06 WR450F Cutting out on top end

7 replies to this topic
  • phatcat99

Posted January 24, 2006 - 07:52 AM

Bought 06 WR450F a few weeks ago. Broke it in with no problems. Had a FMF Factory 4 slip-on exhaust put on at local shop and they rejetted carb. Kept stock header. I did airbox & gray wire mod myself. AIS removal kit on back-order. Went out this past Sunday and it ran like an absolute beast for about an hour. Mostly stayed on the beach as I was with a friend who's just learning to ride. After an hour or so it started cutting out above mid-throttle. I thought I was running low on gas so i turned to reserve. Still was cutting out. I dropped into the woods for a few minutes and it ran great as long as I didn't open the throotle too wide. I'm not the smartest guy when it comes to jetting but I think this may be my problem. Anyone experience the same thing or any suggestions?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• dbailey223

Posted January 24, 2006 - 09:21 AM

The beach in Oklahoma? A lake beach?

• phatcat99

Posted January 24, 2006 - 09:43 AM

Yeah man...ocean front property :thumbsup: Appalacia Bay @ Keystone Lake. Wide open beaches as long as the lake's down.

• TeamScream

Posted January 24, 2006 - 10:05 AM

The beach in Oklahoma? A lake beach?

No....the beach bro, you know...the beach......the one where New Orleans and Texas used to be.....lol.....sorry.....bad joke.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dbailey223

Posted January 24, 2006 - 10:55 AM

Do you what jets are in it now? Could be that you're too rich or lean and fouled the plug?

• phatcat99

Posted January 24, 2006 - 11:02 AM

Couldn't tell ya what jets are currently in it. When we ordered the exhaust we also ordered the jet kit that FMF suggested. I've decided I'm just gonna take it back to the same shop and see if the main jet is loose or fell out completely. I'm also gonna put a new plug in just to eliminate that issue. I just came from a KX250 2-smoke thinking my plug changing days were over!!

• MotoGoalie

Posted January 24, 2006 - 11:43 AM

Couldn't tell ya what jets are currently in it. When we ordered the exhaust we also ordered the jet kit that FMF suggested. I've decided I'm just gonna take it back to the same shop and see if the main jet is loose or fell out completely. I'm also gonna put a new plug in just to eliminate that issue. I just came from a KX250 2-smoke thinking my plug changing days were over!!

If a main jet falls out the bike will not run. You really ought to get a full run down of what your jetting setup is. These bikes can foul plugs also.

• phatcat99

Posted January 24, 2006 - 01:41 PM

Just dropped the bike off at the shop. Guy calls me 15 minutes later saying the bike is as strong as an ox through all gears & throttle ranges. This is just my luck!! :thumbsup: He's gonna drain the gas in the tank just in case of water & put in new plug. We'll see what happens.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.