06 450 finished last in the Dirt Rider MX shootout

24 replies to this topic
  • jason07

Posted January 24, 2006 - 02:38 PM

Actually it tied 3rd with the Suzuki and KTM although it did get the least percentage of the votes. Why is this? I don't own one nor have I ever ridden one, but I do sell them at the shop I work at. Naturally I am concerned. It seems the biggest item that the testers griped about was the handling. I believe they said that it wants to wash out in turns. Is this true? I am looking at buying one and was just curious if this was true or not.

• mxmob33

Posted January 24, 2006 - 02:48 PM

The 'washing out in turns' is mostly due to the crappy front tire that comes stock on it. Once the bike is jetted, and set up properly, it is near flawless.

• debounce

Posted January 24, 2006 - 02:56 PM

They complained about the handling, but didn't once try to fix it. In every one of their pics the forks are slid all the way down in the triple clamps. If they would have gotten risers, slid the forks up, and maybe get a new front tire, the bike would have handled like a CRF250. Plus Yamaha doesn't pay them enough to get 1st place.

• Yamaman2007

Posted January 24, 2006 - 03:01 PM

They complained about the handling, but didn't once try to fix it. In every one of their pics the forks are slid all the way down in the triple clamps. If they would have gotten risers, slid the forks up, and maybe get a new front tire, the bike would have handled like a CRF250. Plus Yamaha doesn't pay them enough to get 1st place.

DIDO,
higher handlebars, raise the forks, and new front tire is all you need. (and me im adding my trusty renthal halfwaffle grips)

• N_Boyd

Posted January 24, 2006 - 03:47 PM

Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place, but I cant fine were to get bar risers for my 06' :thumbsup: . Where are yall getting them at?

• saccityfire

Posted January 24, 2006 - 04:34 PM

Higher bend to the bars. Also the Bridgestone 401/402's are excellent tires and this solves the problem. Also check out the shootout results in MXA, Dirtbike, Transworld MX etc for a more rounded view.

• grayracer513

Posted January 24, 2006 - 05:03 PM

They complained about the handling, but didn't once try to fix it. In every one of their pics the forks are slid all the way down in the triple clamps.

Coming from Dirt Rider, a last place finish is almost a compliment.

The first point here illustrates perfectly why I like MXA. They will at least try the usual tuning and tweaks that ordinary people can and usually do to a bike once they get it, such as gearing, suspension adjustments, even alternate bars, and report the results. On the KTM's that come with two available stem positions, they try both. Not a simple job. With DR, you're lucky if they turn the clickers.

On the second point, I'd like the owner of an '06 to verify what another TT member said, which is that the manual calls out the first scribed line on the fork tube as the standard position. True or not? (I have no reason to doubt what that other member said, but people make mistakes) If that is the case, then they were riding a motorcycle that was not properly prepared, and there is no excuse for that. From everything I've seen, and the ride I took on one for myself, with a decent tire and the forks where they belong, the bike will turn inside of a 125. You can make it push, if you crank on it hard enough, but it ain't like mine was before the triple clamps, either.

Still, I'm not surprised in the least. In fact, I had $20 down in a pool that said they would pick the Honda again, no matter what.

• RCannon

Posted January 24, 2006 - 05:55 PM

I would love to see the ratings if DR had to buy them, own them , and maintain them for a year. They would need to use their own money for repairs..

• debounce

Posted January 24, 2006 - 05:56 PM

Coming from Dirt Rider, a last place finish is almost a compliment.

The first point here illustrates perfectly why I like MXA. They will at least try the usual tuning and tweaks that ordinary people can and usually do to a bike once they get it, such as gearing, suspension adjustments, even alternate bars, and report the results. On the KTM's that come with two available stem positions, they try both. Not a simple job. With DR, you're lucky if they turn the clickers.

On the second point, I'd like the owner of an '06 to verify what another TT member said, which is that the manual calls out the first scribed line on the fork tube as the standard position. True or not? (I have no reason to doubt what that other member said, but people make mistakes) If that is the case, then they were riding a motorcycle that was not properly prepared, and there is no excuse for that. From everything I've seen, and the ride I took on one for myself, with a decent tire and the forks where they belong, the bike will turn inside of a 125. You can make it push, if you crank on it hard enough, but it ain't like mine was before the triple clamps, either.

Still, I'm not surprised in the least. In fact, I had $20 down in a pool that said they would pick the Honda again, no matter what.

Yea, all of the magazines but MXA are way too nice with their reviews.

I don't see anything about the line being the standard, and all of the new 450s are shipped with the forks slid all the way down in the triple clamps, plus all of the pics in the manula have the forks slid up.

My 06 YZ450 handles just like my 04 CRF250, but feels a little more cramped.

• RAMARION

Posted January 24, 2006 - 08:14 PM

On the second point, I'd like the owner of an '06 to verify what another TT member said, which is that the manual calls out the first scribed line on the fork tube as the standard position. True or not? (I have no reason to doubt what that other member said, but people make mistakes) If that is the case, then they were riding a motorcycle that was not properly prepared, and there is no excuse for that. .

I can't find that quote or information.................

but, thats rider preferance.............it's adjusted, just like bars, clickers, controls etc............

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • zcookie49

Posted January 24, 2006 - 08:48 PM

Someone earlier mentioned about the bar mount risers. I read that today in a mag, they state to get higher bend bars or 10mm risers. I guess I will call the shop tomorrow to look for them. Will let you know if I find out anything.

• DGIRT

Posted January 25, 2006 - 03:54 AM

Maybe it's the way I ride, but I don't seem to have the front end washing out on me at all. The forks are down on the first line.
I rode at an indoor track on the other day and the corner were getting slicker as the day went on and never felt I had any problems with the handling.
As a matter of fact the faster I went the better it stuck to the ground.
I read DR mag review. The impression I get from them is They have they're favorites and any thing after the Honda is a wash.
All my buddys that have rode my bike is in shock as to how good it is and two of them have new Kaws & Hondas.

• MotoGoalie

Posted January 25, 2006 - 07:31 AM

Dirt Rider magazine....."Cannondale is the bike of the decade".

Very trustworthy. :bonk:

does MOTOMOUTH and the rest of the KXF clones know about this? :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted January 25, 2006 - 07:39 AM

I can't find that quote or information.................

Well, at least that's cleared up. But it still puts the ignorance and laziness of the test staff on display. I suppose there is some merit to evaluating a bike just as it is delivered, even though only maybe half of all buyers would leave them that way. But it's a lot more helpful to potential purchasers to know that some things are easy to correct, and what the bike is like once that's done.

• DPW

Posted January 25, 2006 - 08:20 AM

On the second point, I'd like the owner of an '06 to verify what another TT member said, which is that the manual calls out the first scribed line on the fork tube as the standard position. True or not? .

I don't have the manual in front of me to verify what it calls for, but when I recieved my bike the forks caps were level with the top of the triple clamps not the fork.

• Ga426owner

Posted January 25, 2006 - 02:31 PM

Dirt Rider magazine....."Cannondale is the bike of the decade".

Very trustworthy. :bonk:

does MOTOMOUTH and the rest of the KXF clones know about this? :thumbsup:

I Totally agree!
My 2cents from the KXF Forum........on this DirtRider excuse me HondaRider Mag test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas30
HondaRider Magazine sux?????

I fail to see your logic..............don't get so defensive...

I will not get defensive Tex30. So you don't see my logic? What red rock are you smokin? DirtRider for years has always been "HondaRider magazine" Honda this, Honda that....the best bike regardless, the 2nd coming, the bike that will cause world peace........blah blah blah .........Dirt Rider has been Honda biased for years buddy.........and yes I used to be a HondaRider
on another note: But related to the quality of DirtRider Mag... who remembers DirtRider's proclamation that the Cannondale450 is the "Bike of the Year" when it was not for sale, delayed a year and then recalled.....only to be dissolved indefinitely...I felt so sorry for the poor bastards that bought one....for way too much money
What was the dirtRider staff thinking on that one If only a CRF was available that year...it would have been king

• Blutarsky

Posted January 25, 2006 - 04:21 PM

Compare their test to the Dirt Bike test. Dirt Bike does not allow the mfgs to come lord over the test days. DB spends a month or more riding all the bikes in varying conditions. They don't go ride all the bikes at the same time...because its hard to really ride any one bike well jumping from one to the other.

The lead editorial in this months DB is a nice discussion about their test methods....

How did Dirt Bike rate the Yam 450?
Forks - Best
Shock - Best
Light Weight Feel - Best (even though it is actually the heaviest of the 5)
Stability - Best
Turning - 4th. It is not bad...and once you get the bike set into a turn, it is excellent according to DB. It simply is not as nimble as some other bikes getting into a turn. Those more nimble bikes are at the bottom of the stability list...some features are simply exclusive of each other. Yamaha has always been know to err on the side of stability.
Motor - 'Feels' a notch below simply because it is tuned to have no hit...it is very smooth across the board.

Overall - 2nd. Honda was first only because the motor had a little stronger hit...and it turned every so slightly faster times... If the Yamaha had a tad more juice...it would have been #1.... Kawi was third because of the 4 speed and the lame rear linkage rates. I think KTM was 4th...again due to suspension that was not well behaved in fast rought stuff. Suzuki...last years #2...was 5th! That shows how good all these bikes are...

• TX-SANDMAN

Posted January 25, 2006 - 05:08 PM

This is a real wake up call to let us all see how politics is now in (and has been) in motorcycle testing too. Lets see Dirt Riders loves the YZ250 two stroke and hates the CR250 two stroke. Well on the 450 test lets set things get just a bit different on the bikes and Wohlaa! Now the YZF gets a licking and we can put Honda back on top.

Secondly. They could not even say what they did not like about the YZF. Ummmm "it seems to not steer well in ruts". What bike does? The new editor is definitely getting some side red perks.

Thirdly. For being the largest off road pub and the most awaited shootout, don't you think they would have had a more thorough test. It was a total of 5 written pages. DB's was also 5, but they still a separate test of each bike.

• RAMARION

Posted January 25, 2006 - 05:11 PM

Well, at least that's cleared up. But it still puts the ignorance and laziness of the test staff on display. I suppose there is some merit to evaluating a bike just as it is delivered, even though only maybe half of all buyers would leave them that way. But it's a lot more helpful to potential purchasers to know that some things are easy to correct, and what the bike is like once that's done.

A bud of mine that I race againest, just bought one and has rode it twice. He said he felt the push..................He's only dropped the forks a little (not reached first line yet)..........

my forks almost touch the bar's....................

this is the BEST turning bike I'm been on............(no Kawi or KTM)

No push....................

but my 2006 YZ 250Z feels sketchy....... ( 250 only ridden twice, too much FUN on the 450!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

• aford541

Posted January 25, 2006 - 06:35 PM

Truth is who really cares about what Dirt Rider or any other mag says about the bike, I bought an 02,03,04,05 & 06 YZ's in retrospect it Would have been better to buy a Honda but I didn't and I stuck with Blue and modded the crap out of them which I like to do anyway.
When the details on the 06 were released I called my buddies at Enzo because they had been testing the bike for the past several months for Yamaha.
They said that the bike was great and that it was more sensitive to rear spring changes and sag settings compared to the previous design.
I believe that the Yamaha engine is the best because of the 5 valve design, the added intake valve area really changes the options available regarding cam design. which makes it a more durable design with more flexibility from a manufacturing point of view, now if they could do that with the unicam it would be awesome.
I know that Enzo can make magic with any suspension and that the 06 stuff was the best yet. So what is left is the chassis what does it do anyway, I don't think there is any black magic I think the angles are all very close to the same as the steel framed bike. Doug Dubach had tons of input into the development of this bike same as all of the other four strokes.
The bike was pretty much guaranteed not to suck so I bought another one.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.