Just been a reader.... need some help now!

9 replies to this topic
  • vega25

Posted January 25, 2006 - 07:06 PM

First of all you guys have been great! I learned alot from this site. I recently did the Dave's Mods and it was nothing that threw me off the back of the bike or anything...but have noticed the bike runs really smooth now...NO MORE BACKFIRING.

I do alot of off road riding and my buddies have noticed that when I get into the gas white smoke comes out the exhaust. This has been going on for some time...has gotten a little worst. I've been told the likely cause is a blown ring(what ever that means). Here is what I'm thinking I might do....give me your imput.

The BRP(learned that from this site) 2003 XR650L 3,400 miles. First off- road bike for a 38 year old rider. Has been great...gets rid of stress.

1. Just replace rings. (is this a do-it-yourself job?)

2. Send the head to Thumper Racing for the 675 cc upgrade?

I ride with a guy who has a SXC 625....Wow..what throttle response. A last note.. I go everywhere he goes on that KTM and I don't care if my bike goes 100 mph or not I want low end grunt...HOW CAN I GET IT OUT OF THE BRP?

• chicagobikefan

Posted January 25, 2006 - 07:44 PM

The "ring" is the piston ring. The piston goes up and down in the engine. The piston ring(s) cause a tight seal and prevent the combustion gases from blowing past the piston, and other things. Here's a good link to see pics:

http://www.reycomoto...or/Segment2.htm

• Thumpmeister

Posted January 25, 2006 - 07:49 PM

Well, to do a top-end job (rebuild, in your case), it takes some know-how, but it can be done; I did mine last summer on my R.
No offence intended, but it sounds like you have a limited amount of knowledge when it comes to how a 4-stroke works. If you know how one works, then ignore this link, but if your at all curious, check it out; its really good.

http://auto.howstuff...com/engine7.htm

• ghoti

Posted January 26, 2006 - 08:25 AM

First of all you guys have been great! I learned alot from this site. I recently did the Dave's Mods and it was nothing that threw me off the back of the bike or anything...but have noticed the bike runs really smooth now...NO MORE BACKFIRING.

I do alot of off road riding and my buddies have noticed that when I get into the gas white smoke comes out the exhaust. This has been going on for some time...has gotten a little worst. I've been told the likely cause is a blown ring(what ever that means). Here is what I'm thinking I might do....give me your imput.

The BRP(learned that from this site) 2003 XR650L 3,400 miles. First off- road bike for a 38 year old rider. Has been great...gets rid of stress.

1. Just replace rings. (is this a do-it-yourself job?)

2. Send the head to Thumper Racing for the 675 cc upgrade?

I ride with a guy who has a SXC 625....Wow..what throttle response. A last note.. I go everywhere he goes on that KTM and I don't care if my bike goes 100 mph or not I want low end grunt...HOW CAN I GET IT OUT OF THE BRP?

That's very low milege to need a rebuild. I'd say change the oil making sure you put in the proper amount and ride it. Check oil level after every ride under the sam parameters, ie. same engine temp, same amount of time after shutdown to level check.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted January 26, 2006 - 08:59 AM

Also, if it was cold out, it could have been condensation.
Or possiblky there's oil in the airbox that is getting ingested when you crank it open.

Dave

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • roadcam

Posted January 26, 2006 - 09:14 AM

be sure you are checking your oil correctly, and not over-filling it ... these dry-sump engines have a peculiar way of checking oil level ... read your manual carefully :thumbsup:

• rkuckkahn

Posted January 26, 2006 - 10:56 AM

With your age (bike that is) your rings should be ok. Another source of smoke that I'm familiar with is an overly rich fuel condition (too much fuel for the air going through the engine). If you pull your spark plug and it's black/wet then you're likely too rich. The only other thing I've heard generating smoke was that valves were way out of adjustment(actually it was worn rocker arms and cam). You'd hear a clicking sound if they're too loose which is normally the problem (too tight is rare), adjustment is not too hard but you need some skill with the "wrench". New machines normally need the valves adjust (or at least looked at)after a few thousand miles then they're ok for longer periods.

You're not mixing oil (or anything else) with the gas are you......it's not a two smoker....LOL just kidding.

• goblin127

Posted January 26, 2006 - 09:16 PM

be sure you are checking your oil correctly, and not over-filling it ... these dry-sump engines have a peculiar way of checking oil level ... read your manual carefully :thumbsup:

this is where I would look first.

• Hayden

Posted January 26, 2006 - 09:57 PM

Man if it is smoking at 3400 miles, thats not good. He may have run it low on oil, like other here have said, check it often. This is an air cooled motor so it WILL burn oil for some time if not always. I would say change the oil and check the valves/adjust and go from there. If it is still bad, do a check and see how much it is burning in a given milage. IE a quart every 500 miles, 1000 etc. You could get away with honeing the cylinder and re ringing the thing and see what that gets ya. BUT 3400 miles........ its not even broke in yet.

Hayden.

• OThumper

Posted January 28, 2006 - 08:35 PM

I thought ring smoke is blue -oil blue, black gas ride the sucker & keep doing what your doing like being in front

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.