New to the YZ 400

5 replies to this topic
  • matt_sta71

Posted January 22, 2006 - 09:19 PM

Well I just bought my first bike and i like it for the most part!( except for the little hard to start issue!) haha Anyway guys I have a bunch of questions but I'll ask just one tonight....Is it normal for the header pipe to glow red hot after running the bike? If anyone coulf help I'd appreciate it.

matt

• grayracer513

Posted January 22, 2006 - 09:28 PM

Yes, if you let it idle for more than 1 or two minutes, it will.

• kawirider

Posted January 22, 2006 - 09:30 PM

If you are letting it sit and idle for extended periods, that is normal. But if you just start it up, ride it around the yard and kill it 45 seconds later and find it glowing red, then you are probably running lean.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • thumper victim

Posted January 23, 2006 - 07:07 PM

yah,that's completely normal,pretty freaky ,first time you notice it though. wait till a stick gets caught in the heat shield,smell like a forest fire goin' down the road.

• matt_sta71

Posted January 23, 2006 - 11:39 PM

Hey thanks guys for the comments. Helps out alot! Jeez tried to drain the oil this morning and the guy i bought the bike from must of put 8,000 lb of torque on that drain plug. haha Not to mention the plug was already stripped. So we had a hell of a time trying to get that plug out. Finally got it out to find that the drain hole is all stripped out. So now I have to figure out what to do next!

Welcome to the world of motorcycles huh! haha

• ridesblue1

Posted January 24, 2006 - 08:31 PM

hi i have the same bike and mine was stipped also when i went to do th oil for th first time you could try a heli coil i had to retap the hole and find a bigger sump plug :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.