goes. Anyone wanna help?

EDIT: w00t! silver member!

OK back on topic...

• flintlock28

Posted January 26, 2006 - 04:10 PM

Don't overlook the Fuel Screw.....

This time of year, with the temperature fluctuating, you can have the fuel screw off by a little bit, and she will backfire on deceleration.

I was at the track Sunday, and my bike was backfiring on decel. gave about 1/4 turn out, and no more backfiring. Try this first.

• theclone

Posted January 26, 2006 - 04:59 PM

Don't overlook the Fuel Screw.....

This time of year, with the temperature fluctuating, you can have the fuel screw off by a little bit, and she will backfire on deceleration.

I was at the track Sunday, and my bike was backfiring on decel. gave about 1/4 turn out, and no more backfiring. Try this first.

OK, that's what I thought at first, but after doing a search I thought it was the pilot jet. So how do I go about doing this? I got tired of searching through the manual, so that's why I am here. :thumbsup:

• kawirider

Posted January 26, 2006 - 06:24 PM

could be a leak in your exhaust or carburator

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FlashGordon

Posted January 26, 2006 - 07:40 PM

Try a 48 pilot jet, with 2 turns out on the fuel screw. Made my de-accel pops go away.

• flintlock28

Posted January 26, 2006 - 07:46 PM

The Fuel screw is a recessed screw that is on the bottom of the carb., closest to the handlebars. It is a pain in the azz to adjust, since it is recesed. You generally have to get a stubby screwdriver, and then you have to grind down the screwdriver so that it's even shorter to fit.

The best $ 20 or so you can spend is for an Aftermarket fuel screw replacement, like the Zip-Ty model that I use. You simply remove the stock recessed screw, and install the Zip-Ty, which is a longer screw that has a knurled knob attached that also has graduated numbers on it. Now you no longer need to carry around a short screwdriver with you, you simply reach down and turn the Zip-Ty fuel screw by hand. It can make a big difference as to how crisp the throttle response is from idle to about 1/3 of throttle, it also will eliminate deceleration backfiring, if the carb is jetted reasonably where it should be.

http://www.ziptyraci...ryID=110&order=

• swatcie

Posted January 26, 2006 - 08:35 PM

I think it is normal for the yz400s because the one I had did the same thing. It also used to shoot flames out the exhaust lol! :thumbsup:

• theclone

Posted January 26, 2006 - 08:48 PM

The Fuel screw is a recessed screw that is on the bottom of the carb., closest to the handlebars. It is a pain in the azz to adjust, since it is recesed. You generally have to get a stubby screwdriver, and then you have to grind down the screwdriver so that it's even shorter to fit.

The best $ 20 or so you can spend is for an Aftermarket fuel screw replacement, like the Zip-Ty model that I use. You simply remove the stock recessed screw, and install the Zip-Ty, which is a longer screw that has a knurled knob attached that also has graduated numbers on it. Now you no longer need to carry around a short screwdriver with you, you simply reach down and turn the Zip-Ty fuel screw by hand. It can make a big difference as to how crisp the throttle response is from idle to about 1/3 of throttle, it also will eliminate deceleration backfiring, if the carb is jetted reasonably where it should be.

http://www.ziptyraci...ryID=110&order=

thanks! that's the info I needed. :thumbsup: :bonk:

A little off topic but I thought this was funny. I saw this on the page you linked me to:

Please note that some of the DR-Zs - streetlegal - do not have the Keihin pumper carb - at least what we've seen in California (for our stringent - read: ridiculous - emissions laws).

:thumbsup: ridiculous is an understatement

• palmdaleRider

Posted January 26, 2006 - 09:11 PM

Just a thought, try some STP carb cleaner. Mix 2-3 ounces in a tank and run fast. Might clean up some deposits. My bike use to backfire like a fiend and this sort of simple treatment has done wonders.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.