Looking to get a SCOTTS Stabilizer.... WHo has the be$t price?

20 replies to this topic
  • Mescalero

Posted January 23, 2006 - 08:56 AM

I already have the sub mount.... just need the stabilizer. Wheres the best deal?

• roadcam

Posted January 23, 2006 - 09:50 AM

ya might do a search in eBay, too .. :thumbsup:

• Mescalero

Posted January 23, 2006 - 12:29 PM

Nothing on E-Bay for the 650R......

• hill5150

Posted January 23, 2006 - 04:13 PM

Try BRPIT..................The unit is gonna cost ya, but it sure beats thousands of dollars in Hospital bills......

• XR4DEZ

Posted January 23, 2006 - 05:54 PM

Just call Scotts.

• mikekay

Posted January 23, 2006 - 06:00 PM

theres no deals on new ones. even pro's pay.

ebay or start saving up.

you can convert any scotts to any bike.

• xr-jorger

Posted January 23, 2006 - 06:59 PM

if you have the mount the stabilizers are the same for all bikes, bought mine on ebay for $200, works just like new, cept I didnt pay full price :thumbsup: I love ebay... http://cgi.ebay.com/...sspagenameZWDVW this link its going for $200 with 4days left

http://cgi.ebay.com/...sspagenameZWDVW heres one with less than 1 day for $152, who cares what mount he sends you just sell it when you get back on ebay

• BIG RED

Posted January 23, 2006 - 07:47 PM

They are "NOT" the same for all bikes! some adds will tell you they are, but the road and dirt models are different. on the face of the stabilizer there is an "R" stamped at the top on the road models. if its not stamped then its a dirt model. the difference is that dirt model only dampens away from center and the road model dampens both ways

• x thread

Posted January 23, 2006 - 08:01 PM

I already have the sub mount.... just need the stabilizer. Wheres the best deal?

give brp in irvine they quoted me 409.00 for forward mount and stabilizer .scotts wants 429.00 plus tax.

• Mescalero

Posted January 24, 2006 - 06:56 AM

Thanks for all the info...... I think. I'll check out all avenues mentioned.

:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Frontside720

Posted January 26, 2006 - 01:35 PM

They are "NOT" the same for all bikes! some adds will tell you they are, but the road and dirt models are different. on the face of the stabilizer there is an "R" stamped at the top on the road models. if its not stamped then its a dirt model. the difference is that dirt model only dampens away from center and the road model dampens both ways

Actually they are the same the only difference is the Flat Arm (street bikes) vs. the Stepped Arm (Dirt). If you buy one with the flat arm you can simply buy the stepped arm and a puller from scotts for about $50.

I have a scotts damper with the flat arm for my R1 and I plan on using it on my dirt so I will need to change the Arm every time I switch bikes. 5-10min

Also if your buying a used bike, find out how many miles on the damper. 10,000 miles (street) is around the time you need to get them rebuilt.

Hope this helps.

• Chas_M

Posted January 26, 2006 - 02:58 PM

Actually they are the same the only difference is the Flat Arm (street bikes) vs. the Stepped Arm (Dirt). If you buy one with the flat arm you can simply buy the stepped arm and a puller from scotts for about $50.

I have a scotts damper with the flat arm for my R1 and I plan on using it on my dirt so I will need to change the Arm every time I switch bikes. 5-10min

Also if your buying a used bike, find out how many miles on the damper. 10,000 miles (street) is around the time you need to get them rebuilt.

Hope this helps.

In addition to the arm, there are differences in internal damping between the street and dirt versions.

• TREADMARKS

Posted January 26, 2006 - 03:59 PM

In addition to the arm, there are differences in internal damping between the street and dirt versions.

According to Scotts, a street bike stabilizer dampens away from center, and back to center-where as a dirt bike stabilizer dampens away from center, and does not dampen back to center. Apparently this allows for quicker recovery in the dirt.

My question is which is best for supermoto and street driving on a dirt bike???

• oldturtle

Posted January 26, 2006 - 04:29 PM

The Scotts dirt stabilizers also may be different because the arms come in different lengths depending on the application. Some situations require arm to be forward and some go backwards. All this means is that you may need to special order a different arm and you may or may not need the arm puller tool.

• wr450fyamaha

Posted January 26, 2006 - 06:28 PM

Try BRPIT..................The unit is gonna cost ya, but it sure beats thousands of dollars in Hospital bills......

my medical insurance covers that :thumbsup: :bonk:

• BIG RED

Posted January 28, 2006 - 12:02 PM

I had one off my gsxr and scotts said they are not the same and i would need to buy a dirt model. they stamp an r on the body because they are intenaly different. i now have bought my dirt model and i can tell you they "ARE" different.

• hill5150

Posted January 28, 2006 - 12:24 PM

Get a Huffy, you'll live longer.

• Frontside720

Posted January 31, 2006 - 07:30 AM

I had one off my gsxr and scotts said they are not the same and i would need to buy a dirt model. they stamp an r on the body because they are intenaly different. i now have bought my dirt model and i can tell you they "ARE" different.

Well you got hosed or you talked to someone who didn't know what they were talking about. I called them last week before my post and I got confirmation that they were the same. I'm not sure if your Gixxer needed a special damper but my R1 is the same.

• Desertskyy

Posted January 31, 2006 - 08:15 AM

Whether you have medical insurance or not; a stabilizer can help prevent an injury 50 miles away from no where. Maybe you just do circles around your pick up truck???

Also the Scotts stabilizer for the street and dirt are different.

• BIG RED

Posted January 31, 2006 - 03:21 PM

Frontside; Did they tell you why they stamp the road models with an "R"?

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.