How does the 06YZ handle compared to the CRF?

8 replies to this topic
  • kincade

Posted January 25, 2006 - 01:58 PM

I've been strongly considering selling my 05 WR450 with 11 hours and picking up a different bike... Last weekend I rode an 05 CRF450 and was AMAZED on how well it handled compared to my WR; it cornered like it was on rails, felt like a 125 underneath me, felt like it was 50# lighter, and had great power! But I'll be danged if I'm going to deal with the valve issues that he and other CRF owners are dealing with...

SO; have any of you RIDDEN both the CRF and the 06 YZ/f? Does the 06 YZF actually handle better than the 05s?

I don't put a lot of stock into the magazine articles; and it just seems impossible to figure out what the bike is REALLY like from them.

TIA,

-k

• Ga426owner

Posted January 25, 2006 - 02:25 PM

I've been strongly considering selling my 05 WR450 with 11 hours and picking up a different bike... Last weekend I rode an 05 CRF450 and was AMAZED on how well it handled compared to my WR; it cornered like it was on rails, felt like a 125 underneath me, felt like it was 50# lighter, and had great power! But I'll be danged if I'm going to deal with the valve issues that he and other CRF owners are dealing with...

SO; have any of you RIDDEN both the CRF and the 06 YZ/f? Does the 06 YZF actually handle better than the 05s?

I don't put a lot of stock into the magazine articles; and it just seems impossible to figure out what the bike is REALLY like from them.

TIA,

-k

Hey not to be mean...but any MX Bike 2002 -2006 handles better than a WR. I had 2 of them...and they are heavy heavy heavy.....heck the darn gas tank is like a pregnant pig....if you liked the 05 CRF you will love every 06 MX out there....they are all that much better. :thumbsup:

• ktmike

Posted January 25, 2006 - 02:50 PM

Hey kincade, we were just talking about this over in the pictures and videos forum. I have an 05 CRF and an 06 YZF. To summarize, the YZF feels smoother, a little smaller, and a little lighter. It also turns better once you have it set up. The CRF has a harder hit and better brakes in my opinion. Either bike is going to be a step up in handling for you coming off of a WR. In my opinion there is not near as much difference as the mags want you to believe. If you have the cash, go for the 06 YZF, if not, you will be very happy with an 05 CRF. To see the rest of our discussion go to the "pictures and video" forum and click on "Breaking in 06YZ450F" or something like that. Just get either one of them and RIDE.

• RAMARION

Posted January 25, 2006 - 05:17 PM

Hey kincade, we were just talking about this over in the pictures and videos forum. I have an 05 CRF and an 06 YZF. To summarize, the YZF feels smoother, a little smaller, and a little lighter. It also turns better once you have it set up. The CRF has a harder hit and better brakes in my opinion. Either bike is going to be a step up in handling for you coming off of a WR. In my opinion there is not near as much difference as the mags want you to believe. If you have the cash, go for the 06 YZF, if not, you will be very happy with an 05 CRF. To see the rest of our discussion go to the "pictures and video" forum and click on "Breaking in 06YZ450F" or something like that. Just get either one of them and RIDE.

DITTO!!!!!!!!!!!

I sold my 05 CRF450, could never get it to feel GREAT????????? :bonk:

2006 YZF 450 Ist ride perfect for me................THIS BIKE WAS DESIGNED FOR ME!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

You???????????????????? sorry can't answer that.

IMO, all 2006 450 KICK AZZ :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gdbarr1976

Posted January 25, 2006 - 08:38 PM

I have a o5 yz450f and a 06 yz450f. The 05 is a good bike. The 06 is a GREAT bike. Raise the forks, set the sag and you are set!

• Dolce_Grappa

Posted January 25, 2006 - 10:36 PM

Glad all of you 06' riders are posting how well your liking your YZ's. I'm trying to figure out which color i want green, blue, or yellow x2. I'm currently riding a 04 YZ450.

• sbrown

Posted January 26, 2006 - 10:02 AM

I just bought a Yellow 06 yz 450 and still own the 04 YZ450. The 06 is night and day better handling and I feel the motor is easier to ride and just as fast as the initially awesome 04 motor. I think you cant go wrong with the 06 Yamama. But to be fair, if you can, beg , borrow or steal a ride from someone who has the Yamaha, a Honda , A Kawasaki or a Suzuki and make your own comparison. Unfortunately, that's pretty hard to do. I was lucky enough to meet a guy who had just purchased a new 06 Blue Yamaha 450 and he offered to let me have a ride on it at a local track we were at. It
was fantastic. I then rode my trusty 04 YZ 450 and it felt top heavy and old school compared to the ultra smooth and modern feeling 06.

• kincade

Posted January 26, 2006 - 10:55 AM

GA426; I'm agreed with you; the WR carries a lot more weight and it shows. But this CRF felt 100# lighter when riding it; not just the 20# or so it was. And it TURNED when you wanted it to! Note as well that I have an 05 WR; which is worlds better than the 04 and earlier.

KTmike; although the CRF felt well, I don't EVER want to deal with the valve issues that my friend has had with his CRF's. To be honest, I couldn't believe he bought another! I'll check out your other post, good info!

GDbarr; could you elaborate on the differences you perceive between the 05 and 06? I'm very interested in your impressions.

Sbrown; great information. Is there anything you like better about the 04? Or is the 06 better in every way? How about the transmission? Do you prefer the 5 speed?

• sbrown

Posted January 26, 2006 - 11:36 AM

I almost feel bad concerning my 04 450 YZ. Like a faithful dog, it never broke down and didnt even need the valves adjusted and then only one valve at 60 hrs of mostly racing and practice. That bike enabled me to win 2 state championships (VET 40+ Novice and the 40+ Intermediate, BTW im 51 yrs old.). I just raced the new bike (the 06) and it is better in every way. The only slight adjustment for me was that you need to shift a little more with the 06 than the 4 spd 04. I adjusted within minutes and the 04 will go on sale soon as I pretty it up with new fenders and graphics.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.