OH NO! A blown out seal around the shifter.

9 replies to this topic
  • kawirider

Posted January 23, 2006 - 02:08 PM

I recently posted something about this earlier, and grayracer said that if I moved the bike and oil was still coming out, then it was the seal around the shifter. Well I moved my bike and it dropped some more oil, and after looking at it, it looks like the seal around the shifter is where it is coming from. My friend who has a YZ250 has said that to change out that little rubber seal that you have to split the cases. I dont have the know how to do that, nor do we want to spend $400 to get 1 little seal changed. So, my question is, do you really have to split the cases to change the rubber seal where the shifter goes into the transmission?

• Shawn_Mc

Posted January 23, 2006 - 02:50 PM

I doubt the seal gets inserted from the inside. That means just jam a small screw driver in it and pry it out and push a new seal in there. Just becareful about scratching the shifter shaft and the cases.

Lay the bike on the throttle side so you can see what youre doing. And get it good and clean before you start messin around with it.

• thumper victim

Posted January 23, 2006 - 07:21 PM

shut the gas off lay the bike on it's side,take the shifter off,get some small self tapping sheet metal screws, drive them into the rubber part of the seal(it's junk anyway) then gently pry on the screws,it should pop right out,apply a !! little !! heat w/ a propane torch if it sticks,dont heat the area too much or you'll be doing a counter shaft seal too.

• grayracer513

Posted January 23, 2006 - 07:26 PM

Follow Shawn's advice....and stop listening to your friend. :thumbsup:

• kawirider

Posted January 23, 2006 - 07:26 PM

So, I am guessing you have done this before on your 426?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 23, 2006 - 11:17 PM

I've done that sort of thing enough times to know it's a piece of cake. :thumbsup: Do it just like Shawn laid it out.

Posted January 24, 2006 - 05:52 AM

Get aset of these www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_useBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00941634000 they work great for small seals and o-rings, and countless other things. :thumbsup:
Good luck... :bonk:
Oh yeah, find a deap socket the same diameter as the seal to drive the new one in with, being careful to keep it square.

• NYMXer

Posted January 24, 2006 - 06:28 AM

90% of the time when a shifter shaft is leaking it is due to a bent shaft and not the seal. If you think about the job that seal has to do, or really not do (very little movement of the parts, non rotating) you can see how it is unlikely that the seal is your problem. Did you wreck or throw a chain lately?

• grayracer513

Posted January 24, 2006 - 08:42 AM

While you're down there, don't forget to check the neutral switch for cracks, and be sure the drain plug and return line are tight.

• R_Little

Posted January 24, 2006 - 09:32 AM

Make sure the engine breather line is free and "puffing" when you run the bike.

Rode my Wr in a couple of muddy enduros with a big skid plate. Both times the countershaft seal started to leak. I pulled it out and replaced it. next muddy enduro it did it again. Seems the breather tube got clogged with mudd and the oil found its way out the cs seal. I keep it clear and my problems have disapeared.

Related Content

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.