06 450f front end sticking?

10 replies to this topic
  • gdbarr1976

Posted January 23, 2006 - 09:52 AM

The magazines say the front end doesn't stick so it must be true, right? Anyway, I noticed the same problem with mine but seem to have cured it with a new front tire and most importantly raising the forks about 1/8 inch passsed the first mark. My qestion is this, what is everyone else doing to solve this problem?

• SureBlue

Posted January 23, 2006 - 11:36 AM

Everybody's doing what you did too. And you need to set the correct rear sag, that is under 100 mm. And needless to say you need proper spring rates for your weight. :thumbsup:

• jgerdi

Posted January 23, 2006 - 11:36 AM

Hopefully I too will have an 06 in my garage by the weekend. I rode a guys 06 at the track this week end and he said he was ordering 10mm higher bar mounts in order to move the forks up. Is that necessary or cheaper than buying new bars? According to mx action they say higher bars,90/100 front tire,and slide the forks up.
By the way , I rode an 06 rmz450 and 06yz450f back to back this weekend. The verdict is. rmz vibrates, It really does. It did corner amazingly but thats it. the 4speed left me guessing when approaching jumps. The yz was as light in the air as my crf250, and handles braking bumps like they're not there, and yes it is nice to have a gear for everything. It does corner better than my crf250 but if they say a front tire and some bars will make it corner like the rmz ... It doesn't get any better.

• MXKyle

Posted January 23, 2006 - 11:57 AM

I'm still working on the turning. :bonk:

After changing the tire and moving the forks the bike turns great as long as there is any kind of berm, groove or rut. The suspension feels pretty good but I don't think I have it optimized for my track conditions and skill level yet. It was still pushing a lot on loose flat turns but by softening the compression a couple of clicks on the forks it's closer. I plan to slow the shock a hair the next time I go out because it feels like the problems I have left with the turning are related to the rear not following over the bumps and causing the front end to push.

My biggest problem with this new bike is over jumping the big jumps. :thumbsup:

--KT--

• DPW

Posted January 23, 2006 - 12:01 PM

I rode a guys 06 at the track this week end and he said he was ordering 10mm higher bar mounts in order to move the forks up.

You don't need new bar mounts to move the forks up, unless you are moving them up 2" or something.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gdbarr1976

Posted January 23, 2006 - 02:54 PM

I'm just wondering if the speed sensitive damping, which works great for the small stuff in a strait line, is part of the problem? Maybe in a turn it is not settling into the stroke because the forks are getting confused? I can't believe that yamaha got the geometry wrong. Something else is going on.

• RAMARION

Posted January 23, 2006 - 05:54 PM

The magazines say the front end doesn't stick so it must be true, right? Anyway, I noticed the same problem with mine but seem to have cured it with a new front tire and most importantly raising the forks about 1/8 inch passsed the first mark. My qestion is this, what is everyone else doing to solve this problem?

I never noticed the problem........................

but then, I raised the forks before my first ride............... :thumbsup:

which I do on all my bikes..............

when I start going faster and or learn how to turn, I can drop them back down.......... :bonk:

this bike turns much better than my 06 250f...............

• 2012 450 xc-w

Posted January 23, 2006 - 05:59 PM

using a dunlop 755 front.

• Dolce_Grappa

Posted January 23, 2006 - 06:22 PM

The yz was as light in the air as my crf250... It does corner better than my crf250 but if they say a front tire and some bars will make it corner like the rmz ... It doesn't get any better.

How's the riding position compared to the CRF? I rode a stock one three weeks ago, it felt a little cramped like it needed a different bar position or bars. I thought cornering on both of the CRF's was fantastic, if '06 blue is a good as the 05'CRF 250 and the 04'CRF450 at cornering. I believe my choice is made, plus my wife said, "You're not aloud to be a Honda lover." Direct Quote

• dangwartz

Posted January 23, 2006 - 08:08 PM

Mags say:
  • Install taller bars.
  • Slide forks up just past the first mark.
  • Set race sag to 98mm.
Curious to know if this works for you.

• jeffboyd47m

Posted January 24, 2006 - 07:21 AM

using a dunlop 755 front.

I put a 755 on my bike also and it helped alot. I really don`t understand why this tire is so underrated. It has a good stiff sidewall which makes it pretty durable and flat resistent, Yet it still preforms well.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.