Baja Designs Baffle/HRC Spark Arrester

11 replies to this topic
  • PigRider

Posted January 23, 2006 - 07:34 AM

xr650r is the bike

Just purchased the Baja Designs Baja Baffle and the HRC Spark Arrestor from Baja Designs. Using the OEM muffler. Two problems:

1. The 3 holes for the spark arrestor that should align with the holes in the muffler are close but don't align perfecty. (There are 3 screws that hold it on) The stock sparker arrester that was on the bike aligns perfectly. Has anyone else experience this? I'll have drill out the holes slight if I want it to work.

2. The baffle that goes inside the spark arrester does not go in easily. In fact, I don't see how it's going in all the way without major hammer action. It's that tight.

Has anyone else had experience with this setup? Any suggestions appreciated. I almost wonder if they sent the wrong parts?

• wickedsprint

Posted January 23, 2006 - 07:39 AM

They probably sent the wrong one, I would not alter your muffler.

• PigRider

Posted January 23, 2006 - 07:58 AM

That's what I'm thinking, it must be the wrong spark arrester. I am going to call them today to discuss.

• motopsycho650

Posted January 23, 2006 - 08:04 AM

I would think it has to be wrong. My HRC spark arrester fit perfectly.

Let me know how much power (if any) you think is lost with the baja designs baffle. I have had a warning for the noise my bike makes. If it is still a pretty un-restrictive baffle, I might buy one.

• wickedsprint

Posted January 23, 2006 - 08:06 AM

is the HRC one really that loud? My drilled stock baffle sounds just about perfect as far as not being too loud...

• PigRider

Posted January 23, 2006 - 08:25 AM

I do have the stock tip drilled with the OEM baffle now, the sound doesn't affend me but I doubt it could pass the 94db limit in Michigan. I am hoping that the HRC sparky with the Baja Designs baffle will give the performance I want while making it slightly quieter. The Michigan Cycle Conservation Club, who are outstanding for promoting trail usage (over 3000 miles) are really pushing to keep things quiet and I want to do my part.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Xr650rhonda

Posted January 23, 2006 - 12:24 PM

I do have the stock tip drilled with the OEM baffle now, the sound doesn't affend me but I doubt it could pass the 94db limit in Michigan. I am hoping that the HRC sparky with the Baja Designs baffle will give the performance I want while making it slightly quieter. The Michigan Cycle Conservation Club, who are outstanding for promoting trail usage (over 3000 miles) are really pushing to keep things quiet and I want to do my part.

If the stock cored out tip still has the forward baffle attached, I would think it would pass here in Michigan, one of my many tips is like that and is quiet with good performance. My Baja Design Baffle is a insert with only one set screw, you must have the wrong one! The only exhaust I know that had great performance and was quiet(94 Db's), was the "CRD Exhaust" and they no longer make it for the Xr650r. To ride C.C.C scheduled rides you need the forestry approved stamping and the HRC tip with Baja baffle does not have that, if your sending it back, think about a refund.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted January 23, 2006 - 12:32 PM

I have the Honda Power up spark arrester and I also have the Baja Designs baffle. The baffle does quiet the bike considerably. There is also a power loss. I have a Stage 1 Hotcam also. My buddy who has the stock cam says he only notices a slight power loss. Not enough to make him pull the baffle. I pull the baffle most of the time cause I prefer the unbaffled power. When the state starts enforcing the sound limits I will intall the baffle and look for other ways to regain the power lost.

• oldturtle

Posted January 23, 2006 - 02:51 PM

I run the HRC power up kit spark arrestor alone on my 650R with no additional baffle. I have passed the Calif mandatory 96 dba sound test several times at the Mendocino National Forest sound tests. It was right at the 96 dba limit but they always let me slide.

• motopsycho650

Posted January 23, 2006 - 04:06 PM

is the HRC one really that loud? My drilled stock baffle sounds just about perfect as far as not being too loud...

Not sure how much of a difference there is, but the HRC tip is LOUD. It's not bad for the person on the bike, but to everyone else, it is LOUD.

I run the HRC power up kit spark arrestor alone on my 650R with no additional baffle. I have passed the Calif mandatory 96 dba sound test several times at the Mendocino National Forest sound tests. It was right at the 96 dba limit but they always let me slide.

That's good to know. I could have sworn it sounded louder than that. Besides a race, Where could I get it tested? a local police dept.?

• PigRider

Posted January 24, 2006 - 05:52 AM

I spoke with Baja Designs, they were great. They are sending another baffle and spark arrester, hopefully the right ones this time. Assuming it works, I will send the original ones back. I thought it was cool that they quickly agreed to send out the stuff without me sending the original order back. Very good customer service. As far as the spark arrester, it does not have the US Forestry stamp? I had not noticed. Since it is a spark arrester, why would it not have the stamp of approval?

• motopsycho650

Posted January 24, 2006 - 07:10 AM

my HRC exhaust tip does not have any kind of sramp. I did have a ranger check it one day, but he didn't question anything.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.