To part out or to sell whole, that is the question!

6 replies to this topic
  • thumpinscott

Posted January 22, 2006 - 10:28 PM

I have a 2000 YZ 426 in so cal and I am torn between the two. It has a problem with 5th gear, it skips dogs every once in a while. It's fine in all the other gears, but it is a problem. I have an aftermarket triple clamp with pro tapers, fmf pipe, GB mod, 03' cam, new tires and black or blue plastics, new x-ring chain and sprockets. It runs strong, but what do you think? What's one worth whole and is the sum of the parts worth more? I have already bought another bike, so time doesn't really matter. What do you think?

• djo269

Posted January 22, 2006 - 10:56 PM

If I had a fast internet connection(for online business purposes) and a digital camera, I would part it out online at Ebay or somewhere else. If I was in desperate need to sell for money then selling the bike complete is the best choice.
If I had all the stock parts lying around I would put the bike back to stock then sell it complete then sell the aftermarket parts separately. I dont know what yours is worth but you can check it out at (Kelley Blue Book)

• MichiganMXer

Posted January 22, 2006 - 11:43 PM

Dude, it'll take you 5 years to sell that bike in parts; and when its all done you would've spent it all on hamburgers.

Sell it whole. Add one more guy into the sport.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • biznet1

Posted January 23, 2006 - 04:27 AM

Dude, it'll take you 5 years to sell that bike in parts; and when its all done you would've spent it all on hamburgers.

Sell it whole. Add one more guy into the sport.

No at all. It's big business. Many people, including a friend of mine, make good money buying perfectly good bikes and parting them on Ebay. He could make $2000 in 30 days with parts left over if already has good feedback history.

• thumpinscott

Posted January 23, 2006 - 09:32 AM

I've been watching ebay and stuff is going very cheap these days. There is not a lot of demand for 426 stuff. Bikes in Cali hold value a little better, but still, it's such a pita.

• 642MX

Posted January 23, 2006 - 10:05 AM

I would fix it and sell it, I thought 426's where worth some money to off-road riders in California? Something about a green or red sticker?

• Dustin_Mabro

Posted January 23, 2006 - 10:08 AM

i know i'd be interested in parts

Related Content

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.