Additional airbox mods. What is to be gained/

15 replies to this topic
  • AUS_WR450

Posted January 22, 2006 - 10:48 PM

I was wondering what are the gains of modifying an airbox as shown in the following pics. I never ride near water, hence deep rivers will never be a problem for me.

How would these mods affect the jetting?

airbox mod 1

airbox mod 2

airbox mod 3

• Matty05

Posted January 23, 2006 - 03:10 AM

It might make your jetting lean, but the more air available the better. Should gain a little on the top end.
Your next step might be to take out the mesh from the cage. This boosts airflow considerably. Think about how much surface area that mesh is taking up.

• DoubleD650

Posted January 23, 2006 - 03:24 AM

Holly Crap Dude :thumbsup:
That would be enough air for a big block chevy!
Yea on the leaner but do you think one cylinder can suck up that much air?
I can see a modest hole in the top but,,, looks like termites...over kill !

• ncmountainman

Posted January 23, 2006 - 07:25 AM

waaaay too much :bonk: i'd say just riding that in the rain would be an issue :thumbsup:

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted January 23, 2006 - 07:32 AM

Man, you went to town with that one.. :thumbsup:

• dreadrock

Posted January 23, 2006 - 07:50 AM

wow theres no way i could do that in ohio. that box would be filled with water and mud , not good :thumbsup:

04 WR450f
04 Crf150f

• steve lemley

Posted January 23, 2006 - 08:12 AM

Put Down The Drill... :thumbsup:

• ncmountainman

Posted January 23, 2006 - 08:25 AM

on the bright side,he shaved off about a 1/2 lb :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Indy_WR450

Posted January 23, 2006 - 08:36 AM

Air box mod #1 is all you need patch the others up or buy a new box and do it again. :thumbsup:

• steve lemley

Posted January 23, 2006 - 01:28 PM

anybody have any realistic pictures of a 99 air box thats been done? Thanks.

• tony1970

Posted January 23, 2006 - 04:31 PM

Put Down The Drill... :bonk:

......AND BACK AWAY WITH YOUR HANDS UP! :thumbsup:

• AUS_WR450

Posted January 23, 2006 - 05:47 PM

Mmmmm. There seems to be a bit of a general consensus developing here. It strangely contradicts the expert advice that I was given by Marcus Moberg. He said that the more I cut out of the airbox, the faster my WR will go. He told me he had the fastest WR in the US, so I trusted his judgement. I figured that with the 3 World Enduro Championships and World Land Speed record under his belt, he would know what he is talking about. :thumbsup:

On another note, thanks for all your advice on the matter. :thumbsup: Now lets see, where is that yamaha part number for a new airbox.
:bonk:

• ncmountainman

Posted January 24, 2006 - 05:40 AM

we can call that the "moberg mod" :thumbsup:

• Indy_WR450

Posted January 24, 2006 - 07:05 AM

Mmmmm. There seems to be a bit of a general consensus developing here. It strangely contradicts the expert advice that I was given by Marcus Moberg. He said that the more I cut out of the airbox, the faster my WR will go. He told me he had the fastest WR in the US, so I trusted his judgement. I figured that with the 3 World Enduro Championships and World Land Speed record under his belt, he would know what he is talking about. :thumbsup:

:bonk: :thumbsup: :eek: :p :worthy: :cool: :prof: :lol: :lol: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :foul: :foul: :banana: :banana:

We all love our resident TT mod expert MarcusMoberg!

• steve lemley

Posted January 24, 2006 - 09:17 AM

without doing the now famous "moberg mod", where would be the best place to open up a 99 wr400 airbox a little bit. I do ride in water (rain) sometimes and a puddle of mud every now and then so i dont want to make swiss cheese but a little somewhere. Any suggestions on the beast area of the box. pics welcome of course. Thanks guys.

• Trauma

Posted January 24, 2006 - 05:48 PM

I have to say, that I did the 12 hole drill out on my '03 250 and it seemed to make a significant difference. I never had an issue with rain or mud.

the '05 450 has just met my hands. I am yet to even ride it yet. It has most of the standard mods done though.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.