Zongshen Engine

10 replies to this topic
  • OUmx151

Posted January 25, 2006 - 06:22 PM

I am very interested in the Zongshen 124. I have read as much of the "Chinese Engine" threads as I can and it seems to have a decent reputation. I heard the engine is bigger than the stock engine, how much so and in what areas? Is it big enough to interfere with cornering?(will I be dragging cases in the corners?) What are the differences between the Zongshen transmission and the Honda's? How bad is it?

I will be primarily using this engine for MX racing. My goal is to be able to have both a race bike(Zongshen 124) and a wheelie bike(stock engine) in one. Ideally, I would like to have a stock wheelie bike and a $10,000 race bike, but most of us just aren't that lucky! Final question, how long does the engine swap take? Is it realistic to think that I can swap them back and forth from time to time?

Thanks for your help!

• Kx250FRiDeR651

Posted January 25, 2006 - 06:41 PM

how much can u get one for?...i see them on ebay for around 600 bucks, if u see the mfor any cheaper its probably a fake...you can search around and find ppl selling used stock xr50 motors for cheap...i picked one up for 300$ from a guy on planet minis and it looked brand new, than put a TB race head 88 kit in it...spent almost the same amount as what a new china motor would cost and its 1000x's reliable and much faster...if u must go the route to buy a knock off motor get a GPX..tbolt sells em for $499 and ive rode with guys who race and ride every weekend for the past year with no problems

if u know what ur doing an engine swap should only take like 30 mins (thats how long it too kme to swap out my sdg motor with my crf50 motor)...just a matter of 2 bolts and hooking up the carb and wires

• slopoke

Posted January 25, 2006 - 11:09 PM

eh, i''ve got this done to mine
124 zongshen motor 395 shipped
kitaco inner rotor 279 (i bought mine used for 175)
ported & polished head
56mm piston bored
true 24mm mikuni carb...the one mine came with was pretty restriced in the middle....it's a good motor, the only downside to mine is that has the clutch on the crank...i'd try to get one with the clutch on the primary, but it's not a total killer..it'll run with a 13x drz if you've got two kids that weigh the same on the bike....

• qwoke-q

Posted January 26, 2006 - 05:16 AM

You've heard that they're bigger? Duh! The engine is 124 cc! It's more than twice the size of stock[EDITED]! So, I don't think you'll be dragging cases. And also, the Zongshen isn't going to last a week for jumping anything over a foot.

• CRFThumper

Posted January 26, 2006 - 05:23 AM

You've heard that they're bigger? Duh! The engine is 124 cc! It's more than twice the size of stock[EDITED]! So, I don't think you'll be dragging cases. And also, the Zongshen isn't going to last a week for jumping anything over a foot.

NICE!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • OUmx151

Posted January 26, 2006 - 06:37 AM

I meant bigger EXTERNALLY! And why would an engine last forever beating on it on flat ground, but die in a week if you jump it???

• Trail Punisher

Posted January 26, 2006 - 10:40 AM

I have installed a Z-108 on a 2002 XR-70 and a Z-124 on a 2005 CRF-70
http://pg.photos.yah...acing/my_photos
I have almost 600 miles on one of these motors on a CT-70 replica that gets ridden full maximum sustained throttle on the road and its held up fine so far.

• Trail Punisher

Posted January 26, 2006 - 10:41 AM

OUmx151 what part of Ohio are you from? Just wondering.

• OUmx151

Posted January 26, 2006 - 01:43 PM

C-Bus, you?

So everything is cool with the Zongshen you have? Good power? Pretty basic installation? I dont want something that is going to be a weekend project just to swap back and forth.

Also, how does it run using the stock pipe? I read that these engines get real hot if you run the stock pipe.

• Trail Punisher

Posted January 26, 2006 - 03:45 PM

I used the stator and flywheel off the XR-70 engine on my 108cc Zongshen and used all the original componets on the xr-70 bike except the bigger carb and throtthe cable that came with my motor.
I used all componets that came with the 124cc motor on the CRF bike because it was a rolling chassis only with no electricals.
I rode the XR 40+ miles in one afternoon on the Wayne national trails in Nelsonville with the stock pipe and airbox and it never got hot. The CT-125 never gets hot either riding on the road. Touch the pipe and youll get burned just like any bike though.
The installation is quite easy.Using the original throttle cable is the only big obstacle.

• OUmx151

Posted January 26, 2006 - 04:26 PM

cool, thanks

Related Content

Reviews

Honda CRF50F 2009 by ThumperTalk

Honda CRF50F 2009
  • 1 review
  • Last review by buddha43
  • On February 03, 2014
Reviews

Honda CRF50F 2012 by ThumperTalk

Honda CRF50F 2012
  • 1 review
  • Last review by skooli
  • On June 08, 2014
Reviews

Honda CRF50F 2007 by ThumperTalk

Honda CRF50F 2007
  • 4 reviews
  • Last review by Alabama
  • On June 29, 2014
Forums
Photo

Pit bike in the making... by the-new-kid

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pit Bikes
  • 3 replies
Reviews

Honda CRF50F 2015 by Bryan Bosch

Honda CRF50F 2015
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.