Suspension valves

3 replies to this topic
  • dbailey223

Posted January 23, 2006 - 01:14 PM


Are the suspension valves (fork and rear) something that I could upgrade on my own, or is that the part of the suspension better left to the pros with the right tools?

  • Martys

Posted January 23, 2006 - 02:09 PM


Motopower Video Productions sell DVD's that cover complete fork and Shock maintenance. The DVD's shows how to take the valves and shims apart. It does not give specific recommendations for shim/valve modifications but it does describe how they operate.

The DVD's are bike specific but there isn't one availabe for your bike yet. We filmed the fork on an '02 wr426F which is slightly different. If you're mechanically inclined you can probably figure out the difference with the aid of the service manual. We are planning to film both the shock and fork soon. Check out

Good luck.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dbailey223

Posted January 23, 2006 - 03:30 PM


What is the part of suspension work that is reserved for the pros? I thought I read in here to avoid doing something, and I can't remember or find it. Was it the nitrogen? If so, is that related to the valves at all?

  • Martys

Posted January 23, 2006 - 05:19 PM


The pro's get several pcs of information from you (weight, riding experience, type of terrain, issues about handling...) and suggest specific valves, shims, preload.... You can get the same information from racetech or other aftermarket manufacturers when you purchase their parts. The aftermarket parts suppliers give you an installation sheet that shows the specific order to put the shims and valve. If you want to stick to stock valves and play around with shim stacks, you can get feedback from other TT's about the modifications they've done to their suspension. The remaining Pro advantage is knowing the tips and tricks to assembly, cleaning and reassembly. That's what's shown on the DVD. We don't recommend specific valves or shim stacks though.

The shock requires a nitrogen charge. You can probably get your local shop to charge it for you. I'd check with them first.

Good luck


Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.