red hot??

9 replies to this topic
  • kenmcl

Posted January 23, 2006 - 10:14 PM

I suspect that this will be a silly question to most but..

I have a brand new WR 450 and tonight i started it in the dark...the pipe became instantly red that normal? :thumbsup:

• WheelsUp

Posted January 23, 2006 - 10:28 PM

• Koko Azuela

Posted January 24, 2006 - 11:39 AM

Yep, completely normal!! :thumbsup:

• dbailey223

Posted January 24, 2006 - 11:48 AM

Mine doesn't and never has--guess I'm more abnormal that I thought!

• freestyle250

Posted January 24, 2006 - 03:07 PM

Perfectly normal, just dont be stupid like I did and started to take the skid plate off after a ride. When i was yankin on the wrench, it popped the screw loose and my knuckle went right on the pipe. The skin is still a different shade of red, and that was almost a year ago.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WR450F_RDR

Posted January 24, 2006 - 06:32 PM

most bikes from the factory are jetted a little lean accounting for the header turning red. just richen it up a little bit and by that I mean maybe an 1/8 turn and the red will go away.

• tcmII

Posted January 24, 2006 - 06:35 PM

God I love this question :thumbsup:

Seems like everone who starts there WR or YZ at night asks this question.

Absolutely normal. This can be see on a bikes and cars with single wall tubing for exhust in the dark.

• Desracer

Posted January 24, 2006 - 10:05 PM

Too lean, with the stock jetting it will glow easy. How does it start? I have the JD red needle and a 48 pilot and no red glow, its hot but not red hot. My 03 and 05 are the same.

• Lewis_YFZ_450

Posted January 24, 2006 - 10:12 PM

Yea, my quad and bike both do it. I think its kinda romantic, sometimes me and my girlfriend put my quad in the driveway, start it, get a chair and cuddle up to it, roast marshmallows and stuff like that.

Posted January 25, 2006 - 01:03 PM

Mine does too but it does't get around past the radiator. The carb was stopped up when I bought the bike. If it had gas in it for a while you might try blowing the carb out if its real bad. I'd go up on the pilot jet while I had the carb apart. The owner of the local Honda dealership told me that all the competition bikes are jetted for around 70 degrees and California air.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.