clutch adjustment problems on my 01 426

13 replies to this topic
  • jamieyz426f01

Posted January 25, 2006 - 03:00 PM

Hey all, right heres my problem i ordered a new cable from my local dealer because my old one was worn, when i put it on and tried to get the right amount of freeplay i had to have the crankcase adjuster fully out and the perch adjuster fully out :bonk:

Now I'm thinking this isn't right and was wondering if there is another way to adjust internally or if they could have just sent me the wrong cable :thumbsup:

BTW i just put new plates and springs in.

• jamieyz426f01

Posted January 28, 2006 - 01:22 PM

Anyone!?! iv got another new cable and a new friggin perch and still way too much adjustment!

• TeamScream

Posted January 28, 2006 - 01:49 PM

Did you by any chance loose the little ball bearing in the clutch actuator when you took the clutch apart?
Did you take the entire clutch out when you serviced the clutch?
Inside the clutch assembly there is a little device (called push rod 2) with a hole in the backside of it that the clutch push rod (push rod 1) fits into, well inside that hole there is supposed to be a ball bearing, and sometimes when you take the clutch apart that bearing can fall out and you may not even notice it.

go to the Yamaha Parts Fische HERE and select the 2001 YZ426 from the pull down menu's then select the "clutch" from the menus on the left side, then look at parts 17,18,19,20,21,22 and you will see what im talking about.
part 21 is the ball bearing im talking about, if that is missing the clutch will still actuate but you will have to adjust everything out to the limits like you are describing.
Maybe this is it?
Let us know.

• jamieyz426f01

Posted January 28, 2006 - 01:57 PM

i only took the pressure plate off to do the plates and there was a ball bearing "in" the pressure plate(is that the one you mean?) i have double checked that tonight and its definately there.

it has been like this before I even touched the clutch thats the reason i serviced it because i thought the plates were worn.
:thumbsup: :bonk: :thumbsup: :worthy: :eek: :p

• TeamScream

Posted January 28, 2006 - 02:07 PM

That is the one im talking about, but it is not a part of the pressure plate, it actuates the pressure plate did you order the cable from a Yamaha dealer?
Was the cable the correct part number?
did you verify that by going to the Yamaha parts fische yourself?
What lever/perch are you using? maybe the lever does not have enough pull?
If all of the parts are in the proper order and everything is new, the only thing i can think of is an incorrect cable or lever/perch.

• jamieyz426f01

Posted January 28, 2006 - 02:18 PM

Exactly what im thinking what else can it be!, brand new apico clutch perch and lever, brand new apico cable(exactly the same as the yamaha one)

i know what you mean about the ball bearing it was just sitting in the pressure plate.

Are they supposed to be like this? Id like to have a bit of adjustment!

• jamieyz426f01

Posted January 29, 2006 - 08:42 AM

Im gonna just have to make a spacer to go between the cable and the perch to give me my adjustment.

It still works fine just a little wierd.

thanks for your input Team Scream :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fastest1

Posted January 29, 2006 - 09:04 AM

Sounds like the wrong pushrod is in there. The 00 model was longer I think. That would make for less adjustment to be needed. Is there a spacer/bearing on the pushrod where it meets the pressure plate? I am not referring to the single ball bearing. On 2000 models mod were done to remedy clutch chatter. The are very little differences in some of the parts, but that little bit is what you need.

• jamieyz426f01

Posted January 29, 2006 - 11:33 AM

Sounds like the wrong pushrod is in there. The 00 model was longer I think. That would make for less adjustment to be needed. Is there a spacer/bearing on the pushrod where it meets the pressure plate? I am not referring to the single ball bearing. On 2000 models mod were done to remedy clutch chatter. The are very little differences in some of the parts, but that little bit is what you need.

It still doesn't make any sense becuase it has been like this before i done the clutch and pushrod 1 felt tight in the pressure plate so the spacings must be correct.

• jamieyz426f01

Posted January 30, 2006 - 11:49 AM

Never mind!
It is all dandy now, i made a little spacer to go between the cable and the perch and hoorah a quarter showing at the crankcase and near full adjustment at the top :thumbsup: .

The clutch actually works fine it was just the adjustment problem, to think it was that simple :thumbsup: :bonk:

• Fastest1

Posted January 30, 2006 - 09:27 PM

If you had to make some nifty little part to make the stock clutch adjust correctly, all is not well.

• sirthumpalot

Posted January 31, 2006 - 03:47 AM

If you had to make some nifty little part to make the stock clutch adjust correctly, all is not well.

Ditto! I would definitely find out why it doesn't work correctly and fix it before riding it, else you're just asking for problems down the road.

• MotoGoalie

Posted January 31, 2006 - 09:57 AM

Exactly what im thinking what else can it be!, brand new apico clutch perch and lever, brand new apico cable(exactly the same as the yamaha one)

i know what you mean about the ball bearing it was just sitting in the pressure plate.

Are they supposed to be like this? Id like to have a bit of adjustment!

Did you use Yamaha clutch plates, OEM or some aftermarket plates? I've seen several sets of Barnetts that when changed out, they created a situation where there was no adjustment at all for the clutch freeplay.

• jamieyz426f01

Posted January 31, 2006 - 01:05 PM

i used ebc plates and springs and it has been like it BEFORE i changed them and ever since i have had the bike(with the stock plates in), from what i know there is nothing wrong as i have been riding it like it for 2 years now.

If someone comes up with a valid explanation as to why it is, like it is then i will fix it untill then im gonna have to live with it.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.