Can riding in the cold hurt my bike?

7 replies to this topic
  • Yamaguy4Life

Posted January 24, 2006 - 09:29 AM

From time to time I get a chance to get out during the winter. I'm always worried that the cold air will cause a problem with my bike. If the bike cools after being ridden can I have problems? What other cold weather concerns should I worry about? Is it even worth risking for a couple of extra rides?

• moto_xxx

Posted January 24, 2006 - 09:45 AM

Bikes tend to run better in the cold at least from my experience. Wont hurt a thing as long as you let it warm up before you start revving the hell out of it!

• RD73

Posted January 24, 2006 - 09:49 AM

Cold air will not harm your bike. Since cold air is more dense, it should perform better.

You should use caution when hitting really cold water. Extremely cold water on hot motor can be a bad combination.

• bg10459

Posted January 24, 2006 - 10:13 AM

Cold weather could potentially harm your bike if you were previously jetted for real hot, humid weather. Your bike would then be too lean, but it would run like crap; you would know something was wrong.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • biznet1

Posted January 24, 2006 - 10:29 AM

Cold weather could potentially harm your bike if you were previously jetted for real hot, humid weather. Your bike would then be too lean, but it would run like crap; you would know something was wrong.

That is correct. Just make sure you don't have EXCESSIVE backfiring. I you have to do is open your fuel screw a 1/4 to 1/2 a turn to adjust for the temp, unless it's already beyond the stock setting.

• jimmyg

Posted January 24, 2006 - 12:53 PM

i ride all winter long on the ice[downto below o deg f ] it wont cause you any problems as lot as you got it jetted corectly & have antifreeze in it.

• NYMXer

Posted January 24, 2006 - 02:14 PM

I am sure that if you can take the cold.................your bike can too!

• motospode

Posted January 24, 2006 - 06:59 PM

As long as you have place to get bike warmed up so it will start and if u richen the jetting you wont have a problem..last year i raced my 04 yz250f in tower minnesota and it was -25 to -30 degrees F now thats cold and it ran great just kept it in the trailer until my race.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.