Has anyone converted from a < 2002 (400,426) body style to the > 2003 (450) ?

9 replies to this topic
  • jecsr

Posted January 25, 2006 - 05:18 PM

Just curios what all it would take to be able to use the newer plastics and would the 03 subframe, airbox, seat, tank mount on a 2001 426 frame.

• Satch0922

Posted January 25, 2006 - 05:33 PM

Why certainly :thumbsup:

450 Plastic on a YZ426

• myoung

Posted January 25, 2006 - 05:48 PM

It's all in that thread, lots of info. :thumbsup:

• TeamScream

Posted January 25, 2006 - 06:17 PM

Just curios what all it would take to be able to use the newer plastics and would the 03 subframe, airbox, seat, tank mount on a 2001 426 frame.

The million dollar question is are you going to strip the bike down to the frame and redo everything or are you just going to put new plastics on it?
If you are going to paint/powder coat the frame then there is a little nicer way to do it with a permanent mount for the gas tank instead of a bracket.
I am in the process of doing it to my 426 and taking pictures every step of the way for a nice write up.

• jecsr

Posted January 25, 2006 - 07:48 PM

Thanks fot the link to a great thread :thumbsup:
Teamscream, I cant wait to see yours.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TeamScream

Posted January 25, 2006 - 09:30 PM

Thanks fot the link to a great thread :bonk:
Teamscream, I cant wait to see yours.

Here is the frame and swingarm with the rear wheel test mounted in place.
You can see in the picture where my finger is pointing that I welded a bung on each side of the frame in that location to accept the stock 03-05 YZF tank mount bolts.
Posted Image
Posted Image

I really wanted it to be secure and also wanted it to look like it was built that way and not just sort of half assed.
Anyway you do it it is going to look bitchen when you are done but I love my toys and I like them to look badass, plus I absolutely love to tinker with stuff.
Just wait man I am getting excited as my engine should be done by Friday, and my graphics may be done by then as well so I can start putting it together next week (I am racing this weekend so I wont be able to touch it), the litst of trickness is never ending.
I am going for that "sexiest WR" title over in the WR forum. lol
:thumbsup:

• Satch0922

Posted January 26, 2006 - 05:31 AM

also wanted it to look like it was built that way and not just sort of half assed.
:

Gee...thanks....

My thread is now approaching 2 years old...no failures and although I do not have the bike any longer....I do know the owner and keep tabs on it.

BTW..the who powdercoating of frames , for motocross anyway, is a waste of time and money. Did my complete resto on my 1982 and guess what....the paint still wears off the frame.

Good luck with your resto though!

• TeamScream

Posted January 26, 2006 - 07:49 AM

Oh my god Satch,
I am so sorry brother, I did not mean for that post to disrespect your method at all, your method is perfect, and works perfect and looks great brother, I am really sorry that it came off that way, What I meant was that I did not want MY way of doing it to come out half assed so thats why I did it the way I did.
I am sorry that it came across the way it did Satch....please forgive me.
And I agree that powder coating wears off also, but this bike is strictly street.
It will never see the dirt, I am building it for pure hooliganism around town.
My powder coating company did the frame in 2 stages, and applied a special coating of some kind below the top coat on the down tube and the cradle underneath the engine to hopefully keep it from rock chips for a little longer.
I will post pics when its all done.
Sorry again Satch, it was YOUR method that convinced me that this could be done in the first place so ALL of the props go to you bro...I just figured since the bike was apart down to the frame that I would fabricate threaded bungs to look like an extension of the engine mount points and I did not want that to look half assed so I took the time to do it ....geeez I feel like shit now after re-reading my post. SORY SORRY SORRY bro. :thumbsup: :bonk:

• Satch0922

Posted January 26, 2006 - 08:43 AM

Man it's all good!!! I was trying to be "tongue in cheek" with my response. I am not offended at all. :thumbsup:

Sorry if it came across that way. I just wanted to add that the bracket method (if welded and painted) is durable and is an option. Your set up is pretty dang snazzy I admit! :bonk:

• myoung

Posted January 26, 2006 - 08:48 PM

It's all good TeamScream, you have a pretty good looking set-up there.

Here's how mine turned out, hopefully not too half assed. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sorry about the size, can't seem to resize them at the host site. :bonk:

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.