MXA Shootout...

18 replies to this topic
  • VETMX808

Posted January 25, 2006 - 08:36 PM

"06 450 finished last in the Dirt Rider MX shootout

Actually it tied 3rd with the Suzuki and KTM although it did get the least percentage of the votes. Why is this? I don't own one nor have I ever ridden one, but I do sell them at the shop I work at. Naturally I am concerned. It seems the biggest item that the testers griped about was the handling. I believe they said that it wants to wash out in turns. Is this true? I am looking at buying one and was just curious if this was true or not."

You guys got 1st in MXA! :thumbsup:

But my beloved KXF450 got last! :thumbsup:

The mag's are just bad this year...not because the bike I ride was last in this particular mag, but the unpredictable, unknowledgeable and scattered results the mag's have produced.

But on the other hand, all the bikes must be pretty good! :bonk: If they cannot agree on one clear winner.

• grayracer513

Posted January 25, 2006 - 08:40 PM

Last? That's pretty cold, man. I'm a little surprised at that. What did they attribute that ranking to? Power band too "old school" or something?

• Dolce_Grappa

Posted January 25, 2006 - 10:30 PM

I wish someone could explain it to me also, MXA at least tried to tune the so-called YZ handling issues out. No other mag did say that. People here posted about it's handling being near what a CRF250 is after these adjustments new front tire, sag and sliding the forks up. I rode a CRF a couple weeks ago an wished my 04 YZ450 handle as well in the corners.

Additionally it's funny how over the years Yamaha has been bashed for making the powerband more usable! If you look back through the old issues, 02 was two-stroke like, the 03 was the business, 04 had no hit like the 03 which made it better, 05 motor was lame and 06 is too smooth. Honda on the other hand went the opposite way and was praised. My wife would say the moral in this story is "Don't be a Honda Lover"

I personally haven't rode any of the 06's, I've been trying to filter out the B.S., so I can make a decision on which one to buy.

• Diode663

Posted January 26, 2006 - 12:09 AM

I thought the 03 450 hit like a monster and then the 04 was the bussiness and then the 05 got weaker and then the 06 is just weak now.

• grayracer513

Posted January 26, 2006 - 08:18 AM

The '06 is NOT weak, not in any way. Read Burned's comments and Look at the Dyno Chart he got from an '06 YZ450F (red line) and an '06 CRF450 (blue line). (both bikes jetted for the altitude) They are a mirror of each other. The YZ450 is sneaky smooth this year. If you run it in a straight line, it doesn't impress you that much as being particularly fast, but then you ask, "Was this trail always this narrow?" and, "How did I get here so soon?". It's power that doesn't require as much management to put into use as the early ones do, and makes the bike easier to ride. The one I rode went at least side by side with everything that was on the track with me.

And you're right about the whole perception thing regarding the power output. I remember clearly when the YZ450 was introduced. Nearly everyone slammed it for being the second coming of the CR500. "Too aggressive", "a pure race bike", "only serious racers" would want it, they said. "More than any mere mortal can handle". (at the time when I first rode one, I had a CR500, and after riding the YZF, I couldn't really understand what all the fuss was about). The 4 speed was also slammed as a "racers only" thing, and these two digs on the bike are responsible for the soft sales Yamaha had with it.

And yet, each time Yamaha has tried to soften the engine a little to make it more like the CRF, they were criticized. When Honda added more snap, they were praised. Now that the two engines produce the same power, people are still trying to say there's something wrong with the Yamaha. Not only that, some people who complained about the 4 speed are now hailing the RMZ and KXF models for having one, and criticizing the YZ for going back to a 5. But there's no prejudice, no.

• Satch0922

Posted January 26, 2006 - 08:49 AM

the 06 is one of the best bikes I have ever ridden...and I have ridden all colors. It is ready for whatever you wanna dish out. No surprises and nothing to bite you. Most all the 450's are this now (2006) with subtle differences.

• Dolce_Grappa

Posted January 26, 2006 - 11:16 AM

Greyracee,
I too jumped off of the 500 ship back in '02, although I was on a KX. I loved the 426, and don't miss fifth gear on my 450.

• saccityfire

Posted January 26, 2006 - 11:30 AM

Just rode 06 yz450f yesterday for the first time. The power is so smooth that it is easy to go too fast on. if you want to accelerate more quickly just twist the throttle further, there's plenty of power! Also, the suspension is really really good.

• kevin204

Posted January 26, 2006 - 11:51 AM

I think the 450's are getting so close now that it's hard for one bike to come out ahead. It's a good thing really.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • debounce

Posted January 26, 2006 - 02:29 PM

I thought the 03 450 hit like a monster and then the 04 was the bussiness and then the 05 got weaker and then the 06 is just weak now.

The 06 is FAR from weak. I raced a guy I know that has an 03, and I would get the holeshot 20 feet every time, and the bike had less than 1 hour on it, but I weigh 30 punds less than him.

• jtrone

Posted January 26, 2006 - 02:36 PM

The reason why the YZ got last in the Dirt Rider Shootout is because of some guy named Cameron Heisser gave the Yz a 79 out of 100. :thumbsup: The fool gave the Honda a 98 out of 100. Come on, there is not that big of a difference between the two is there?

• Troutman

Posted January 26, 2006 - 03:25 PM

But on the other hand, all the bikes must be pretty good! :bonk: If they cannot agree on one clear winner.

I believe this is the true reason for the scattered results, these bikes all rock and not a one of them will keep you from winning or from having fun :thumbsup:
What am I saying, I sound like politician!

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted January 26, 2006 - 03:49 PM

Last? That's pretty cold, man. I'm a little surprised at that. What did they attribute that ranking to? Power band too "old school" or something?

I havn't gotten my MXA in the mail yet...but the problem area is the rear shock. It's Atrocious. However, one Dirt Rider tester said that the KX450F suspension (fork and shock) were the best he'd ever ridden...while MXA says its one of the worst. Go figure.

• grayracer513

Posted January 26, 2006 - 04:10 PM

I do recall that in their test of the KXF they did say that they didn't like the shock, now that I think of it, but I don't remember it being "atrocious". Sub-par, at least within the class they're in, maybe. We shall see what's in the write up.

As for DR not even mentioning it, they could have ended up with a different test bike with a differently set up shock. Maybe someone had already spent hours getting it to work as well as they could get it, and it seemed OK to them. Whatever. Their credibility has been next to non-existent with me for a long time, and even more so since their classic '05 250F shootout. Remember? "Well, the YZF was actually faster and quicker and cornered better and turned lower lap times, but we felt faster on the CRF, so we declared it the winner in spite of the hard data". Paraphrased, but not by much.

My absolute favorite.

• VETMX808

Posted January 26, 2006 - 05:16 PM

I do recall that in their test of the KXF they did say that they didn't like the shock, now that I think of it, but I don't remember it being "atrocious". Sub-par, at least within the class they're in, maybe. We shall see what's in the write up.

The one thing that actually bothered me about the review, is actually comparing it with the "dual shocks" of the past. I mean honestly, I think that is a bit extreme!

To say that about ANY bike, would prove how unrealistic alot of these reviews actually are... :thumbsup:

• yz_for_me

Posted January 27, 2006 - 09:34 PM

The '06 is NOT weak, not in any way. Read Burned's comments and Look at the Dyno Chart he got from an '06 YZ450F (red line) and an '06 CRF450 (blue line). (both bikes jetted for the altitude) They are a mirror of each other. The YZ450 is sneaky smooth this year. If you run it in a straight line, it doesn't impress you that much as being particularly fast, but then you ask, "Was this trail always this narrow?" and, "How did I get here so soon?". It's power that doesn't require as much management to put into use as the early ones do, and makes the bike easier to ride. The one I rode went at least side by side with everything that was on the track with me.

And you're right about the whole perception thing regarding the power output. I remember clearly when the YZ450 was introduced. Nearly everyone slammed it for being the second coming of the CR500. "Too aggressive", "a pure race bike", "only serious racers" would want it, they said. "More than any mere mortal can handle". (at the time when I first rode one, I had a CR500, and after riding the YZF, I couldn't really understand what all the fuss was about). The 4 speed was also slammed as a "racers only" thing, and these two digs on the bike are responsible for the soft sales Yamaha had with it.

And yet, each time Yamaha has tried to soften the engine a little to make it more like the CRF, they were criticized. When Honda added more snap, they were praised. Now that the two engines produce the same power, people are still trying to say there's something wrong with the Yamaha. Not only that, some people who complained about the 4 speed are now hailing the RMZ and KXF models for having one, and criticizing the YZ for going back to a 5. But there's no prejudice, no.

Excellent points gray. I've been thinking the exact same thing.

As far as the magazines ranking these bikes all over the map is concerned, I think it's just a sign of how close all the bikes are this year. What does it tell you when you have 4 different groups of test riders and each group ranks them differently? To me it says all of this year's bikes are damn good. The differences or "issues" each bike has are so small that in reality they are pretty insignificant. Trouble is that doesn't make a very interesting shootout, so the rags make a big deal out of every little thing just so they have something to print.

• mxmark

Posted January 27, 2006 - 10:03 PM

MXA Called it #1

• MichiganMXer

Posted January 29, 2006 - 08:28 AM

The reason why the YZ got last in the Dirt Rider Shootout is because of some guy named Cameron Heisser gave the Yz a 79 out of 100. :thumbsup: The fool gave the Honda a 98 out of 100. Come on, there is not that big of a difference between the two is there?

I emailed DR and requested the ******* get fired for letting his bias for the Honda scew the 450 shootout results. The guy races a Honda.

• kpflyingv

Posted January 30, 2006 - 04:01 PM

My 06 LE is the best MX bike I have ever ridden. I've ridden all of them and they are all good, but after a few basic tweaks, my YZ is the best I've ever laid a leg over. The key to power is not the hit, but the breadth of the pull and this is where the bike shines. It feels like a 250 in weight. raise the forks to the first line, put in an air screw adjuster, a Boyeson quick shot and ride. I haven't even changed tires yet. I've been lucky enough to ride everything from Maicos to TMs to all the Japanese stuff, but if I had only one bike to ride, the 06YZ is the one.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.